Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/car/156821764.html

Just called the owner. She says there's a small dent in the driver's side door (dunno what she means by small. Either small as in a half-inch ding, or "I got hit by a small car"). Clean interior, 177K miles. Shiny Red! 4WS! she doesn't know if it's a B20 or B21, but either would be better than a B20A3 that's not running :D Apparently already has CAI. Going to look at it tomorrow after class.

To prepare myself for possible disappointment, I'm imagining it looks worse than the last one I looked at, smells like cheese, and will actually be on fire when I see it. $2000 isn't bad at all for a relatively low-mileage 4ws, right? And it's red! I like red. :D She's also driving it right now, which means it is in driveable shape, unlike the last one.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JDM B20A swap, then :D Keep the B21 around for smog day.

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
SquishyPanda said:
(dunno what she means by small. Either small as in a half-inch ding, or "I got hit by a small car").
SquishyPanda said:
To prepare myself for possible disappointment, I'm imagining it looks worse than the last one I looked at, smells like cheese, and will actually be on fire when I see it.
these 2 quotes kill me :lol:

sounds like it could be a good deal...depending on the size of the dent there :razz:

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
team123luder said:
You can smog a JDM engine. You just need all the sensors hooked especially the EGR. If the engine is of the same year or newer that is. If it's older like say a 87 (88 model in the US) and the US car is a 91 then it wont pass smog..
The smog station guy doesn't look at the block stamp? If so all I'd really need to do is swap manifolds, right?

·
Registered
61 Posts

·
www.Zohf.com
3,612 Posts
tsiah said:
these 2 quotes kill me :lol:

sounds like it could be a good deal...depending on the size of the dent there :razz:
haha, I was crackin up too...

good luck on the lude :emthup:

·
Registered
326 Posts
i feel bad for you.

i dont have to smog jack shit.

no inspection, no nothing. all i have to do is get tags, andget insurance, and im good to go

·
Registered
67 Posts
SquishyPanda said:
The smog station guy doesn't look at the block stamp? If so all I'd really need to do is swap manifolds, right?
They never check the block stamp in nevada, I know that.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The Prelude Gods are a Capricious Bunch...

Ok here's the deal:

Stuff I like:
  • JDM B20A, 30K miles since the swap, so the engine is no older than 70k.
  • Fresh paint. There's some overspray here and there on weatherstripping and stuff, but I can deal with it
  • Clean interior, despite being a smoker's car.
  • Alarm tied into power locks.
  • 4ws
  • New tires
  • New clutch
  • New timing belt
  • New water pump
Stuff I can deal with:
  • Leaky PS hose
  • Right side taillight needs to be replaced
  • Crappy short ram (stock airbox is in the trunk)
  • Crappy muffler (would swap my setup from the S)
  • Bouncy Idle probably caused by short ram.
  • Ash tray full of ashes and cigarette butts instead of change and receipts.
Stuff that makes me go "hmmm..."
  • Front bumper lights, if not whole bumper, need to be replaced. Obvious damage under the respray. Only light left is the inner one on the right side.
  • Left front quarter panel dented, not deep, but the dent is about the diameter of a basketball.
  • Rear bumper misaligned. This lady must hit a lot of stuff.
  • Rear motor mount shot. Violent *clunk* when hitting the gas.
  • There's a plug next to the distributor that isn't plugged into anything.
  • CEL
  • Shifter totally facked. She says she was told that the cables needed to be adjusted, but from what I know about the 3g shifter setup, I think the cables need to be replaced. Unless there's something wrong with the linkages on the tranny?
  • Didn't feel that gutsy. Might be because I couldn't romp on it or shift very well.
It has a US intake manifold on it with an EGR valve, but I'm still not entirely confident that it's smogable in CA. The swap was done after the last smog.

She says she's raced with it, too, and judging from the bumpers, I'm willing to bet she's not a very good driver.

Looking at that list of stuff that makes me go "Hmmmm" i wonder if I really want this car, at any price. Too many mysteries, too much stuff she doesn't know, or says she doesn't know.

Oops I forgot to check the lights... But something about the car just didn't feel right. I'd almost rather buy that rusted out one from earlier this week because it was bone stock and the lady had all the papers and was totally straight about everything. And didn't race it.

Opinions?

·
www.Zohf.com
3,612 Posts
Esh...tough call, has some goodies, plus 4ws, but if its rigged dude, honestly, its gonna be a nightmare. I'd say don't do it, regardless, its gonna be more work than fun. My best advice would be to go for a decent milage stocker, with 4ws, and mod it yourself...you can't go wrong if you do it right.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah i'd rather get my S running again than drive that 4ws. I know every nut and bolt on my S, and it feels right, even if it's not running perfectly. That 4ws felt like it was gonna fall apart around me any minute.

Maybe I should just go for a FI swap....

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Arm yourself with knowledge (and be confident!) and you might be able to snag that 4ws car for $1k, then you could swap the steering and engine over...

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
alanoneil said:
Arm yourself with knowledge (and be confident!) and you might be able to snag that 4ws car for $1k, then you could swap the steering and engine over...
I don't really want that engine, though. The rear motor mount is dead most likely because of constant hard shifting. If she drives that thing teh way she says she does, then that motor has 30,000 hard-driven poorly-maintained miles on it.

I could get the engine for $500, and live without the 4ws. I barely noticed it (might not even be working. forgot to check while it was parked). I could always get it later.

I'm gonna search for that thread where someone did the SI swap and just hybrided the wiring harnesses, so he didn't have to rip out the dash. That would save me a lot of trouble.

·
3rd Gener
452 Posts
the one and only smog check I did out in Cali before I came back to VA all they did was stick the sniffer in the pipe, hook up a timing computer up, and ran the test. passed no problem. that engine was replaced before I got the car from a friend, but it was a B20A5 where a B20A5 was supposed to be. I wouldn't want to even thing about truing to smog it now.... missing on a cylinder, 18MPG, sad just sad..... Passes VA inspection like that though! LOL:devil:

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I smogged my audi, the guy did a visual. Checked for egr and stuff. The audi doesn't have different block stamps for edm and usdm, though. Hondas have it right out in the open, and they're hte most likely candidates for illegal swaps (except maybe SR20DET's in 240's). But then it's an old honda. And I'll have a hell of a time finding a low-mileage usdm B20.

There is a big chunk of space after the "B20A" on the jdm engine, though. I could stamp a "5" on there afterward :D I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find a die that's the right font and size.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts