Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been a problem for a few months now, I'd crank it up in the morning and the oil light will stay on for a few seconds longer than usual, then go off. I never see the oil light while driving either. Also my vtec isn't engaging. At first I thought it had something to do with my speed sensor going out but I replaced that and still no vtec. When I hit vtec rpm the engine vibrates more than normal. I'm hoping it doesn't have anything to do with the balancer belt but I know that's a possibility, or timing off a tooth. I'm hoping the oil problem is just the pressure sensor but any extra input on both problems would be greatly appreciated. Also I have a cel for o2 sensor but I've had that for as long as I've had the car and still hit vtec.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update, even though I put in a new speed sensor I still have a cel for it. Which explains the vtec problem. It doesn't however explain the oil problem so I bought a oil pressure sensor and will install it tomorrow while checking the vss. If that doesn't work, thicker oil, then possibly oil pump replacement.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so, I've fixed my vss, put a new o2 sensor and now I don't have a check engine light for the first time ever lol. But still no vtec and the oil light still stays on a little while eggnog I cold start it. I have a new oil pressure switch coming in Friday so I'll have that on as soon as I get it. I've checked the plugs on my vtec thingy and took it apart to clean the screen but it was clean. I have recently changed the oil like a week ago and my oil is still good so its not the oil level. So if it's not the pressure switch then my guess would be oil pump or a possible leak that I'm seeing. Any other opinions would be appreciated tho

·
I lub Denny one tiem
2,459 Posts
Stupid question.. Do you have enough oil? Vtec wont engage if youre low on oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you know the oil pressure actual numbers? It does seem similar to what happened when the oil cooler went in my lude and it went low pressure. Was the oil changed recently? Some cheap oil filters mess with oil flow enough to mess with vtec a whiIe ago had some issues with some cheapies ([email protected] ) on an h22.
Definitely see about getting an eye on the balance shaft belt, maybe the auto tensioner for the timing belt is failing and that's why you have the vibrations at higher rpms around vtec engagement from the belt flapping. I strongly recommend going to the manual tensioner set up on the h23

1 - 7 of 7 Posts