Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys, so like 15'000 km ago i attempted to rebuild my B21a1 in highschool, didnt do any re-sleeving or anything just new gaskets and piston rings etc. dont think it did anything. waist of money but good experience.

anyway, my lude yet again is causing me trouble....i've had bad alternators, burning rich, (still does a bit) and now im leaking oil. so.

i've been have this recurring thing where my oil filter loosens. then it starts leaking. that itself is a huge anoyance, but i dont want to lock tight it or anything, because in 4k i'll have to take it off again xD so i thought that was my problem. then it leaked on my gf's dads driveway....awesome... so went back home to check the filter, which was on tight. crap. i have no idea where its coming from. i took off the valve cover to find that my timing belt has a nice film of oil....f***, and looking down the timing belt cover, all the gears and pullies are glistening with oil. awesome.

kept driving. today, i went to turn on the lude to hear sputtering and spitting sounds. rip open the hood, dont see anything, look underneath, i see oil pouring onto the gravel. (not GUSHING but fast enough to be alarmed!!)

so. back to the garage for the lude. its up right now, VC off, looked underneath, filter was loose again, awesome...tightened it, but oil still is coming from somewhere.

i'll post pics asap and during the next couple days, hopefully i can find the leak.

·
Registered
779 Posts
When u do the oil changes do you just tighten he filter to the point that its snug tight or where you know its tight that it might take a little bit more muscle to get it off but not to the point where your fighting the filter?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
usually i do snug, however i brought it to a shop for my last one, and it was pretty damn tight. :/ but i know its not just the filter. pictures coming in a sec here.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Shops will do that to your filter to make sure it doesn't come off but it stays on. It looks like the oil that's leaking is coming from either the top or middle of the backside from the engine. Have you taken off the bottom of the timing cover to see if you have oil accumulated there? I haven't seen oil leaks like this on anything that had gaskets replaced

·
Registered
779 Posts
Has your oil level gone down? I'm not sure if it would be a possibility but the powersteering hose might have sprung a leak but I wouldn't know if the oil would get inside the tbelt cover

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
If you have oil on the timing belt then your front main seal is probably blown, or the valve cover is leaking ALOT

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
For oil on the timing belt, it can be cam seals, front main seal, or valve cover gasket. My money is on the cam seals.

Rule of thumb when putting the oil filter on, always turn it 3/4 of a turn to 1 full turn after the gasket contacts the block (or oil cooler in our case). It won't come loose if you do that.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
For oil on the timing belt, it can be cam seals, front main seal, or valve cover gasket. My money is on the cam seals.

Rule of thumb when putting the oil filter on, always turn it 3/4 of a turn to 1 full turn after the gasket contacts the block (or oil cooler in our case). It won't come loose if you do that.
Good call, I forgot about the cam seals

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
hey guys! thanks for the responses. its NOT the cam seals, they're still fresh, and im pretty positive its not the VC either. the best place to describe where its leaking is in this picture.

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii558/cage101/IMG_2860.jpg

you can see the drip forming. dust cover is off, i'll chuck some new photos on soon
I would say to replace the O-ring behind the oil cooler that holds the oil filter.

That is a common Honda leak.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would say to replace the O-ring behind the oil cooler that holds the oil filter.

That is a common Honda leak.
really?? didnt even know there WAS a o-ring there! man thanks alot, definitely will :) even if its NOT, shouldnt be to expensive and then i can check that off my list of things replaced. (335k on my lude ;) )

·
Registered
1,752 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
cam seals most likely are leaking, the rest should be coming from the o ring on the oil cooler which is in front of the oil filter. learn to change your own oil and avoid alot of problems. oil filter should be hand tight + 1/4 turn with any filter tightening tool.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hey guys, so i checked the oil cooler, 100% not where its leaking, completely dry so i didnt even get into it.

i changed the crank seal, got a different oil filter ( worked better the one time i used it, dont remember it loosening ) and changed the valve cover gasket/seals. also did timing belt cus i wasnt willing to risk it snapping. anyway, post some pics in case anyones bored xD

cleaned up the timing belt area :)

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii558/cage101/IMG_2870.jpg

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii558/cage101/IMG_2871.jpg

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii558/cage101/IMG_2872.jpg

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii558/cage101/IMG_2873.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts