Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, recently in the last two weeks my car has been losing about two quarts of oil a week. The underside by the transmission is pretty well coated with oil but you can't see anything visibly through the engine bay. Did a compression test today and the results were:
Cylinder 1 - 180
Cylinder 2 - 185
Cylinder 3 - 190
Cylinder 4 - Ranged between 90-115 over a few tries.
Car is a fifth gen 98, not sure if their motors are notorious for anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guys, recently in the last two weeks my car has been losing about two quarts of oil a week. The underside by the transmission is pretty well coated with oil but you can't see anything visibly through the engine bay. Did a compression test today and the results were:
Cylinder 1 - 180
Cylinder 2 - 185
Cylinder 3 - 190
Cylinder 4 - Ranged between 90-115 over a few tries.
Car is a fifth gen 98, not sure if their motors are notorious for anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Add a little oil to cylinder #4 with the low compression and retest the compression. If your compression comes up in that cylinder you have some bad rings.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Yup just a spoonful/ounce. You should use new motor oil for this.

Im just wondering, did you do the test while the engine was warm? It wont fix your issue ofcourse but like I said just wondering. I like to loosen the plugs when the engine is cold and retighten them. Warm the engine and then remove plugs. Know that this actually contradicts normal procedure for removing spark plugs do the risk of ripping the threads from the head.

Ive noted 10-15 psi increase on all 4 cylinders cold vs. Warm. Just saying though. Either way cyl 1 2 and 3 are great numbers. Hopefully you got lucky and its just a headgasket issue. Its likely the oil on the bottom of the engine isnt related but who knows yet. Its more likely that its the rear main seal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts