Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!! I am new to the forum (and honestly new to any forum for that matter), so I wanted to introduce myself. I'm Trixie, and I recently got a 2000 Honda Prelude! For the most part, my Prelude is in good shape, but there are a few rust spots, which have been sanded out but still need to fix them and repaint. The interior of the car is in very nice condition. I do have a problem with rain/water accumulating in the spare tire well of the trunk, but I think I just need to check the sunroof drain. I absolutely LOVE driving my Prelude!!!! My Prelude was running great... started up immediately, ran smooth...
Until the Check Engine light came on. Now I have this incessant issue with the Check Engine light coming back on after every shop visit, sputtering on initial start up, and running rough when idling at a stop light. I've taken my baby in multiple times to two different auto shops, and they both did the same thing: Replaced the distributor cap and wiring harness, removed and de-carboned the throttle body, and replaced all 4 spark plugs with new ones - three times! The shops reset the computer, the Check Engine light goes out, I take my baby home, but after driving a few miles, the Check Engine Light comes back on. When I take my Prelude back to the shop, the mechanics tell me that the plugs keep getting fouled up... they either check the plugs and clean them or replace them- which is how I've ended up with new plugs three times. I've also noticed that my fuel economy has gotten much worse and smoke coming from the tailpipe. The mechanics tell me my baby is "burning oil because it's an older engine" - which only tells me they have no clue and don't know much about older imports.
I am hoping that someone, somewhere, can provide some insight on what's going on... I love my baby and just want him back to normal :-(
Since I'm a lady, my Prelude is a gentleman ;-) smile
Also, if anyone has any tips on an auto shop in the DC/MD/VA area that specializes in older Hondas, that would be great! Any and all advice is welcome. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
1985 Prelude
137 Posts
An engine that burns oil can fowl spark plugs, but not that fast. If your engine is burning oil, you would notice a somewhat blueish color to the exhaust. Also it would have a lot of engine blowby. (You can search on youtube for examples of both.) I think your mechanic is incompetent.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts