Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey family , ok so i was in search of something different and stumbled across this 91 . It is a bitter sweet kind of thing , i bought it with all the goodies already there and didn't get to do this stuff myself . I keep finding things (parts etc.) that i didn't really notice when looking at it before i bought it . The guy i bought it from didn't know anything about the car besides the motor . The guy didn't even know the car was a 4WS car , didn't know the suspension was K-Sport , or what size the wheels even were , so I'm with my brother (Preludetyper) and my dad not knowing what to expect . We pull in and see the car so we immediately get out and look under the rear end and see 4WS stamped in the casing , i look through the wheels and see black and orange suspension and the K-Sport label and i already knew it had an H22a in it with a m2b4 transmission , so i was saving that for last to look at . We cranked it and it ran like a sewing machine and i made my mind up and bought it . It has some rust spots but that can be fixed being that my dad welds and paints and can work magic with metal . The interior is clean as well , and is a solid feeling car . Im sure the person that built this car is a member on here being the parts on the car . But to the pictures .

I did clean the leaves up after i took the picture ... i guess i did that backwards

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
looks good! Looks like it might have some crap building up in the driver's side taillight. Probably need to look into making new taillight seals/gaskets out of craft foam. For the center panel the 8"1/2"x11" from Walmart worked if it is still available there. The pass and ds taillights are too big for that. I hadn't made a point to see if hobby lobby has bigger sheets of this yet. I do have a spare well used gasket I will take with me when I go looking.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought some from Hobby Lobby a while back and bought like 6 sheets , i changed the ones on my 89 but i haven't got to this one yet , and there was actually water in that tail light and i took it out and dried it up .

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Always cool when a forum car shows up again. Man that thing looks good. I dream of finding a nicely modded one with a seller who doesn't know what he's got.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Sean !!!! That is crazy !! i just wish i could see the pics in the build thread :unhappy: . I was taking the driver tail light out and i undid the panel at the tail lights and found a Guam U.S.A license plate and put 2 and 2 together and figured he was in the military or something . This answers so many questions .

·
Premium Member
16,865 Posts
Thanks Sean !!!! That is crazy !! i just wish i could see the pics in the build thread :unhappy: . I was taking the driver tail light out and i undid the panel at the tail lights and found a Guam U.S.A license plate and put 2 and 2 together and figured he was in the military or something . This answers so many questions .
Yeah I helped him out with a lot of stuff for that swap.

It was the first Guam swapped 3rd gen for sure and he did race it out there at the Guam Pacific Raceway track.
So it was unique out there as well.

Finding a car like that in an tropical environment with so little rust was amazing feat, but I believe he bought it off another military person and that was why it was on Guam and so clean.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's pretty cool to think about , it was all the way in Guam . And as far as what my plans are for it , right now I just want to get an axle , change the clutch and fix the rust . I'm new to the H thing so I guess I got some reading to do . Oh and change the wheels and probably re undercoat underneath .

·
Premium Member
16,865 Posts
That's pretty cool to think about , it was all the way in Guam . And as far as what my plans are for it , right now I just want to get an axle , change the clutch and fix the rust . I'm new to the H thing so I guess I got some reading to do . Oh and change the wheels and probably re undercoat underneath .
Have you driven it yet?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But the axle is popping when I start off sometimes and when I say sometimes it is because sometimes I can pull off smoother than other times . The clutch sometimes lets out at the bottom and then maybe the next time it will let out at the top . On rare occasions , if I take a little longer on letting out the clutch (trying to be easy with it) the clutch will start to engage at the bottom of the pedal and then it disengages about half way and then engages at the top , and this is all while just trying to pull off and letting the pedal out steadily . I don't know if that makes since or not .

·
Premium Member
16,865 Posts
But the axle is popping when I start off sometimes and when I say sometimes it is because sometimes I can pull off smoother than other times . The clutch sometimes lets out at the bottom and then maybe the next time it will let out at the top . On rare occasions , if I take a little longer on letting out the clutch (trying to be easy with it) the clutch will start to engage at the bottom of the pedal and then it disengages about half way and then engages at the top , and this is all while just trying to pull off and letting the pedal out steadily . I don't know if that makes since or not .
1. Check for leaks on the clutch system, then I would bleed the clutch system first to try to do the easy trouble shooting.
2. I would replace the clutch slave cylinder.
3. If neither of those work, look into the clutch master cylinder, change if necessary.
4. Lastly, pull tranny and check the throwout bearing, replace and since your in there, might as well change the clutch and pressure plate and start fresh.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
It makes far more sense to do the master cylinder first, then the slave (both at the same time is the preference though). As it saves time/money/mess if the mc is at all suspect.

·
Memento Mori
7,511 Posts
The clutch hard line near the shifter arm on the tranny has to be bent for clearance with an H swap. Check that it wasn't bent too much (kinked) because that could cause funny issues with the hydraulics.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah i may just see if i can get the clutch to let out as it is supposed to for right now , but at some point i need to pull the tranny any way to try and get rid of that 5th gear grind so i will go ahead and change the clutch while its out especially being that it is the same clutch Tim put in when he put this thing together , well according to the last 2 adds where it was posted for sell . Thanks for the help guys !!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts