Honda Prelude Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
In the end I loosened the lower mounting bolt and removed the top mounting bolt for the power steering pump; that allowed the pump to pivot enough so that I could remove the belt. Got the alternator and alternator / AC belt off as well. I might just go and remove the A/C compressor bracket off to get that power steering tensioner pulley nut off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yeah, two factors messed up that bolt:
1) mistakenly thought it was reverse thread
2) didn't have a really good box wrench

·
Premium Member
9,119 Posts
I probably have a spare ps tensioner laying around. Just pay shipping and it's yours. Message me if you want it. I don't check in here very often now that I don't have any 3rd gens.

·
Registered
222 Posts
and we miss ya Buddy....... Hay remind me, but did u have a spare water inlet pipe for a 3rd Gen? Somebody on here was desperate to find one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I spent quite some time removing the radiator; it was definitely not as straightforward as I thought it’d be. Not much space, needed to undo the fans first, needing to undo the radiator support as well, but ultimately got it out. The pic below shows the AC fan removed, and all the AC lines that were still blocking the other fan. You can also see the unbolted radiator support. Is this how others hv removed their radiators?

I noticed the radiator was dripping this grey liquid out the lower radiator opening.... is this some StopLeak stuff? When I first drained the radiator it was still green coolant. In any case this radiator is done.

Finally, does anyone know where I can find a front engine mount? Mine is torn.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Today was one of those "not exactly sure what progress I made" days. The crank pulley tool I bought was slightly out of tolerance, so I had to shave that down a bit. Afterwards, i cracked two sockets trying to remove the crank pulley out. I've used non-impact sockets in the past, but this is the first time I've actually split them. Even PB Blasted the bolt. The suspension arms are in the way, and therefore I can't use a jack to push on the breaker bar for the crank bolt.

I gave up on that and decided to remove the power steering tensioner pulley bracket. I got the four front bolts out, and proceeded to remove the one facing the driver's side. That bolt absolutely would not budge. PB blasted that one, as well as blasted a knuckle. No progress.

Back to an earlier post, thanks for the offer on the PS tensioner pulley; I'll definitely keep that offer in mind if I become stuck. Right now it's two sockets (1/2in and 19mm) and a front motor mount on order.

·
Premium Member
9,119 Posts
and we miss ya Buddy....... Hay remind me, but did u have a spare water inlet pipe for a 3rd Gen? Somebody on here was desperate to find one.
It's nice to be missed, even if just a little :D
Yeah, I think I have a water inlet pipe for a manual. Wouldn't work for an auto though if that's what they need. I really need to go through my spare parts to see exactly what I have.
Today was one of those "not exactly sure what progress I made" days. The crank pulley tool I bought was slightly out of tolerance, so I had to shave that down a bit. Afterwards, i cracked two sockets trying to remove the crank pulley out. I've used non-impact sockets in the past, but this is the first time I've actually split them. Even PB Blasted the bolt. The suspension arms are in the way, and therefore I can't use a jack to push on the breaker bar for the crank bolt.

I gave up on that and decided to remove the power steering tensioner pulley bracket. I got the four front bolts out, and proceeded to remove the one facing the driver's side. That bolt absolutely would not budge. PB blasted that one, as well as blasted a knuckle. No progress.

Back to an earlier post, thanks for the offer on the PS tensioner pulley; I'll definitely keep that offer in mind if I become stuck. Right now it's two sockets (1/2in and 19mm) and a front motor mount on order.
Sounds good, lemme know. I think have more than one of those.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I spent quite some time removing the radiator; it was definitely not as straightforward as I thought it’d be. Not much space, needed to undo the fans first, needing to undo the radiator support as well, but ultimately got it out. The pic below shows the AC fan removed, and all the AC lines that were still blocking the other fan. You can also see the unbolted radiator support. Is this how others hv removed their radiators?

View attachment 27277

I noticed the radiator was dripping this grey liquid out the lower radiator opening.... is this some StopLeak stuff? When I first drained the radiator it was still green coolant. In any case this radiator is done.
View attachment 27278

Finally, does anyone know where I can find a front engine mount? Mine is torn.

Bought all of my motor mounts from Rock Auto then beefed them up with windshield sealer silicon....

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanx luzer, I bumped the coolant pipe thread to the top. Its now 2 months old.... so who knows. but its nice to know that 1 may be still out there.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts