Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so after putting my oil feed, I go to pull the oil pan to put the return piece in, and I can't get it out. The last time I did a pan was on my civic about a 2 years ago and it wasn't nearly this difficult. I did read my chiltons, and it told me to remove the dust cover for the fly, which I do not know how in the hell I am to remove it. The only way I see to do this is by removing this cross piece (with a jack off course since it seems to hold the trans. I feel like a asshat right now, can someone with more expeirance give me some pointers?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Ok, so after putting my oil feed, I go to pull the oil pan to put the return piece in, and I can't get it out. The last time I did a pan was on my civic about a 2 years ago and it wasn't nearly this difficult. I did read my chiltons, and it told me to remove the dust cover for the fly, which I do not know how in the hell I am to remove it. The only way I see to do this is by removing this cross piece (with a jack off course since it seems to hold the trans. I feel like a asshat right now, can someone with more expeirance give me some pointers?
Remove the center support, exhaust, dust cover, and there is a breather hose that goes to the pan on the firewall side, under the intake manifold. If you don't remove the dust cover there are bolts you can't get to very well.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
So I have to remove the center support thing?
Yep you do. Otherwise there isn't really enough room to get the pan out...

·
Registered
221 Posts
ive changed my gasket 4 times and i think i fucked the pan when i was takein it out.cuz every time it liks it looks like its on fire.do u think its the pan or if the hose under the manifold had a hole would it leak?i dont know if the hose is to breath or to pass oil.help asap

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
ive changed my gasket 4 times and i think i fucked the pan when i was takein it out.cuz every time it liks it looks like its on fire.do u think its the pan or if the hose under the manifold had a hole would it leak?i dont know if the hose is to breath or to pass oil.help asap
The hose is a breather. It connects to a chamber that is behind the motor mount. The chamber has a baffel plate inside it. On the top of it there is a hose that runs between the intake runners and connects to the intake manifold.

If the hose has a leak (most likely a crack, because the rubber gets hard) it would leak on the exhaust, creating a good bit of smoke.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Pan

Good luck if it's never been off before your going to have to bash teh crap out of it to get it to come unglued from the block and the gasket. I'd buy a new one first then fit that with a new gasket, but don't forget you'll need to clean all the oil off the block, then put gasket flange sealant in all the corners around the block then put the gasket on and then some more sealant around the pan where the gasket sits then put it on before it dries out. If you don't it's going to leak like buggery!! Also don't over tighten it or you'll deform the gasket and it will leak, you have to put the bolts and nuts on in a certain order then gradually tighten them up in a sequence. Real PIA.

·
Registered
221 Posts
this will be my third time takin it off.lolits eather the hose [i hopr] or its the hole pan cuz one when i changed my rotors a while back the damm car fell off the stands.second to get the pan off the first time i really gave it hell.idk find out soo nthen let u know

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I just maned up and took a bunch of shit off and it came off easy. Got the oil return and everything hooked up. Now just moving onto the next job lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts