Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 base prelude that I’ve just swapped an h22a4 into, and I have no idea what’s wrong with it. It will crank and run, but it runs very poorly. While it’s running, I’ll hit the gas a little bit and it’ll rev up to 3k rpm and then die. It doesnt die immediately but it just slowly goes dead. I’ve replaced the tps, distributor, knock sensor, spark plugs, and I’ve checked the vacuum lines to make sure they’re correct. On the new tps, it stays at 5% throttle no matter what, and the o2 sensors stay at 1v. I’ve been working on this for three weeks now and I’m about to give up.

·
Administrator
6,729 Posts
What was wrong with the old motor?

What was swapped from the old motor to "new" motor?

Is your IACV working properly?

Are you using all factory components (throttle body, intake manifold etc.)?

The TPS needs to be calibrated - it's not a simple drill out the rivets on the old sensor and screw a new one in. It shouldn't read 5% all the time though even uncalibrated. What did it read with the old sensor?

When you say o2 sensor, do you mean the air fuel sensor on the down pipe or the o2 sensor after the converter?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What was wrong with the old motor?

What was swapped from the old motor to "new" motor?

Is your IACV working properly?

Are you using all factory components (throttle body, intake manifold etc.)?

The TPS needs to be calibrated - it's not a simple drill out the rivets on the old sensor and screw a new one in. It shouldn't read 5% all the time though even uncalibrated. What did it read with the old sensor?

When you say o2 sensor, do you mean the air fuel sensor on the down pipe or the o2 sensor after the converter?
The old motor was burning oil because it had 300k miles on it. Yes it’s old motor to a newer motor. I’m pretty sure it is working correctly. Everything is factory from Honda except the catback. I have no idea how to calibrate it and I have no idea what the old one was reading but it was showing up on the cel. And I’m talking about both sensors

·
Administrator
6,729 Posts
Have you checked for any damaged pins on the sensor connectors?

Do you have the old throttle body to swap on?

Possible it's a connector issue, slight chance even ground related

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you checked for any damaged pins on the sensor connectors?

Do you have the old throttle body to swap on?

Possible it's a connector issue, slight chance even ground related
I’ve replaced most of the sensors on the car besides the oil pressure sensor. I do have the old throttle body but it’s broken where the air filter attaches I’ve checked my ground and they were all similar to factory spec. I’ve even gone as far as to regulate the valves to 0.10 inch gap. Nothing has worked so far and has the same issues in two different sets of injectors. Fuel pump is working fine. Is there any way I can upload a video of what’s going on?

·
Administrator
6,729 Posts
Unsure on any methods to upload videos besides youtube, photobucket etc.

I would try the old throttle body - just don't put the intake on. For idle testing, it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Cel only for tps? What are you using to check codes? Here’s a write up on how calibrate.

Reading 1v constantly on o2 would make the car think it’a constantly in lean condition and try to add fuel to correct, probably flooding and causing the bogging issue at 3k you described. New o2 sensors? I would check the wiring on those. Might have pinched/cut something reinstalling the motor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I hate to admit but, I had the tps and map sensor plugs backwards. Thanks to everyone that helped and I’ll definitely use this forum for any more prelude problems. Thank y’all so much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts