Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5th gen base (99) prelude isn't starting. There is a brand new alternator, and fully charged battery. I bought a remanuf starter from Advanced Auto Parts because I thought the starter was the issue, but it was not. When the key is inserted, the power is there, but when attempting to start, there is a click, and that's it. Before replacing the starter, it was as if the battery died completely when attempting to start(although it didn't. i just had to disconnect the battery and reconnect). After replacing the starter, that does not happen, instead the beeping that lets you know your key is still in the car goes off.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed a wire coming from the transmission that is not connected (img 3). I do not know for sure this is the problem with not starting but I thought I'd bring it up.
img1.jpeg img2.jpeg img3.jpeg img4.jpeg img5.jpeg
yes, i know its very dirty. I tried cleaning it to get more clear pictures

Info that MIGHT be useful:
Was automatic, but previous owner changed to manual
There was rain a couple of days ago and I left the hood open. but the battery was not in the car at all. I did let the car "dry out" for 3 days with the hood open and in direct sunlight before attempting anything

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just because the battery was not in the car does not mean that the water did not get into any of the electrics and damage them. Definitely could be that wire, i would try and fix it. But you could be in big trouble with the possible rain damage. It's good that you let it dry though. Also i would bench test the starter just in case. You can look up how to do that easily on Youtube. If you don't have a Chilton Manual (or similar) i would highly recommend getting one. There are many chapters in it that help diagnose problems, including no crank issues.
Sounds electrical to me because the only mechanical failures that i could think of would be something with the clutch (not being pressed down all the way so the starter will not activate), something with the ignition key lock, or the starter itself. Unless the engine is seized and and the starter can't move the newly molded aluminium anymore ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 5th gen base (99) prelude isn't starting. There is a brand new alternator, and fully charged battery. I bought a remanuf starter from Advanced Auto Parts because I thought the starter was the issue, but it was not. When the key is inserted, the power is there, but when attempting to start, there is a click, and that's it. Before replacing the starter, it was as if the battery died completely when attempting to start(although it didn't. i just had to disconnect the battery and reconnect). After replacing the starter, that does not happen, instead the beeping that lets you know your key is still in the car goes off.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed a wire coming from the transmission that is not connected (img 3). I do not know for sure this is the problem with not starting but I thought I'd bring it up.
View attachment 27527 View attachment 27528 View attachment 27529 View attachment 27530 View attachment 27531
yes, i know its very dirty. I tried cleaning it to get more clear pictures

Info that MIGHT be useful:
Was automatic, but previous owner changed to manual
There was rain a couple of days ago and I left the hood open. but the battery was not in the car at all. I did let the car "dry out" for 3 days with the hood open and in direct sunlight before attempting anything

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 97 prelude and just went through this my crankshaft pulley broke so I replaced and nothing then I bought a new distributor nothing changed so I thought it might have jumped time so did timing,water pump tensioners But come to find out there is a sensor behind the crankshaft pulley well replaced that and really from the get go I said that that was the problem so after that it started OMG I was so happy so 600$ should have been 25$ but I will say New timing belt distributor only 115 miles likes brand new car 1 more thing make sure your getting gas because it could be your fuel pump. I hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts