Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok how do you put a picture in so i can show you guys what i need help with. i know its gonna be easy but cant figure it out. :newbie: i have a hose that leaks oil after being drivin. its the only leake the whole car has. it runs right above where the header heat shield is. i just wanna know if it is really important or just a hose break or what.

·
Registered
449 Posts
That would be the power steering line. Quite common to leak. But very hard to change as the hose runs across the headers, around the head, underneath the intake manifold and down to the rack.

People often replace it with a shorter custom hose that just runs straight up beside the timing belt cover. Have a look for 1funryd's thread, he sells those custom hoses I believe.

edit: Is it just seeping, or actually full on leaking. If it's the latter it can pose a fire risk due to it being just above the extremely hot header pipe.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
really doesnt seem like it runs that far. well my power steering doesnt work at all. it leaks right on the engine code. you can twist the hose cover and can feel that the whole thing is full of oil. it drips slowly out the left side on the engine code.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Follow the line, I guarantee you there's a few feet worth of useless hose there. It goes onto a hard line (solid metal) and then back to rubber, but it's all one peice with no joins/breaks. The peice that's leaking is just one of the flexi pipes.

At least it's leaking from the other side of the flexi pipe. Mine used to leak on the other side and occasionally drip onto the heat shield.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea it is just from that rubber piece atop. crap i would go out and look but its dark. yea probably not a good thing if it was on the shield. this and the idle problem are the only thing thats wrong with lude ecept minor things like the power steering and the gas gauge is way off. only has 150,000 miles on it but it sat forever and was abandoned by its previous owner and picked it up for 400 with title.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
thats a pretty nice score. just don't lose your cool with it. yours is the carbed lude right. there are a few very knowledgeable people on here that can help you with them. just be very descriptive when trying to explain a carb prob. i bailed on them. in the process of the si swap.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no its fuel injected. its an 89 si. but this one is still giving me crap. haha i took it out for a spin after i fixed the dieing problem but now its too excited and when in nuetral at a light or a stop sign it stays at 2500 rpm. it is pissing me off.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i would like to keep getting info tonight from you guys so if anyone still wants to talk text me at 720 371 7337 later the screen is killing my eyes

·
Registered
697 Posts
Yep this hose has leaked on just about every prelude in existence. Dont bother buying a replacement stock one, just go have a custom one fabbed up. you will save dollars in labour and if u have any mates who are less of a n00B than u are (no offence at all) they might even be able to fit it for you much cheaper.

If you take the car to a hose manafacturer (i dunno what they have in the states but we have ENZED here in Aus) they should be able to make u something no fuss. I made my own using a welder and the second section of the original hose... not too hard at all.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yep this hose has leaked on just about every prelude in existence. Dont bother buying a replacement stock one, just go have a custom one fabbed up. you will save dollars in labour and if u have any mates who are less of a n00B than u are (no offence at all) they might even be able to fit it for you much cheaper.

If you take the car to a hose manafacturer (i dunno what they have in the states but we have ENZED here in Aus) they should be able to make u something no fuss. I made my own using a welder and the second section of the original hose... not too hard at all.
What kind of welder did you use? I've only got an old ARC and I think it's probably to big for this kind of work.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok either i cant search very well cuz im new or something cuz im not finding these custom hoses you talk about. any ideas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts