Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year end of race season my cars oil pressure would go down when under power and when I let off the throttle it would come back up. Engine has been completely rebuilt and new to me oil pump. It took a bit to prime and get pressure. Then car was fine. We ran it 10 to 15 mins and then a few days later we ran it again. Hasn't started in 3 weeks and now no oil pressure again.... Can anyone give me a reason why? Also I used lucus break in oil. Please help ! I have open practice this weekend.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gauges are all new. We took off the oil cab and look under the valve cover and we didn't see any oil moving either when we were turning it over. The only thing I could think of is that it gravity fed back out of the oil pump but that makes absolutely no sense.
I would suspect the oil pressure sensor. Same symptoms for two different engines assuming you did bearings in your rebuild.
I would suspect the oil pressure sensor. Same symptoms for two different engines assuming you did bearings in your rebuild.

·
Registered
1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si, 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4ws, 1990 Honda Prelude Si 4ws, etc.
817 Posts
Gauges read pressure off the oil sending unit/pressure sensor. New gauges are not the same thing as having a new sensor - they're just reading the signal they're receiving from the part they're plugged into. Oil pressure sensors/senders are easy to do, and not particularly expensive. You should listen to dano and definitely replace that part, if for no better reason than to know you have something brand new and accurate to troubleshoot off of. If it does the same thing afterwards, that's when I'd start looking at the oil pump.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We started out by watching the gauge then we took the oil cap off and washed for oil coming in on top of the head. So far what we found is that they seal for the oil pump was torn we replaced that and now we don't have a problem funny though you wouldn't have thought that was the problem

·
Registered
401 Posts
We started out by watching the gauge then we took the oil cap off and washed for oil coming in on top of the head. So far what we found is that they seal for the oil pump was torn we replaced that and now we don't have a problem funny though you wouldn't have thought that was the problem
By gauge, do you mean an externally connected oil pressure gauge? And which oil pressure seal? The one to the pickup screen? The front crankshaft seal? The gasket between the pump and the engine block?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts