Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I've come across some very strange issue. Last night I was filling up my gas, and when I got back in the car I realized nothing on the dash was lit up except my CEL. Normally, I've had the CEL, ATTS, and ABS light on. So I was a little bit confused. I then noticed my temp gauge was cold, my gas tank was empty, and the RPMs were at 0. I turned the car off and started it again, and when I turned the key to ACC, only the CEL and battery light came on, as well as the flashing green key light.

Car started just fine, no issues. After driving I then learned that my clock doesn't work, the windows don't work, the turn signals don't work, nothing except my headlight switch and the windshield wipers work.

No sign of blown fuses, everything looks okay. What could've happened?

Also, normally the beep-beep-beep only happens when the key is in and the door is open, but it occurs even while the car is running and the door is open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSI2tjJ3v7E

Help please!

·
'01 Milano Red - BB615
982 Posts
You have a vacuum leak too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have a vacuum leak too.
It's my IACV, I changed it and that stopped happening.

Sounds like you lost ground. Let me ask you this...Does your cruise control, moonroof, and 12v socket work?
Cruise control was deleted, moonroof does not work, 12v socket does work.

Cancel my help. Karma made your car hate you. 100 on a city street with traffic is fucking dumb. Yes you pulled 4th.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lps-ioH1KXQ
That was over a year ago, September 2014.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check your ground by the hood release latch. Make sure it's tight.
You mean the one that was closer to the passenger light right? I have one ground in my engine bay and it goes from the engine directly to the shell of the car (wire tuck). I know it's supposed to have 2 but I've had the 1 for many months and the issue just now started occurring. I was told it could be corrosion on the fusebox so after removing my dashboard only to find out my fusebox is clean, the next possibility I was told was the ignition switch. So i'm gonna check every ground and then if not I'm gonna see if I can replace the ignition switch.

·
'01 Milano Red - BB615
982 Posts
You mean the one that was closer to the passenger light right? I have one ground in my engine bay and it goes from the engine directly to the shell of the car (wire tuck). I know it's supposed to have 2 but I've had the 1 for many months and the issue just now started occurring. I was told it could be corrosion on the fusebox so after removing my dashboard only to find out my fusebox is clean, the next possibility I was told was the ignition switch. So i'm gonna check every ground and then if not I'm gonna see if I can replace the ignition switch.
It's not the ignition switch, so don't waste your time or money on that. And make sure you add another ground to your engine. It's not the problem, but you should have at least the same amount as stock.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No, this is going to be a cabin electrical problem. The ground I was talking about is in the Driver's side kick panel area. It serves as the ground for a lot of stuff (cluster, clock, window switches, etc.) and it's very easy to access.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, this is going to be a cabin electrical problem. The ground I was talking about is in the Driver's side kick panel area. It serves as the ground for a lot of stuff (cluster, clock, window switches, etc.) and it's very easy to access.
Oh, I'm thinking the hood latch itself lol. Yeah, there's a screw holding down the grounds, it looks okay.

The weird thing is that the car was working fine, I got out to go fill up on gas and when I got back in the car is when everything had changed. As of last night, my dash lights no longer work while the car is RUNNING. As soon as I turn the car off, regardless of the key position, the dash lights come on (like the background lights when the headlights are on).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ok, so things that don't work so far:
Instrument panel lights
Gauges except speedo
ATTS light
ABS light
Clock
Windows
Turn signal
Multiplex unit (acting funny)

Anything else not working?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, so things that don't work so far:
Instrument panel lights
Gauges except speedo
ATTS light
ABS light
Clock
Windows
Turn signal
Multiplex unit (acting funny)

Anything else not working?
  • Instrument panel lights (cluster & climate control) do not work while the engine is running
  • NO gauges work
  • NO cluster lights EXCEPT CEL, battery light (when engine is off), and immobilizer light when I take the key out.
  • No ATTS light
  • No ABS light
  • No oil light
  • No Clock
  • No hazards
  • No Windows (including sunroof)
  • no rear defroster
  • no turn signals

Working:

• Headlight switch
  • Windshield wipers
  • Radio
  • +12V accessory port
  • Heat/AC
  • Brake Lights
  • Power mirrors

·
'01 Milano Red - BB615
982 Posts
It has to be a ground (G401 in photo below) or a fuse. I know you said you checked them, but there's no other reason for all these things to not be working at once.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It has to be a ground (G401 in photo below) or a fuse. I know you said you checked them, but there's no other reason for all these things to not be working at once.

I'll double check that ground, I'll also check my engine bay ground because that one has known to prevent the car from starting (no fuel pump, no dash lights at all) if that one has been loose.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Just checked the G401, unable to locate it lol. I can't tell is it behind the fuse box? Because I see a bunch of ground wires grouped together but I don't see exactly where it grounds to the shell.

Edit: Did some Googling on "G401", found this thread:

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311526

Apparently it could be related to the "meter fuse", gonna replace it anyway even if it doesn't look blown and see what happens.

·
'01 Milano Red - BB615
982 Posts
I'm not trying to insult you, but are you just looking for blackened fuses or are you also looking for small breaks in the filament inside?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I'm not trying to insult you, but are you just looking for blackened fuses or are you also looking for small breaks in the filament inside?
I was checking for broken filament.

So yes, it was the meter fuse. Here's what happened. For a little while my turn signals weren't working, knowingly from a blown fuse. I hadn't gotten around to fixing it, and when I did, I replaced the Meter fuse, even though it didn't look blown because I found out the meter fuse controlled the turn signal switch. I also had to replace the fuse for the turn signal relay in the under-hood fuse box. I hadn't bothered to check the meter fuse since I just changed it and I thought it was for the turn signals, not my entire dashboard. However, originally, the meter fuse never was blown. I had just replaced it anyway. What caused it to blow? I have absolutely no clue. Apparently some people are saying it's from the reverse switch in the trans, but I've used reverse since I replaced the fuse and my dash still works. Soooo maybe it was some strange incident that the fuse blew.

Anyway, 1 dash board removal and 1 cut hand later, I realize I'm an idiot and it's always a matter of simple things. Dash had to come out anyway but it's whatever, thank you for your time anyway!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts