Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been having starting my 98 prelude. It takes a couple tries to get it to actually start, I decided to check the spark plugs and change them, while removing them I noticed oil on the end of the spark plug wires where they touch the plug and some on top of the plug. It isn't much but enough to have me worried. My question is how can I tell if it's from the spark plug well seal or from something worse? Can the oil on my spark plug cause my car not to start up as easily? I also want to note that my car runs perfectly fine once it is running, I have not noticed any white or black smoke coming out of the exhaust. No problems with idle either

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,274 Posts
Replace your valve cover gasket and the donut seals that go around the spark plug wells. Pretty common issue.

Your car is probably due for a full-blown tune-up. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im planning doing the full tune up while fixing this issue. So the oil in the spark plugs well could be causing my start up issues? I've already had my starter alternator and battery checked

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,274 Posts
Get all the oil out of the plug wells, and just be mindful. You should be able to get most of it out by dipping paper towels in and dragging it out, and then removing the plugs to let the excess oil fall into the cylinder. It'll burn off.

Just keep in mind, the longer you drive it, the better your odds are of filling the plug wells again and shorting the ignition system.

I wouldn't drive it for very long without addressing the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Recently, I changed the valve gasket cover, spark plugs, plug wires, battery, spark plug tube seals, but still had an issue with misfiring or even starting. At times the car would start, i'd let it idle for 15 minutes before misfiring occurred. When misfiring occurred, I had trouble starting the car, and sometime oil seemed to foul the plugs.

Yesterday, I decided to change out the external ignition coil because a lot of the symptoms I had, related to a bad ignition coil. So far so good, no misfiring, starts easier, and seems to resolve the issue. Its easy to change and can be found for $60 or less locally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts