Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its happened a couple times, and im not sure what the cause would be, hopefully you guys can diagnose this for me.
The oil light came on flashing for the first time about 2 months ago when I was leaving my moms place. I immediatly pulled over, cuz i thought it as weird that I would be that low on oil when I had just changed the oil about 2 weeks prior. I pop my hood and check my oil, and it was right where it should be. I turned off my car, then turned it back on, and no oil light.
Then just the other day I was driving, and went over a rough patch of road that kinda raddled my car a bit, and immediatly after I got off that rough road, the oil light came back on. I did the same thing as the last time. Turned the car off, checked the oil, which was fine, turned it back on, and no light again.
What would be causing this to happen?
Could it be a bad sensor, or a bad oil pump, or what?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Im thinking faulty oil pressure sending unit.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try that as soon as i wake up a bit more, and let you guys know.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
It does sound like a faulty switch or dodgy wiring

BUT checking the oil level only tells you there is enough in it.
The oil light is telling you that the oil pressure is low not that the level is low. (obviously low level can/will cause low pressure but isn't the purpose of the light).

·
I Miss My BB2 :'(
3,589 Posts
Im thinking faulty oil pressure sending unit.
thats exactly what it is because i havnt hooked mine up yet (because it doesnt reach for some reason) and my oil light is flashing.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where exactly is the sending unit?

·
Registered
133 Posts
same thing with my lude now.. i checked the manual and it says not to drive anywhere to pull over immediately or serious engine damage can occur. Could be the sending unit, or oil pump. hopefully you aren't losing compression. my engine has a slight clicking sound. could be a rod knock. I havent driven my lude more than a mile since the problem happened about 2 weeks ago. I have had a lil bucking around 2-2.5k rpm range for awhile before this happened. I think this is my time for the H22 swap

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
spun bearings. The broken bits of bearing material clog up the oil pick up and not enough oil gets to the oil pump so there's not enough pressure @ the sending unit. Usually only at idle. The bearings are gone if there is the slightest knocking nose accompanied by the oil light.
Trust me, I know. Spun bearings 3 times in 9 months. I'm a proffessional. Proffessional screwer-upper. lol

·
I Miss My BB2 :'(
3,589 Posts
spun bearings. The broken bits of bearing material clog up the oil pick up and not enough oil gets to the oil pump so there's not enough pressure @ the sending unit. Usually only at idle. The bearings are gone if there is the slightest knocking nose accompanied by the oil light.
Trust me, I know. Spun bearings 3 times in 9 months. I'm a proffessional. Proffessional screwer-upper. lol
yup my 3rd gen did it. the oil light blinked on and off at random times for about 2 weeks then i spun a bearing.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I honestly think its just my sending unit, cuz ive had no weird noises, or problems with my engine what so ever sence it started doing it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts