Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. just got my car up and running again. its an electrical nightmare. but anyways my tail lights, gauges (tach, speedo, and water temp), and windows/moonroof are not working.

would this be relay/fuse related? does anybody know where i should start? Im really stupid when it comes to wiring shit.

please, any input is appreciated!

thanks guys!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have some electrical issue and I have been doing some research on this. My experience are first: I have dim/no light on the right side of the gauges (speedo/gas) and climate control so what I did for the part is just smash the top of the cluster couple of time and the lights came back on. Same w/ the climate control where the clock and emergency switch is at (my clock is out b/c of wire don't know how to fix it). For the windows/door, I haven't try swapping out the switches but I am pretty sure it is not the switch. Did some research on that and figure out that there is a modelue on the both side of the front driver and passenger. On the passenger side it is located on the side wall next to the speaker. The driver side also has one but I forgot what the modeule was called. Let me know if you guys got more information that was just my experience w/ electric. LOL. THanks.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
The general order I would consider is:

1) Check fuses
2) Check if bulb burned
3) Check if potential difference at terminals (See if there is "12v" or whatever for the tail light bulbs. This is done with a multimeter)
4) Check for grounds. Make sure that the "hot" wire isnt grounded. Which would often lead to a blown fuse..
5)Check for discontinuity in wiring. (See if there is a broken wire somewhere)

Download the helms from the link in my sig. The electrical section to be exact.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I had this happen to me.. Some how I hooked up my JDM fogs to the wrong fuse and it keep burning a wire. I had someone who knew more than I about electrical stuff and he fixed it for me. So I say check fuses and some wires down there first. The guy above me has a good checklist.. I drove from Tallahassee to Tampa, Fl with none of those lights.. I was so lucky not to get pulled over....

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
im having a similar issue with the 3rd fuse on the top row of the fusebox by your feet driver side. (one labeled tail light)
for some reason when that fuse is out the gauge lights go out as well as the tails as well as the door open sound signal. I dunno wtf is going on but i figured I had one bad fuse, even if it wasnt blown cuz when i replaced it everything was ok, but then this morning everything started flashing and went out again. i think both fuses are fucked i hope its not a deeper issue. check that fuse asap.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
most likely a fuse if you ask me - i kept blowing one of two in the ignition - the one that worked only did the things you cant but the other woulddnt... as in my car wouldn start

·
_
2,494 Posts
i installed jdm fog lights about 2 months before all my dimmer circuits shut themselves off. now i have my trunk light wires, rigged up to the tails so i can drive around. everytime i stop and start the car, i have to plug and unplug the fkng tails.

checked all my fuses, and they are good. i have deduced it to a connection problem, probably at the fuse box.

does everyone who has this problem, also have jdm fogs? i dont see how i could possibly have wired them up wrong. i bought the wiring harness, and followed the step by step instructions exactly. not that it was complicated in the least, cus you just pretty much had to plug and play. minus the mounting of the relay, and the ground terminal.

next week, i'm actually going to leave my car at a good mechanic to find out how to fucking fix this annoying bullshit. driving without cluster lights is the worst.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow yes all of you are mostly correct! i changed out the taillight 15A fuse and everything (well almost everything) instantly worked. my Brake lights, windows, moonroof, and gauges now work.

the last problem is that my tail lights will not dim when the headlights are on. when i mean dim they wont turn on. however when i press the brake pedal they light up.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
my running lights, gauge lights, all interior lights and just about everything went out on my car
it turned out to b a small little 15 fuse
test all ur fuses, cuz honda charges a shit load to get a new relay,lol

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yep 15A fuse fixed most all of the problems but i still cant get my tail lights to turn on. i pulled out the old bulbs. one filliment on the 7443 looked crispy so i got new ones. maybe im frying my bulbs. im going to go check to see if they are still in new condition.

problem:

Tail lights not turning on. Brakes however do light up

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok so just went out and realized that the FRONT and REAR lights are not dimming when i have the parking lights on. the front 168 wedge bulbs, the rear wedge bulbs, and the rear dual filliment 7443 are not dimming.

what is this?!

·
_
2,494 Posts
yep 15A fuse fixed most all of the problems but i still cant get my tail lights to turn on. i pulled out the old bulbs. one filliment on the 7443 looked crispy so i got new ones. maybe im frying my bulbs. im going to go check to see if they are still in new condition.

problem:

Tail lights not turning on. Brakes however do light up

this is fuctup. this issue almost seems to be more than just a loose connection. which, i'm betting it's that, collaborated with something else. planning for the worst, hoping for the best, and always groping for the breast.

since your brake lights are still working, i would assume your dimmed circuit simply has no power on it. when this happens, does your gauge cluster light up? (mine doesnt) check your license plate lights as well... mine are out when my dimming circuit decides to stop working. Also, this problem seems to be intermittent for me. anybody else?

do you have jdm fogs? honda wiring harness?

·
Registered
149 Posts
this is fuctup. this issue almost seems to be more than just a loose connection. which, i'm betting it's that, collaborated with something else. planning for the worst, hoping for the best, and always groping for the breast.

since your brake lights are still working, i would assume your dimmed circuit simply has no power on it. when this happens, does your gauge cluster light up? (mine doesnt) check your license plate lights as well... mine are out when my dimming circuit decides to stop working. Also, this problem seems to be intermittent for me. anybody else?

do you have jdm fogs? honda wiring harness?
Just for your information for me I don't have JDM fog lights. Was this 15A under the driver side or in the hood?

·
_
2,494 Posts
Just for your information for me I don't have JDM fog lights. Was this 15A under the driver side or in the hood?
your problem is not related with our problem. you seem to have a loose connection in your gauge cluster's light, inside there.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
anybody know the "tail light" fuse? like where is it and which one? i think thats my problem.

·
Registered
330 Posts
anybody know the "tail light" fuse? like where is it and which one? i think thats my problem.
There's one under the dash labeled "taillights" and one under the hood labeled "dash lights" I believe. Both of these fuses must be in good working order. I remember when I had this problem. It really stressed me out. Turns out the problem was a faulty wire.

·
_
2,494 Posts
a walkthrough fix of this would be very nice.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts