Honda Prelude Forum banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Update:
Kenwood speakers installed; I found 4X for cheap and crammed myself into the car one afternoon and replaced them. The old ones were all so crusted up. The front door panels were also found to not be completely secured, so I repositioned those pop rivets and got the panels more buttoned-up. The sounds are definitely a lot more rich. Accord to the 1991 Prelude brochure, the Si model had a "high power" cassette deck; well let me just turn it up another notch.

Replaced the IACV gasket; old one didn't seem to be leaking any air, but I had bought a new one during my troubleshooting on the low idle issues. The old gasket was all hardened. The slow "low-to-high-idle" ramping up issue is still there, but I've decided to just live with it.

Replaced the shocks. The fronts were easy to remove, but my spring compressor didn't fit between the coils; I had to have a shop swap the shocks. The rear units were tricky to remove from the car, almost solving a puzzle. As mentioned, I replaced with KYB Excel-G and Sachs OEM replacements. Definitely no more wallowing around. I can see how a Honda Prelude rides more smooth than a Honda Civic, the ride is definitely more GT than track monster.

I have discovered an oil leak coming from towards the back of the engine. It doesn't seem like it's coming from the oil filter interface, but would anybody know if the oil filter housing is a common leak point?

Finally, I have given the car a wash and will start polishing the clear, as it's slightly oxidized. I have a 3M Perfect-It Ultrafine Machine Polish that I've used on my other cars with great success, so hopefully the results will repeat.
View attachment 27812
So you are using different struts brand for rear and front ? Any particular reasons for that ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Unfortunately there aren't many, if any, quality replacement OEM shocks for the 3rd gens. I wouldn't have minded some KONI yellows or Tokico Illuminas along with some H&Rs, but the shocks aren't made anymore, and the springs are all in Germany, with heavy export duties.

I was on ebay searching around, and noticed that the KYB and Sachs were offered as a package in multiple listings. I did some part number tracing and realized this was literally the only way to get OEM replacements as a set. I have KYB AGX running on another car with good experience, and Sachs is a subsidiary of ZF, a big German automotive supplier, so I figure it was a good (if not the only) route.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
So I buffed the clear and fortunately it only took a little bit of elbow grease before the oxidation came off. A good feeling of success when the paint popped again.

Here's before, along with that infamous dirty mattress in the background (I bang my head on it when struggling with other car projects).

Here's after. The rotating tool made quick work of buffing out the oxidation; I could've manually polished by hand, but this was definitely faster. I threw on some wax and the paint was very deep looking.

Next on the list (and hopefully last) will be to figure out that rear-of-block oil leak, and an alignment.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts