Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just wanted to say I did a search already on oil leaks. For the most part I saw people either with bleeding cars, or drips.

I've got a '99 Type-Sh.

Reason I'm posting this thread is to find out why mine is intermittent.

Some days I'll go outside and there will be a puddle a foot in diameter, and other days, there will be nothing there whatsoever.

Problem is, I have no idea where it's leaking. My last oil change I put on a new oil filter, and 5 quarts of synthetic.

My dad said it could just be the weather and the contracting and expanding metals overnight in the cold, but I don't know how much truth there is to that.

However this is Florida, so the weather is back and forth.

Lastly, when I did the last oil change, there was a little drip forming on the SH box underneath, but I couldn't tell where it was coming from...

Any ideas??? :frown:

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
Could be a lot of places. Most likely it's the oil cooler which is the part that the oil filter screws into. Also you would want to check your cam end seal (near distributor) and valve cover gasket on the backside. If it's the valve cover or the cam end seal it should be obvious from above the engine. If it's the oil cooler O-ring you'd have to be under the car to tell.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
the rear main seal likes to take a shit on preludes but if its coming from around the atts box its most likely the oil cooler seal.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
all of these things do come into play...
check.. :
oil cooler seal
valve cover gasket
vtec solenoid gasket
rear main seal

and as for it burning because of the use of vtec...
that will not leave a puddle..

why dont you go out there with a rag and clean everything under the engine bay and see where oil is coming from...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'm like 99% sure it's the oil cooler seal now cause I went out there and started it and went under the hood right after I posted that. I went by the dealership and picked up the seal it was like 4 bucks haha.

I threw in another quart temporarily until I get another filter and more oil so I can change the oil and the seal all at once.

Could be a lot of places. Most likely it's the oil cooler which is the part that the oil filter screws into. Also you would want to check your cam end seal (near distributor) and valve cover gasket on the backside. If it's the valve cover or the cam end seal it should be obvious from above the engine. If it's the oil cooler O-ring you'd have to be under the car to tell.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah unfortunately I've had the problem since I got the car and didn't realize what it was, so I guess over 5 months it just got worse, but I'm like 99% sure it's the oil cooler seal now. Thanks for the input btw

the rear main seal likes to take a shit on preludes but if its coming from around the atts box its most likely the oil cooler seal.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah like I told the other guys I'm pretty positive it's the cooler seal but yeah the vtec burning oil definitely isn't going to leave a puddle I guess, unless the solenoid seal is bad. Thanks for replying

all of these things do come into play...
check.. :
oil cooler seal
valve cover gasket
vtec solenoid gasket
rear main seal

and as for it burning because of the use of vtec...
that will not leave a puddle..

why dont you go out there with a rag and clean everything under the engine bay and see where oil is coming from...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts