Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK my radiator fans will not turn on at all.
The fuse is fine.
Ill be testing the relay for continuity tonight.

However I wanna test the fan motor too.
I know I disconnect the 2-piece connector going to the fan motor.
The first terminal is power and the second terminal is ground.

What do I do? Find wires and insert them in and lead them to the car battery?
Sorry you can bash me for this one.LOL

·
I Miss My BB2 :'(
3,589 Posts
wire it to the ignition wire behind the radio. thats what i did in my 3rd gen and as long as the car was running the fan was on. worked perfect. i never over heated.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its it pretty cold outside up here in PA.
After 15-20 minutes of driving and if Im stuck in traffic,the guage slowly goes up.
Sometimes Ill be stuck in traffic too long and then it goes in the red zone.Then Ill have to pull over and let her cool down and then Ill pop the hood and the fans are not activated.:mad2:

Ok never mind guys I used speaker wires to check if the fan motor was culprit ,but they turned on.

Ok my next question is how to check the cooling fan relay and yes I do have a multimeter. I have to measure continuity,but have little experience with a multimeter.:plain:

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
After 15-20 minutes of driving and if Im stuck in traffic,the guage slowly goes up.
Sometimes Ill be stuck in traffic too long and then it goes in the red zone.Then Ill have to pull over and let her cool down and then Ill pop the hood and the fans are not activated.:mad2:

Ok never mind guys I used speaker wires to check if the fan motor was culprit ,but they turned on.

Ok my next question is how to check the cooling fan relay and yes I do have a multimeter. I have to measure continuity,but have little experience with a multimeter.:plain:

Any help is appreciated.
first check for live at the fan with multi or test light if u dont have 12v check fuse in fuse box if u have 12v then trace the wires to the thermo switch, at the the switch disconnect the wires to it and bridge them with a 20amp blade fuse (WILL GIVE YOU PROTECTION IF YOU HAVE WRONG SWITCH/SENDER instead of using jumper wire) this will test your wiring and relays if the fans work then its your thermo switch at fault. if not trace through the wiring for continuity i find it best to use the diode testing mode as its audible. HTH

·
Registered
175 Posts

Any help is appreciated.
You should check and see if you really are overheating with an infrared temp gun on the top radiator hose. Gauge failure is common on the 4th gen prelude. Then there is the temp sensor, could also be the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts