Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am haveing trouble with my 90 b20A5 prelude, the fuel and the temp gauge were working and i pulled the cluster gauge apart because my tach wasent working but now my tach works but my fuel and temp gauge dont work. and i have searched for about the past 3 days and i have cheacked all the connections they are good. i also today checked all the fuses. i have read that its a posible bad ground some were behind the dash but cant seem to find it. but what its doing is it says i have a full tank of gas and the temp jumps up to beyond over heating even when the motor is dead cold. i am hoping to be driving this car in the next cuple of days so please help.
thanks

·
Registered
752 Posts
i no the one by the radio is the ground for the temp cuz i got scared out my mind when i did my swap cuz i looked up and my temp was on the hot side

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
grounds behind clock, and right beside the steering column to the right. in that same location, beside radio, there are a few more. they are bolted on with the dash removed, so if you find a broken one, extend it and reground it. there is also ground in drivers kick panel beside hood release handle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright thanks guys I will check those first thing in the morning Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.0; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah when i turn my head lights on the cluster get light, so your saying my gound wire is good. so then how do i by pass it ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay so I think I have a break in the wire some were from my ground wire to my ground, can I just cut in and re wire it to another ground location ? Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.0; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
you have the same thing i have, and it has to do with the Screws in the back of the gauges. when you took them off and put them back on you might've put them too tight and stripped the threading and now the connection is not being done properly. (the power is channeled through the screws into the gauges.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I finally finished it up this morning and no dice. The fuel and temp gauge are still peged at hot and full tank, so what's new all my step ? I made sure none of the screws were striped and that I had a good ground. Thanks Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.0; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920

·
Registered
411 Posts
even if the threads on the screws are fine, if you tighten them too tight it can break the wires that wrap around the metal posts inside the gauge.

not so much of a problem for the tacho, because the connections go to a circuit board, but on the fuel and temp there is no board and the connections go straight into the coil winding of the gauge.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
ya you'd strip the inside of the gauge before the screw.. metal > plastic.

i still don't know how to fix the problem. i'd need like some "teflon tape" or something similar that can also conduct electricity. i dunno if they have copper tape? does that exist?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay so I picked up 2 more of just the fuel and temp gauges today at 2 local junk yards, and it didn't appear that anyone had them apart before so I am going to give them a shot tomarrow and make sure I don't over tighten them Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.0; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
yeah on the temp / fuel gauge itself is the same for all ludes 90-91

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay so its fixed, just swaped in the new fuel and temp gauge and made sure not to tightn them too tight and it works Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.0; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
i guess i need to find new gauges too then >.>

1 - 20 of 22 Posts