Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 490 Posts

·
Ludimus Catacus
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think we can all agree we need this. The Retrofit Picture thread has become extremely cluttered with people asking questions and just chit chatting (I'm not blaming anyone in particular, lots of people contributed, myself included.) So I think we should leave that thread for pictures only, just like the 5th Gen Picture thread, and use this thread for getting help with and discussing retrofits.

So feel free to use this thread to ask any questions about how to wire up ballasts, Bi-Xenons, what shrouds to use, how to cut certain shrouds, etc. Hopefully this will clean things up a bit.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
Yes, we definitely need this. Its long over due. Good thinking catacon.

I also have to say that the retrofit source is one of the best companies I've even dealt with, very professional. Brian (prelude1897) would say the same.

·
Ludimus Catacus
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I hope it will help people out.

So first question: Should the cutoffs from each projector line up so that there is only one "step" going from left to right? And if so, is this adjustment made using the stock adjusting knobs on the headlight housings?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I have 2 questions guys, I have a tsx setup in new depos with 6k HIDs and e46 shrouds
1) should my left and right cutoffs be absolutely flat or is it possible that one isnt perfectly flat across (my passenger side), it seems to be a little blurry, the left is perfect, but the right isnt as great.
2) should I adjust the height of the cutoff so that the level inside the depos is at 0 or just adjust it to the height I think it should be? I ask because it seems if i do raise them to where the bubble is at zero they will be pretty high up and ill get flashed by drivers allllll the time lol
Thanks in advance you guys :D

·
Abscissa & Ordinate
5,098 Posts
So first question: Should the cutoffs from each projector line up so that there is only one "step" going from left to right? And if so, is this adjustment made using the stock adjusting knobs on the headlight housings?
The cutoffs should be at one step when you're about 30ish feet from a wall and are sitting on level ground.

Ideally the cutoff should be at about the same place where the stock cutoff is from the reflector bowl. If you're not using Morimoto mini's then you also want to set the center of the beam (where the step is) where the center of the reflector bowl beam is.

I have 2 questions guys, I have a tsx setup in new depos with 6k HIDs and e46 shrouds
1) should my left and right cutoffs be absolutely flat or is it possible that one isnt perfectly flat across (my passenger side), it seems to be a little blurry, the left is perfect, but the right isnt as great.
2) should I adjust the height of the cutoff so that the level inside the depos is at 0 or just adjust it to the height I think it should be? I ask because it seems if i do raise them to where the bubble is at zero they will be pretty high up and ill get flashed by drivers allllll the time lol
Thanks in advance you guys :D
1) Well all projector cutoffs are not perfectly flat, they have a little step. If you mean that the general shape of the cutoff isnt perfectly flat then that is also understandable. Most projectors have the beam curve up slightly towards the edges to light up the sides of the road.

2) I adjust my lights so that when I'm four car-lengths away the cutoff is at the base of the window of the car in front of me.

·
Ludimus Catacus
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was hoping to confirm some info about hooking up Bi-Xenons with a relay harness.

1) The harness has a big black and big red wire with round connectors on them. These go to constant 12V, correct?
2) There is a small black and small red wire. These are for the relay which connect to the stock headlight connector, correct?
3) It is often recommended that spade connectors are attached and then plugged into the stock low beam connector. Where is a good spot to mount this connection? It's sketchy to let it just dangle.
4) To hook up the Bi-Xenon solenoid, are spade connectors attached and then plugged into the stock high-beam connector?

Thanks!

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
See my comments in RED

1) should my left and right cutoffs be absolutely flat or is it possible that one isnt perfectly flat across (my passenger side), it seems to be a little blurry, the left is perfect, but the right isnt as great. TSX projectors do not have perfectly flat cutoffs, every one I've seen has a nice flat cutoff on the left side but a blurry or wavy cutoff on the right side, this has been called the "TSX Mushroom"
The little levelers are absolutely worthless once you retrofit a projector inside them because your projector is not going to sit level with the leveler anyway, depends on how you mount it in there and level it up. Aim them so the beam falls 1-2 inches per 30 feet and doesn't shine higher than oncoming cars bumpers and you'll be fine.

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
See my responses in RED

I was hoping to confirm some info about hooking up Bi-Xenons with a relay harness.

1) The harness has a big black and big red wire with round connectors on them. These go to constant 12V, correct? RED goes to the battery or starter 12V constant power supply terminal, BLACK goes to battery ground!

2) There is a small black and small red wire. These are for the relay which connect to the stock headlight connector, correct? Correct. If you look at the H1 low beam headlight connectors there are 2 wires going into them, black and black with red stripe. the black with red stripe side of the connector is where the harness red wire goes and black to black side.

3) It is often recommended that spade connectors are attached and then plugged into the stock low beam connector. Where is a good spot to mount this connection? It's sketchy to let it just dangle. After you plug the spades in wrap the entire connector and wires with electrical tape so it's moisture proof and so the wires don't pull out. Just zip tie it anywhere so it's secure.

4) To hook up the Bi-Xenon solenoid, are spade connectors attached and then plugged into the stock high-beam connector? You got it! Same way you do the low beam connection to the low beam connector.

Thanks!

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
Ohh I see. So I only have to connect to one of the headlights?
yes, with a PnP harness, you just connect into 1 stock headlight harness and it'll power up both ballast

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
Haha win! Thanks, Darren!
lol, no problem. Its really a no brainer that this topic/thread should be stickied. Hopefully people will see this thread and post in it instead of the retro pic thread.

·
Ludimus Catacus
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's what I was hoping would happen. Though there might be a lot of good info in that thread, it might be good to clean out some of the questions/chit chat, so that thread isn't as cluttered.

1 - 20 of 490 Posts