Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to get a custom muffler shop cat-back exhaust either 2.25 or 2.5 ID but I can't find a shop around where I go to college with a mandrel bender. My question is how much of a difference do you guys think it would make? I don't want to go from one poor flowing exhaust system to another but I also don't have $400 to spend on a thermal and i've heard not so great things about the pacesetter system.

bump

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
As long as the bends are good ones the mandrel bend issue isn;t one worht worrying about. Crush bends can be almost as good as long as they aren't over-crushed.

the mandrel thing is way over emphasised.
It'll be worth less than 2bhp in total.
Hardly worth the extra cost IMO and the reason why I went with a crush bend pipe on my latest system.
It actually makes better power than the previous mandrel bent system.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
2.25 is plenty unless you go turbot.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Yeah i have 2.25 press-bent with a flowmaster muffler. The bends are clean, since none of them are more than 90 degrees. Mandrel bent looks better, but unless your engine needs to evacuate a lot of gasses really quickly (i.e. makes a lot of power, i.e. is turboed and/or revs really high) the benefit of mandrel bending isn't going to be at all significant. Save the dough. Just don't get a crappy muffler or you'll sound like a ricer. I like my flowmaster, even if it doesn't look cool.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm using the muffler i have on it right now, i had to take off the stock one when i bought the car cuz it was rusted pretty bad so i just slaped on a muffler i had on my old car. It looks pretty funny but it sounds good, nice and deep. It even made a 91 oldsmobile achieva (a grand am in oldsmobile clothing) sound decent. I'll try to post pictures and movie clips of it in its present state as soon as i can.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those things suck. If you value having money in your pockets i'd stay away from any car with the Quad four motor. I had to replace the starter, replace all coolant lines, and the heater in the dashboard, replace the radiator fans, replace all motor mounts, both cv shafts, and then the final straw that broke the camels back was when the head gasket blew. I had 2 shops straight up tell me to junk it and get a new car because they refused to work on the Quad four motor and then got quotes from about 3 shops for a grand or more.

.... Yes i have a deep loathing for that motor. All that happened in a 9 month period. And the car had less than 130,000 miles on it. Ended up junkin it for 75 dollars and it took quite a bit of bargining to get that much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts