Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. My names Sam, I've had my 98 TypeSH for about 2 years now, and just recently I've started running into issues with my alarm system.

My car has a factory alarm, which has worked flawlessly the whole time I've owned it, but the other day as I had just gotten to work, I tried to arm my alarm and it honked three short times like it would if my door wasn't closed all the way. I checked my door, passenger door, and trunk, and everything seemed fine. Tried again and it armed. I left and not 10 feet away it started going off, so I just went back and locked it manually.

Fast forward: I get home from work, arm it, everything works fine. Okay? Leave and go to dinner, still working fine. Get home, and again, still fine. About an hour later my alarm starts going off so I go outside and turn it off, and now it's refusing to arm again. Wtf?

I can think of two possible scenarios:
-Three days ago I got a carbon fiber hood and there's a pressure sensor for the hood that isn't being actuated because the hood is too light so the alarm thinks the hood is open? I don't know if there is such a sensor though and can't see anything from a quick glance with a flashlight in the rain ?
-My alarms brain is shot and I need to buy a new one.

Anybody have any insight? I'd appreciate it. Sorry for the long read.

·
Abscissa & Ordinate
5,102 Posts
The first place I would check is the hood switch, if your alarm came equipped with one. That was an optional add-on to the factory alarm. The switch is going to be either near the hood latch or is inside the hood latch. I can't remember which one came on the Prelude.

It's a known problem with the switches that are integrated into the hood latch. Alarm systems are standard on early 2000's Acura's and they include the integrated hood switch. Over time crap builds up inside them and they don't make contact properly so any slight movement of the hood (like wind or an animal) will set it off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is very useful information. Mine is definitely gunked to all hell. When I purchased my car it had a sma crack in the radiator right behind the hood latch so it would always end up building up bs in the latch. I'll give it a good cleaning and see. I'm assuming it's an internal hood switch because I haven't seen a thing externally. Thanks for the info. I'll report back if it solves it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts