Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, ive had my prelude about 3 or 4 years now. For the most part I havent had any trouble but about a year ago i started getting an oil leak that i couldnt find the source of and my transmission would slip randomly with no real rhyme or reason. Everytime i took it to a mechanic theyd try fixing this and that to get closer and closer to fixing it. No solution. So i put her away till i got the the time, money, and professional help. Now i have the time, money, but no help. So my question is: For someone who has no real clue what theyre doing, as this would be my first time, but has a manual. Would it be easier to do it the normal way and replace stuff while the engine while its in the car, start taking the engine apart while its in the car, or pull the engine out and put it on a stand and fix it that way by myself?

·
Administrator
6,675 Posts
Depends on what all you are looking to do and level of determination and confidence. Overwhelmed easily? Leave the motor in. Basic oil seals? Leave the motor in. Full engine re-seal and transmission work? Pull the motor.

Time can get away from you very quickly. I've had my own motor out a few times to make life easy, in my situation it means i have no choice but to get it back together and on the road. Currently it has been on jackstands for nearly 6 months because i started doing more custom things to the motor that snowballed. I should have pulled it again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve done a complete rebuild on a H-series engine if you need any help/questions. Timing belt and clutch, valve adjustment for example are much easier when the engine is already out of the car, but can be done with the motor still in. I’d start with a compression and leak down test to see the condition of the motor. If consistent across the board I’d not pull the power train. If the compression is low I’d look to rebuild.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts