Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 494 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time a J series swap is brought up as a potential motor swap for our preludes everyone laughs and says the H22 is fine enough or don't bother or its to expensive etc.

So Im making this thread for those of us who are serious about actually attempting a J series swap or are interested (j32/j35.....j37lol whatever it may be)

There is a forum J32a.com but on that website almost everything is about civic /integra and frankly Im sick of civics and integras getting all the lime light.

Its about time someone really said screw it and just put a sick V6 prelude together because we all know we would have loved to see Honda make preludes V6 from the factory, and we all know we would love to see a V6 prelude just because it "sounds right".

So guys dont just post bullshit responses like "the H22 is better" "its too much money" "to much fabrication" to much blah blah blah"

Lets really try to get the ball rolling on a solid information thread about J swaps into our cars...
Here are the basic J series information threads from J32a.com

http://www.j32a.com/showthread.php?t=422

http://www.j32a.com/showthread.php?t=423

These basically show you which J swaps you would want to pick and which tranny you would want to mate it too (6 speed prelude sounds nice and you all know it)

So this is what I have been able to dig up so far.. (feel free to correct me if im wrong) 98 to 02 Honda Accords are similar to the 5th gen prelude, they come with F series motors that have very similar motor mounts. So if we can put a V6 in those accords it shouldnt be that much different than fitting one into our cars. I did read that these are the mounts to use if we are going to do it and the 03 CL type S tranny mount..

Im going to keep searching and try to add whatever I find out and hopefully I can try it out on my car.. If anyone else has information to add please do, but dont turn this thread into a joke. I know there has to be a lot of people out there interested in this swap and the best part is the J series swaps are getting cheaper.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean the weight is significantly larger than the H22 obviously its a 6 cylinder engine vs a 4 cylinder but thats just another factor that will have to be taken into account if your looking to build this kind of thing... so we need a solution to that
but still that shouldn't completely throw the idea out the window

·
Bearderator
8,519 Posts
A bit stiffer springs in the front should counter the weight transfer. Any suspension guru would be able to come up with a proper setup to maintain the handling ability.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
exactly..
im more worried about wire harnesses and computers and all that mess.. need someone to chime in on that all the vendors on J32a.com dont make harnesses for the prelude..yet

·
Bearderator
8,519 Posts
exactly..
im more worried about wire harnesses and computers and all that mess.. need someone to chime in on that all the vendors on J32a.com dont make harnesses for the prelude..yet
I'm sure a harness from the donor car could be easily modified to fit in our cars. The issue being you're going to have to take EVERY single one of the required sensors to keep things simple. This way you're not splicing wires and modifying connectors for the next 12 years.

I think the biggest issue will be the dimensions of the engine itself. Apparently the J32s fit in civics, but I don't know whether or not there's firewall cutting involved and what else not. Will this be an issue with out cars? Will the engine clear the hood? Will firewall mods be necessary? How much room is left afterward for modification(turbo?!). Will custom axles be needed?

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
i was actually planning on doing a J swap after i blow my motor up from the turbo.
my friend and i already dicussed in making custom motor mounts etc etc.
i think a J swap would be pretty sweet
alll that torque!!!!! :D

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
for engine dimensions i think we have it better than the civics and integras
in a civic the motor fits pretty good it just sticks out of the hood and you almost always 9 times out of 10 would have to cut the hood to let it fit but Hasport supposedly made version two mounts that let the motor sit further down or something so you dont have to cut the hood...
however thats for civics
the V6 fits pretty snug in the accords and there's not modification needed there i believe as for turbo im not sure you might even have more space in the prelude than in the accord.. but ground clearance is definately not a problem..
and around the motor itself if the civics are fine then the prelude should be

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
http://forums.honda-tekh.com/zerothread?id=3652

This guys build thread was pretty helpful theres a lot of pictures and information
its going into a EG he had clearance mostly everywhere except the hood

personally i would not like to cut my hood up and have the motor sticking out partly because i dont want people to know i have the J series and just because it would look a lot cleaner

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
What I like out of this whole thing is the possibility for an AWD lude with the SH TL J series engine. Not trying to bring up an old subject that has been brought up over and over. I would love to put a 3.5 engine in a lude, maybe supercharge it and call it a day. Which candidate (lude) would a swap like this work better in. Cause don't the engines sit more forward in a 5th gen then say a 4th? I prolly just got flamed for even say that, but then again I don't claim to know everything.

Anyway's I would like to see someone willing to drop 3,500 dollars ( or 50,000 CDN, ha ha lame Canadian joke)

·
Bearderator
8,519 Posts
personally i would not like to cut my hood up and have the motor sticking out partly because i dont want people to know i have the J series and just because it would look a lot cleaner
What I like out of this whole thing is the possibility for an AWD lude with the SH TL J series engine. Not trying to bring up an old subject that has been brought up over and over. I would love to put a 3.5 engine in a lude, maybe supercharge it and call it a day.
Imagine running a J35 supercharged and mock up a blower intake on the hood like the old muscle cars :D

/stupid idea.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The RWD 5th gen project was completed before now
I want to see this v6 5th gen prelude project attempted and completed tastefully
with full documentation and cost of this project.

1 - 20 of 494 Posts