Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i just sit there the sirius sounds clear and clean...
when i drive its like the louder my exhaust is the worse it has static...
i ran it..
the antenna is going from the top of the trunk through the left side of the car
the other antenna is on the inside of the back window..
and its ran down with the other one...
whats going on with the reception..
is it just the vibrations or what?:dozingoff:

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it came with two...
said to hook up the original one...
see what it sounded like...
and then go ahead and hook the second one up if needed..
it was...

·
Registered
670 Posts
is it xm?

its prob gonna be your ground wire going to your sat.radio..

is it one of the ones you stick to you wind shield?
if so how are you connecting it to your radio? rca wires?

i have sirus and only have one ant. it works most of the time some times it says searching for signal.

but it sounds to me like you have a bad ground some where..

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its the siruis starmate...
xm and siruis joined forces haha...
but i think its a ground too...
it has two antennas..
one is the regular one everyone knows about..
looks like a bmw one...
but flat and round..
and the other one is for the inside of the back windshield....
it told me to wire it up..
so i did.
it was perfect since i put it in..
which was the day after christmas....

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
SH, That second antenna is for the FM Modulator... that's if you wanna pick up the sat. radio signal thru your regular FM radio.

If you hook your starmate up to your CD player directly, there's no need for that antenna inside your window.

You can go to the Sirius website to find the radio stations that allow the best reception in your town; you type in your zip code or some shit. You're probably using a radio station that isn't allowing that great reception. My Sirius unit lets you set presets for the radio so if one gets bad reception, you can switch to the next best radio frequency. Make sure your cars frequency is the same as the one your starmate is programmed to pick up obviously lol... some stations get more interference from your car for some reason. I've scanned to FM stations before and heard my car create interference, not sure what causes it though.

I hooked up noise reducers and put my Sirius radio into my Aux input in the back of my CD player... it's pretty nice not having reception issues other than the actual Sirius reception

·
iamNOTerator
5,945 Posts
if its static then theres something wrong with your radio connection, Sirius wont go into static when its out of service. So it's not that you're loosing signal from the satellite, Maybe it has something to do with you having 2 antennas. Take one out and see if that helps

or....

if you have an aftermarket cd deck with a an auxiliary input you can direct connect your Sirius player to the deck without having to use radio signals. Thats what I do and the sound quality is noticebally better than using the radio output.

·
Registered
670 Posts
its also illegal to use the fm modulator i got an email from siruis saying that you have to stop using it if you are because if is not in compliance with the FFC and it also said that they will include what you need to hook it up with aux input..for free..even if you dont have an aux input they sell something that will hook up to your factory radio

·
Registered
174 Posts
that cant possibly be true. there are so many things that fm modulate. if they were illegal then there wouldnt be 1000s to choose from. i dont work for sirius or the fcc but i do work for a custom car audio shop for quiet a few years and ive heard NOTHING about that.

as for your static issues...first off it sounds like your getting some kind of ground loop through that junk fm antenna from sirius its either bad or not exatly on right regardless... those stick on fm antennas from sirius suck unless you have it just right and even then its still just over lapping your normal fm reception... you need one of two things:

for aftermarket headunits: almost all units have an aux input, find out if yours does, if it needs an adapter and what kind of input weather it be 3.5mm jack(headphone jack) or rca input then jet the neccessary plugs

for factory units: you need an inline fm modulator...they make them specifically for xm or sirius...this will stop over lapping the fm reception and block it off while inserting the sirius signal directly into the radio(essentially anyway) you will still tune to an fm station but you wont get over lapping and static.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ground issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts