Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone i have a few questions and so on. First off im 19 years old with no car experience at all. I do know some basics but thats it. I LOVE the 3rd gen ludes. I plan on getting an 89 lude asap. I had one b4 but i just recently moved out of state and had to sell it.

So anyways like i said i really dont know what im doing when it comes to modifying cars. I know about the H22a swap...and i was thinking about trying that but i really wouldnt be able to do it myself and i dont know anyone here in Ohio.

So my question to all of you is....What should i do?

I know i am a newb please dont remind me and post things saying on how much i suck lol...and thank you to the ppl who post trying to help me

·
Registered
167 Posts
i would sugest just finding a smaller mechanic shop not some big franchise and ask them the cost of labor roughly for them to swap motors, and then order the motor and neccassary parts for the swap yourself

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so roughly...what would be a price range im looking at for the motor swap to happen? Ive seen the motor and everything i need to go with it a lil over 3k...can i find better?

·
blubyu
390 Posts
yes, you can the complete motor,tranny,ecu and wiring harnesss for right around 2k shipped. For the complete change over you lookin right around 4k but use the search it is your friend also people on pp.com to ask (1funryd,motoxxman,123teamluder,pimpstecy and of course me lol). These people can help you the most because they have either done the swap or actually in charge of getting the mount and axel for us (1funryd) let us know and keep us posted and keep luding!!!!!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Welcome to the site. I'm also near cleveland, and could possibly help you out in the future(busted foot right now). So you are looking to pick up a new lude?

·
BAN ALL MODS!!!
2,149 Posts
Welcome, read the Performance and Upgrade sticky before you even try to attempt anything. This link will have information from what Mounts to use, to Harness, to actual swap components.

http://preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257172

Once you read this and decide you want to tackle this, search for H22 swap. Tons of threads have been made by members here. Look at all of those for information to gather. What people did, how they did it, what if any issues and solutions. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the site. I'm also near cleveland, and could possibly help you out in the future(busted foot right now). So you are looking to pick up a new lude?
Yea i am looking for somewhere to buy a 3rd gen lude but at the moment i dont really have the money for one because i just moved here like 4 days ago. Once i get a job up and going I will start my look for a prelude that i can modify. Once i get that lude maybe ill hit you up sometime after i save up a couple grand.

And Thank you everyone for the welcoming and the tips. I think im really going to like pp.com Once i get my new lude ill be sure to put some pics up bc from what i have seen everyone love pics lol

Again thank you all:smile:

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Frist of all, Welcome to pp.com

All I can say is seeing that you don't have that much experience swapping out motors, research as much as possible.

You need to ask yourself a few questions first;

1) What tools do you have to work with?
2) Do you have a good space to work on your ride?
3) Do you have enough room to store parts while you work on it?
4) Do you have the time to wait for your ride until it's ready to drive again? In other words, do you have a DD while your Lude is being worked on?
5) Set yourself a budget on the swap or go wide open?
6) How much patience do you have? (Big question here)

Check out the link in my sig on my H22A swap, you might learn a little something.

Good luck with whatever you decide to choose, and remember, we are not just here to dog you, we also can help you with the info and push you to get your Lude rode worthy. No body on this site wants to see another Prelude get wasted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Frist of all, Welcome to pp.com

All I can say is seeing that you don't have that much experience swapping out motors, research as much as possible.

You need to ask yourself a few questions first;

1) What tools do you have to work with?
2) Do you have a good space to work on your ride?
3) Do you have enough room to store parts while you work on it?
4) Do you have the time to wait for your ride until it's ready to drive again? In other words, do you have a DD while your Lude is being worked on?
5) Set yourself a budget on the swap or go wide open?
6) How much patience do you have? (Big question here)

Check out the link in my sig on my H22A swap, you might learn a little something.

Good luck with whatever you decide to choose, and remember, we are not just here to dog you, we also can help you with the info and push you to get your Lude rode worthy. No body on this site wants to see another Prelude get wasted.
Thanks for the welcoming. I have been reading alot about swaps the past couple days. And from what i have read I might need a lil help with all that lol.

But to answer those questions...
1.right now i have almost no tools

2.the place im at has a 3 car garage so i dont think space will be a problem

3.like i said space isnt really a problem

4.Well...like i said in my first post...i just moved here and i dont have any car at the moment bt i am looking for one right after i get up the money

5.once i get my job up and going im pretty much going to be on a budget bt seeing as how the only real bills i am payin is for my cell and insurence...i think i can afford to buy things kinda quickly

6. as for patience i have alot of

But like i said i really dont know what im doin...and i really dont have the tools do so. I love ludes. i want to have a good lookin lude like the rest of yall on pp.com and i really appriciate all the advice everyone has givin me

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Oh snap!!!!! A 3 car garage :) that's sweet!

First of all, you are going to need a really good metric socket set. I got mine at Sears when they were running a sale. Right now is one of the best times to be looking at getting tools. With the economy hurting like it is, you should be able to get a pretty good deal. A good or decent engine lift never hurts when it comes to swapping out engines. Pawn shops or flea markets are a great place to get deals. People are hurting for money so they sell..sell...sell...

As for not knowing that much, well, you are in the same boat as many. I didn't even have a clue about these types of cars until I started reading as much as I could. I used to work on American cars all the time. A totaly different animal.

I now have 4 different types of manuals to refer to because of my swap, I went from the basic S model to the 92-95 H22A. I have the motor running as we speak but I don't have the time to get it all put back together. I'm really busy with a ton going on away from my ride.

One more thing to remember, we are here to help, a dumb question is the one that you never ask. The worst case would be for a mod to say something about what you posted and just lock the thread. I've seen that a lot.

Also, use the special little "search" feature on here. It will be your friend.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i believe that after i get my job rolling and find someone selling a lude...i think i can get this thing rolling...i might have to go buy a DD also lol some cheap car that gets me from A to B...I was almost sure that i would of have to take it to a shop for someone else to do the swap seeing as how ive never worked on a car b4. Im new to the car game bt i love ludes so much that i want to learn all i can...and maybe one day win that lude of the month goin on around here lol :tounge:

But yea my first project on a car is going to be a H22a swap...how exciting lol...i can already see it now...

"Where the hell does this go?? Whats that?? Im so0o lost please help"

lmao

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Just be carefull on who does the swap for you. You might get taken for a ride in the wallet.

When you do go looking for a Lude to put your H22A in, make sure it's a 90-91 model Si. That way you don't have to swap from OBD0 to OBD1. That makes it easier and cheaper. You won't have to change out the gas tank either. You could even save cost my just getting a pig tail from Rywire and that's cheaper than what I did. If you plan on keeping a/c, forget it unless you get a different traction bar. P/s is going to be fun too, I'm still working on that part. I have to relocate the reservoir because it's too dam close to the p/s pulley. I saw on here where some have done something to make it work. Give me time, I'll have it worked out soon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow im really glad you said to get a 90-91 cuz i prolly would have gotten an 89 lol. Would it be easier just to take all the a/c stuff out? cuz i know i can live witout it...bt i would also like to keep it in for the summers if i plan to take any trips to meets er whatever.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
You can hold on to it but can't use it unless you change out the traction bar. Not enough room for it with the H22A.

Check out my thread that I have going, you will see where I post a link to where I tried to make a bracket to keep the a/c. Edit: it's on page 3

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271916

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well it looks like i got some work ahead of me lol bt i think ill leave out the a/c for now....thanks alot for all your help...b4 i buy my lude is there anything else i should look for b4 i start my project? all i know is i need a 90-91 lude. and the H22 and the parts it comes with.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Here's what your JDM H22A engine should look like when it gets to your house:

Where I got my motor:
http://jdm-online.com/

Good people to deal with.

When you do order the motor, make sure to order a complete motor, with transmission.
It should have the down pipe, ECU (Electronic Control Unit) and engine wire harness. A few things to check on it before you do sign for it is: (don't worry about making the delivery guy wait, it's his job)

1) check the oil first, if it does not look like honey, then don't sign for it.
2) Rotate the crank pulley and make sure it has good compression with the plugs in, you can hear it when you rotate it. If you can't rotate it at all, don't sign for it. It might be locked up.
3) make sure nothing is broken. My TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) was broken and so was my Knock Sensor (not cheap). If something is broken, you might be able to get the place that you bought it from to give you some money back.

Axles:
I called up these people and they were able to make up my axles and have them to my door in about 1 week.

Just tell them that you are doing a H22A swap into a prelude (Year is very important because of the spline count in your wheel hubs) plus they need to know what half-shaft is on the H22A. I paid with a credit card. I think I paid around $300.00, can't remember, it's been a while.

Motor Mounts:

I got that kit from (1funryd) on here, he will take care of you on that part, pretty cool guy to talk to also....not sure what the price is anymore. Was around $500 or so.

Wiring:
http://www.rywire.com/store/index.php

Peter will take care of you. All you got to do is tell them what you are doing and what model of Prelude that you are working with.

Shifter Cables:
I was able to modifiy the bracket that came on the H22A to work with my stock cable. From what I understand, you can get the shifter cable out of an 91 Accord and make them work. Not really sure, I didn't research that part that much after I was able to make what I have work.

Important Note:
Now this is only if you are doing a 90-91 swap. If you are going from 88-89, then you have a little bit more to do on the wiring part and axles will be a little different. Edit: You will also have to change out the VSS or change out your Gauge Cluster to handle the electronic speedo.

Tools:
1) Engine Lift-- whatever you want to go with, the sky is the limit. I paid probably more than what most people did, I bought one with a pneumatic lift control...it's sweet!!! no more jacking around :)

2) A good floor jack is also a great thing to have.
3) Good jack stands 2 will work but I went for all 4.
4) A good socket set with extensions. I have about 3 complete socket sets. You are all the time needing more than 1 10mm socket or 12mm or 14mm....etc.
Make sure to always have 7mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm and 19mm sockets.
1/4" drive all the way to 1/2" drive. Also a good set of metric wrenches. I have from 6mm all the way up to 32mm. I have extensions from 1-1/2", 3", 6", 8", 10" and 12"
5) Air compressor & impact wrench (not really needed but does come in handy with those stubborn bolts and nuts)
6) Can of BP Blaster Fluid (not required but good to have just incase)
7) Propane torch (cars our age tend to have very stuck bolts)
8 ) Electrical/Volt Meter
9) A welder is nice to have but not needed.
10) the most important tool is the Manuals.

I hope this helps clear some things up for you, if not, just ask and I'll do my best to help you out or if someone else chimes in, they might be able to answer what I can't.

Stephen

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
lol your engine is Clean... mine was dirty as shit when i got it...

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
lol your engine is Clean... mine was dirty as shit when i got it...
Thank you :emthup: I would recommend the place that I got mine from, they will send you a pictureof what you are getting in your e-mail so that way what you see is what you get. :happy:

MORE JDM H22A STUFF:

I forgot to tell you some other things that you will need to modify.

1) The top coolant hose will need to be modified from the B20A5 one. I had to line up the hose so that you have enough straight pipe going to each connection. (I'll take a picture the next time I'm back at my shop, It will even have the part number on it. :-D) The bottom coolant hose, I was able to use the stock hose from the B20A5 without modding it.

2) You will need to buy some 5/8" heater hose to be able to hookup your heater lines. (If you plan on still keeping your heat :mrgreen:) It will take some effort to get the lines on, but just keep pushing and twisting.

If I can remember more crap, I'll post it here, if that's ok? ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts