Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know about you guys but I'm sick of people making new threads every day asking what (wheels, paint, etc) would look the best. So if anyone else feels the same way this thread is for those questions.

Mods feel free to do as you want with this.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
:twisted:eek:hhh ohhh somebody getting cranky

·
Registered
759 Posts
good idea with the thread. sick of those questions too!

but where did everyone's own sense of taste go? how do you not know what you like and why would you listen to someone else tell you what to do with your car?

·
Registered
121 Posts
LoL..I have no clue what i wanna do with my money and my own car.. how about i supply the time and money and you guys just piece the car together for me.. Its sad that thats seriously what it has come to..This site is for knowlege not orders on how to personalize your car..THAT PARTS UP TO YOU PEOPLE...

·
Registered
67 Posts
OEM lip kit, Non Cannon exhaqust. ie RSR, Apexi worls sport. If you have projectors....Usdm fogs....Because round to match.....If OEM head light, JDM fogs....Because the match.

Some sort of flush lip spoiler.

And 17's because u don't loose ride quality and keep a decent tire size.

Lowering is up to you. Dropped or mild. I only runn full threaded coilovers myself.

PS: Mustang racing stripes....JK

·
Registered
759 Posts
ok i'll bite then. i base all my speculation and suggestions on trends, demand, and photo sections from different prelude forums.

Lip / Kit
the way i see it, there are really only 4.5 body "kit" options: no particular order

OEM
Mugen
Wings West RS
some mix of the above with a GReddy lip
and for the half: relatively stock with a P1 (ebay super mini greddy) lip

any mix or combo of the aboved, will generally be accepted and liked.

Spoiler
now a lot of people like to go wingless, depends on you. not like fwd cars really ever need down force in the rear (let's not discuss this plz).

but for those looking for a wing, the following are the current tasteful options

OEM
Mugen (replica usually)
JDM ones, type S flush or mid wing
type R or whatever that's called, some people like these- who are we to judge
ebay "m3" flat flush style stick on lip spoiler

aluminum wings are shunned these past few years, things might change but as of now- no way

Exhaust
If you want quiet ones, look for chambered
RS*R, Worldsport2, Mugen twinloop, OBX twinloop replica, thermal, etc

If you want louder and aggressive
Larger mufflers like the tanabe exhausts, or general N1 style ones- the "can" looking exhausts that some come with angled and titanium burnt tips, greddy, those propane looking mufflers like the hks uses

up to you, they each serve a purpose; be it looks, sound, or performance gain or a bit of everything. must remember that exhaust without the other parts like intake and header, is just changing your exhaust sound and how it looks.

Drop
Depending on wheel size, but in general, a zero finger gap is well liked. slight tuck is highly praised but comes with problems unless you roll fenders or get the "perfect" rim and offset matched to the right size tire

anything more than 2 finger gap could be construed as trucking it, or 4x4.

all springs out there tend to be good, just different stiffnesses and how long they last before sag.

in general, the springs most liked in no order are ones from neuspeed, tein, H&R, eibach, and maybe something like skunk2 or tanabe

coilovers most liked are from tein. tein HA are the best as far as the prelude applications go but very stiff, very. if not find some SS or FLEX. basics are...basic

koni and ground control coilover system is undisputed "best combination" as koni is "limitless" adjustability and can be matched to ground control spring rates which can be customized.

Rims
17" for looks and performance. 18" for more looks, especially with a deep reflective dish lip. 15/16" for track and performance. Style is up to you, most styles liked are the 5 spoke (split like Work emotions cr-kai or solid like Mugen MZ3X or 5zigen FN01RC) or the 6+ spoke ones like Wedsports sa90 or Volk te37. Mesh like ones like Racing Hart C2 or C4. OEM wheels from other hondas and acuras are liked too, like AP1, RSX-S, other HFP wheels.

Tint
everyone likes the black, limo look. the chrome mirror tint has gone out of fashion. depends on what you can get away with in your area and state. tint tickets are a bish and can lead to other trouble.

Hood
OEM or CF OEM version. the cf hoods with vents can be nice, just depends onwhat kit and what look you have and want.

and with regards to CF OEM hoods, the current flavor is to have the sides painted to match the car color, and just leave the center carbon fiber.

Headlights
OEM style or retrofitted OEM. those ebay fake projectors look good to some, but aweful to most. retros look nice but are pricey. keep a yellowish to light blue color for any bulb you choose. blue and purple is rice, yellow is funny.

Foglights
JDM OR USDM. depends what you want and can find or afford. there is no right or wrong, they both look good. Both can come with a yellow look, via lense or yellow capsul mod respectively.

Putting HIDs in fogs is wierd to me, but it's being done a lot. I guess there's massive fog developing everywhere.

Turn Signals or Side Markers
Cleared out front turn signals is in. the side is up for toss, either clear or amber works. some like putting the red side markers from accords. LED modding both is going to become extremely popular soon.

Tail lights
OEM, either cleared or amber. clear is preferred by most.

LED tail lights are extremely desired.

INTERIOR
Seats: Leather, AP1 seats, RSX seats, JDM seats in leather and suede with red stitching, bucket seats from recaro, spoon, bride, sparco, etc etc. black or red are usually the best colors, if not blue. don't usually see any other color in a lude.

up to you in the end, they all look good, even stock

Bezel: JDM CF bezel with whatever color ring, or keep stock and paint the rings silver or glossy black.

JDM Clusters aren't so in anymore. too comon? too expensive? i dunno, they are nice with the yellow needle though.

What's in with clusters and looks great, is the LED strip mod to make the light output brighter, and a different color; usually white.

CF Trim, most people like it. JDM cup holder and ash tray too.

Please, no diamond plate floor mats, they went out of style

Mugen pedal covers, but anything works as long as they function and don't light up themselves.

LED asseccessory lights are coming in style too.

Steering wheel is all you. What you like and what you can get.

Gauge pods mounted on the center AC/clock vent looks good. if not, the traditional A pillar pods still look good. a real stealthy and nice look is to mount pods under or above your stereo unit, the 1 din slot.

Those giant tachometer's from autometer and the likes aren't in anymore. well not for the prelude. a single shift light behind an ac vent or subtly placed somewhere looks good.

Broadway mirrors are helpful and often used. Looks fine. Bigger the more better they work surprisingly. I thought they were all show, but no they function.

Misc Exterior
Benen tow hooks are fashionable. Rear JDM/EDM fog light too. bling bling

Rear lower tie bar look like good rear end bling. DC is hard to find, people can't figure out how to work the Megan correctly because there's no instructions or something, but it looks good. Nice and shiny and peeps out at you on the road.

JDM Bumper pole looks nice to most

Window visors, JDM or Weathertech both are nice. one nicer than the other.

Front grille is dependant on you, most like the 99-01 honeycomb, but the 97-98 is nice and simple.

Debadge or not, no one cares so much anymore. Red backed H emblems are fine too now a days.

A sticker to show your support for your favorite prelude forum stuck to your rear quarter panel window on the bottom edge on both sides looks good.

Otherwise, unless it's a show car, brand stickers and what not should be avoided for various reasons.

Painting your brake calipers red, blue, black, chrome, silver, or polished color with caliper paint looks good too.

Ray's lug nuts or other colored tuner lug nuts go great with expensive looking rims.

No tire valve stem lights or window sprayer nozzle lights please.

Those giant tuner windshield wipers aren't really cool either. just depends if they look outrageous or not.

Colored lamin-x for your headlights and blinkers, are met with different emotions. some look good some don't.

Tinting or smoking your tail lights, whether all, or just the bottom half or top half, generally looks good.

Hanging some kind of plushy doll from the rear of your car on the toe hook or somewhere else around there has been fashionable for a few years now. Dunno the purpose.

those JDM beginner driver window badges are popular to most. There's some guy making custom ones with your choice of country flag. Seems like a nice idea unless you think your car will be racially hated on as that's how life is.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I forgot to mention a CTR shift boot. Or any nice leather looking boot with red stitching, type r boots, is popular.

And shift knobs like skunk2, the billet knob kind of look, oblong or ball, looks good. if not an oem red stitched rounded knob looks great.

·
Registered
759 Posts
no kudos unless you agree ;)

i was hesitant at first but then i realized redjdmlude was onto a great idea and this should help cut down repeat questions on aesthetics that i specialize in lol. i know squat about building engines. and it doesn't hurt i type like 100 wpm anyways.

any disagreements or additions highly welcomed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
+100000

I vote to make RedJDMlude an honorary moderator for this board. It seems today that nobody can make a decision for themselves, especially when it's something as subjective as "what wheelz would look mos dope on my car". I'd also like to see these boards restrict the ability to create polling threads.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
no kudos unless you agree ;)

i was hesitant at first but then i realized redjdmlude was onto a great idea and this should help cut down repeat questions on aesthetics that i specialize in lol. i know squat about building engines. and it doesn't hurt i type like 100 wpm anyways.

any disagreements or additions highly welcomed.
my fingers cant comprehend that lol - i..dont... think - but here's something to tell ppl lol:
CHROME IS OUT!!!
RACE CAR STRIPES VYNLS ARE GAY!!!
- only exception to this is the enormous fig newton windsheld sticker, it is highly dagerous and inconveinent but boy i sure do love fig newtons

·
Registered
759 Posts
yeah chrome wheels are a bit of a step in the wrong direction for me, but i guess if you have stock blades, it's something to do. i like em better polished though.

thanks to a thread recently made, i just remembered hood dampers.

Front hood dampers, the ones from ebay or nrg, look good and function as they should. installing may be a bit difficult and requires another person's help.

Trunk dampers don't really stand out visually, but they are a nice touch if you have a trunk popper. and it eliminates the torsion bars so you can put bigger speakers in the rear deck.

Door bumper guards and fender bumper guard things make your car look sissy like. avoid the door ones, the fender ones blend in depending on how you did it and what color your car is.

·
Vrooom PSHHHH
6,486 Posts
my fingers cant comprehend that lol - i..dont... think - but here's something to tell ppl lol:
CHROME IS OUT!!!
RACE CAR STRIPES VYNLS ARE GAY!!!
- only exception to this is the enormous fig newton windsheld sticker, it is highly dagerous and inconveinent but boy i sure do love fig newtons
Talladega Nights FTW! haha

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
this is a good idea. i'm getting tired of seeing nothing but "help me choose rims threads!" these days. this will help keep suggestions organized and in one simple place to look. not only can you ask questions about the rims you're looking for, but also see what other people suggest or already have suggested in the past.

rep for you my friend.

edit: i better not see another choose my rims thread tmro..

1 - 20 of 38 Posts