Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1988 prelude 20si nightmare
bought the car for this winter needs a lot of body work i.e rust but seemed to run fine no transmission problems 4ws was working well, just needed the passenger side cv joint so i took it to the shop replaced that, 2 days later on my way to work i hear this noise it sounds exactly like the cv joint but it didnt just happen when i turned it happened when i applied gas period, the next morning i noticed the transmission slip out of gear on this hill. i finally got it to go back in gear by shifting to park then back into drive so the next morning heading home from work the car shifts no grinding no anything but it will not move the engine just revs. i immediately shut off the car im going back tonight to check the tranny dipstick, other than low tranny fluid what else could be the problem, also i've been looking at used transmissions on ebay is this a better route to go than a rebuild and by better i mean cheaper. paid 600 for the car 400 for cv joint and tie rod end i would like to keep the cost of the car under 2gs total i just wanted something to get me through the winter and this is turning into a nightmare any suggestions or possible diagnosis please let me know. and yes it is auto. the hard part is i fell in love with the car in the short time that i've owned it and it's becoming harder to say "no" and just junk it which i was planning to do when winter was over anyway. i just feel like anymore money i throw at this thing is wasted because of the body work it needs and the lack of parts available. any help would be greatly appreicated

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
slipping in and outta gear it a sign your auto is on the death leg. Sometimes I had problems when It was really cold getting my auto into gear.

Questions:
when it doesnt pop in gear and you give it gas does the speedometer move? If yes then its your cv shaft is out

Do you let the car warm up fully? If no then it could be just cold tranny fluid.

Also an auto transmission uses a torque converter which completely relies on tranny fluid so you might want to consider filling her up first and see if that solves anything

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i let it warm up fully first for a good 15 minutes, the funny part is drive wont engage at all when its warm only when its cold. im going to fill it up tonight but i didnt see any leaks or anything so i'm a little puzzled as to why it would be low. thanks for the quick response and sorry if i missed one of your questions

slipping in and outta gear it a sign your auto is on the death leg. Sometimes I had problems when It was really cold getting my auto into gear.

Questions:
when it doesnt pop in gear and you give it gas does the speedometer move? If yes then its your cv shaft is out

Do you let the car warm up fully? If no then it could be just cold tranny fluid.

Also an auto transmission uses a torque converter which completely relies on tranny fluid so you might want to consider filling her up first and see if that solves anything

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I've had the same thing happen in my auto. Somehow the guy before me had some people put the axels from a 90-91 in my 89 and somehow wedged it in there so it wouldn't pop out and after the rebuild they wouldn't stay in and the tranny fluid came out. Sounds like it could be low transmission fluid to me.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
yes i let it warm up fully first for a good 15 minutes, the funny part is drive wont engage at all when its warm only when its cold. im going to fill it up tonight but i didnt see any leaks or anything so i'm a little puzzled as to why it would be low. thanks for the quick response and sorry if i missed one of your questions

What do you guys think about trying some Lucas in it ??

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
You have to understand the way a torque converter works.

Its the housing attached to the crankshaft via a plate. Inside the housing are 2 Impellers. One attached to the Housing (Impeller A) and one attached to the transmission (Impeller B)

As you rev the engine Impeller A spins the fluid which causes Impeller B to move.

Ever wonder why even at Idle auto trannys always move a little bit? Cause the fact that Impeller A is always spinning!

So when you dont have enough fluid to fill the torque Converter it means theres not enough fluid for Impeller A to spin Impeller B.

Hence why it could be popping in and outta gears and also no going into them. When its cold the fluid is way more dense then when warm.

I Feel like this is your problem because my buddy had the same prob on his 71 GP and it would slip gears and not really deliver so we topped it off and it worked just fine after that

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
after checking the tranny dipstick it was near empty, i filled it and it drove to the shop where they put in the axle, they said the axel was defective and that was the source of the leak because there was a spindle that was slipping out of its socket and that was the noise i was hearing and the source of the leak or something to be perfectly honest i have no idea all i heard was he would fix it for free. but after hearing this noise i had still driven it for a day or two before it was completely undrivable how much damage to my transmission did this really do?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
+1 for me haha, I was right. Same thing happened to me as I said earlier and it seems like you had the same problem. I turned my car off as soon as I realized there was a problem with my tranny and I haven't had a problem since I fixed my axle issue. I doubt you did much damage if any at all.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
hopefully it will be fine...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah you were right man, hands down. thanks for all the input guys i really appreciate it

+1 for me haha, I was right. Same thing happened to me as I said earlier and it seems like you had the same problem. I turned my car off as soon as I realized there was a problem with my tranny and I haven't had a problem since I fixed my axle issue. I doubt you did much damage if any at all.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
the transmission could be out.
i had the SAME exact problem.

when it revs and wont move, you can park, turn it off for a minute and turn it back on and itll drive a little farther, yeah?
im in the middle of replacing my transmission after its done that.

its wayyy cheaper to buy a used one and put it in, even if you pay to get it put in.

the aamco guy said he could do it for 500, and i paid 300 for my transmission, rebuilding it would cost about 1500.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
You have to understand the way a torque converter works.

Its the housing attached to the crankshaft via a plate. Inside the housing are 2 Impellers. One attached to the Housing (Impeller A) and one attached to the transmission (Impeller B)

As you rev the engine Impeller A spins the fluid which causes Impeller B to move.

Ever wonder why even at Idle auto trannys always move a little bit? Cause the fact that Impeller A is always spinning!

So when you dont have enough fluid to fill the torque Converter it means theres not enough fluid for Impeller A to spin Impeller B.

Hence why it could be popping in and outta gears and also no going into them. When its cold the fluid is way more dense then when warm.

I Feel like this is your problem because my buddy had the same prob on his 71 GP and it would slip gears and not really deliver so we topped it off and it worked just fine after that
and mine drove better when it was cold.. as soon as itd warm up, itd stop moving.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
disregard what i said.. lol
i just read the rest of the posts.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
and mine drove better when it was cold.. as soon as itd warm up, itd stop moving.
It may have been your tranny fluid.

As for the OP's problem You know its something wrong with the axle when you put it in drive and it wont move and you rev it and your speedo goes up.

I neutral bombed it one day and it jumped real harsh. I was in drive and gas-ing it and my speedo would should 40mph but she wouldn't move. Thats how I found out my axles broke.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Low trans fluid can make a trans do funky things. When the passenger side cv-axle is changed, the trans can loose a bit of fluid. There is likely your issue.

Of coarse if you drove the car low on trans fluid, you may have damaged it. I'd check the shop receipts to see if they charged you for trans fluid. If they didn't, they fucked up big time by neglecting to top off the fluid.

Call a lawyer...

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
yeah you were right man, hands down. thanks for all the input guys i really appreciate it
This is a better site to get answers than the one you were on before...hope it helped and welcome

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
i hope my transmission is actually out and doesnt have just a minor problem..
cuz i paid 300 for a new one and am now struggling to put it in!
my cars already half taken apart though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no they did not charge me for tranny fluid, cv joint, tierod end and an alignment that was it. if however what they're saying is true and the part is defective how much of a case do i really have

Low trans fluid can make a trans do funky things. When the passenger side cv-axle is changed, the trans can loose a bit of fluid. There is likely your issue.

Of coarse if you drove the car low on trans fluid, you may have damaged it. I'd check the shop receipts to see if they charged you for trans fluid. If they didn't, they fucked up big time by neglecting to top off the fluid.

Call a lawyer...

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I didn't catch which axle was replaced, but sometimes when you pull the passenger one out, you lose some tranny fluid. I realize this just reinforces what 3 people already told you, but it's something to consider.

Good luck getting it fixed.

Also, since common knowledge is not always so common, Tranny fluid is checked with the vehicle on a level surface, in park, running.

Welcome to the site.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts