Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know my Honda is an automatic. I must've mentioned a few times before that I had to replace the original with another used one, happened about a year ago. But i also found out that the new used trans has over 200K miles, and i wouldn't be surprised if i have to change it in the near future. I was thinking about doing a MT swap when the time comes, but i kinda like AT because of it's simplicity, no hassle no worries, just hit the accelerator.

As for MT i just recently got the hang of it, i'm actually very good at it now, but i haven't encountered any steep hills and such. but that shouldn't be a problem, but there's no chance that driving an MT will be as simple as an AT. but MT feels more sportier, but i have yet to drive a MT 2nd gen, what are your guys' opinions?

·
Registered
121 Posts
mines a MT and I like it way better than driving a AT. I dont know why I do, probibly because it seems like I have more control over what the car does, and gives that sportier feel like you said.

As for swaping from AT to MT that seems like alot of work to me, but if mine was an auto I would be considering it too. This is just my opinion at least

·
Registered
593 Posts
My personal opinion is that an automatic tranny should not be put with any motor with less than 150hp. I dont know what it is, but every car I've driven that was an auto just feels like your crawling at takeoff. And as a bonus, it's real easy to burn some rubber with a manual. Do it with an auto and you could fuck it up. That's if you like doing those sorts of things :) .

My 2 cents is in the pot.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm partial to manual transmissions for a car like the Prelude. You do get a better sense of control and your gas mileage should be better.

My 1986 Prelude's original 5 speed transmission made it to 375,000 miles so they can last a very long time.

It can be a bit scary the first time you need to get into gear on steep hill. My first exposure to that was on a visit to San Francisco and its super steep streets. But you figure that out in a hurry.

I'm not so sure about converting an automatic into a manual. As g2beater mentioned, that seems like a lot of work.

Bob

·
Registered
854 Posts
DON'T DO IT! from personal experience its not worth it, sell your auto and buy a manual one cause its going to cost more than your car is worth, plaese trust me you'll be saving your own ass

·
Registered
112 Posts
I ALWAYS prefer an AUTOMATIC.
But I'm old, fat, lazy and not sporty. :oops: :oops: :tongue:

My Qualude is an auto. and I've always been glad it was.

175,000 and still counting on the original tranny.
But, I've never done a single burn out with it.
I have other stuff to do those with. :) My Qualude is the 'backup car' for all the rest of my fleet. It runs when nothing else does.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
97preludeN.O. said:
DON'T DO IT! from personal experience its not worth it, sell your auto and buy a manual one cause its going to cost more than your car is worth, plaese trust me you'll be saving your own ass
Are you kidding?:Rock:
I'll never sell this thing!:tongue:
There's no way i'm going to find another 2g in this condition for a reasonable price. But maybe it isn't worth swapping, hmm.

I know how AT can feel sluggish on some cars, but it doesn't seem to be a problem for my lude, it's actually much more quicker than other MT cars that roll around 100hp. I want to do the swap because, one: the AT doesn't swich gears when i want it to, and two: it's more fun with a MT.

And may i ask what in the world is a Qualude?:Rock:

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
97preludeN.O. said:
swapping to a manual is not a hard swap if you have replaced a trans. before and can be without a car for the unexpected missing parts. on a FI 2nd gen it takes a few hours more them just a trans R&R as you have to swap out the pedals, add shift linkage , jumper the starter wire in shift position switch. install shift boot,gauge cluster is optional. the auto and M/T use the same ecu on this car!

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
stereo said:
swapping to a manual is not a hard swap if you have replaced a trans. before and can be without a car for the unexpected missing parts. on a FI 2nd gen it takes a few hours more them just a trans R&R as you have to swap out the pedals, add shift linkage , jumper the starter wire in shift position switch. install shift boot,gauge cluster is optional. the auto and M/T use the same ecu on this car!
Just replacing the trans itself was a pain, but i could do it again. But mine is a DX (base) so i don't think i have an ecu. So does this change anything?

I could have sworn there was a Trans swap sticky here.:Rock:

·
Registered
854 Posts
its just a bitch to get parts if you dont have a parts car, and it drains your wallet
you need an ecu no matter what you have. auto or manual...5th gens may be a little different

·
Registered
927 Posts
ive driven both a MT and AT 2ndgen both 1.8 twin carb and its like driving 2 totaly difrent cars

its just not the same

·
Registered
593 Posts
Trying to get my hands on an 86 si auto, so when I do, I'll drive mine (5spd) and then the auto one, and I'll tell you what I think :)

-- Cannot wait to get the other lude, I'll have two YAY! Feel like a 5 year old given a million bucks

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
InjectionIsBetter said:
Trying to get my hands on an 86 si auto, so when I do, I'll drive mine (5spd) and then the auto one, and I'll tell you what I think :)

-- Cannot wait to get the other lude, I'll have two YAY! Feel like a 5 year old given a million bucks
Cool, you better take some photos of it!:devil: :lol:

I really want to drive MT DX as well as an Si. I bet there's a world of difference like 180 says.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
most other cars the ECU is diffrent for auto and M/T but on the 2nd gen they use the same ECU on both. but since you have a Dx there is a ECU but it just controls the emission stuff ,idle,choke but as far as the swap it should be the same.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts