Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up guys this is the first honda ive owned though i am no stranger to them. i recently visited my step dads small carlot bak home and what did i find sitting on a flat an 86 prelude si. i instantly asked him what was wrong besides the flat. no 5th gear he said. then he asked if i wanted it seeing my excitment. so now i picked up the si for free bucks. ive always wanted to get into hondas but wanted somthin different either a crx or a prelude. so for starters i need to fix or just swap the tanny for "new" one any ideas on price and where i can find parts?

·
Registered
670 Posts
welcome to the site..:wave:..i would just replace the tranny if i were you i sure some one on here can help you out if not, try car-part.com. they search local junk yard you can find alot of good stuff on there.

ohh yea try to post up some pics too

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx

welcome to the site..:wave:..i would just replace the tranny if i were you i sure some one on here can help you out if not, try car-part.com. they search local junk yard you can find alot of good stuff on there.

ohh yea try to post up some pics too
thanx dude im xcited i want to keep clean. but first i got a lil cleanin to do the body is straight its a gem being as i got it for free!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Also check out 3geez.com, a lot of 3g accord parts work on our 2g ludes. 3g accords have different gear ratios, but the gears will interchange between casings. This gives you a few options when it comes to customizing the transmission.

·
Registered
754 Posts
hows it going and welcome to the site, first off anything you want to find can be found by using the search icon at the top of the page, also i second on the pics so post some up

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
5th gear

Common fault on US cars as thats all they use on the highway, you can change it on the car but it's so tight for space it's easier to pull the engine, chances are it may need new other bits too. You can use internals from a few different Hondas. You can use another 2G prelude, or 3G accord, or Acura 1G Integra with D16ZC, possibly if you can find one a Honda with a D16ZC from a 1st gen JDM CRX/Civic or Integra, to be honest new parts on these isn't much, and more than likely it's going to be the syncro thats shot on the box, you can get these new for reasonable money you have to get 5th with reverse, 1st and 2nd come as a pair and 3rd and 4th, 3rd and 4th are so cheap it's worth putting in new ones if your taking it apart anyways especially as they are quite often used with full power going onto highways etc.
Anyways nice find hope you enjoy your new toy cause we all certainly do everyone from those of us running on a tight budget to those of us who use their 2G as a plaything for weekends and money doesn't even get thought about!! Well occasionally then i get scared and think about driving it very quickly to take my mind of the subject!! lol!!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
ive had three transmissions on myne so far i just got used ones from junkyards until this last one i got the whole parts car for 500 and it was an 85 dx i think but mynes an 87 si it took a little extra work but for some reason to me it feels more powerful now anyway u can probably pic up a used trans for 200 to 300 dollars but a new one or rebuilt ones like 800 to 1000 or some shit i think ill stick with used lol
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
754 Posts
ive had three transmissions on myne so far i just got used ones from junkyards until this last one i got the whole parts car for 500 and it was an 85 dx i think but mynes an 87 si it took a little extra work but for some reason to me it feels more powerful now anyway u can probably pic up a used trans for 200 to 300 dollars but a new one or rebuilt ones like 800 to 1000 or some shit i think ill stick with used lol
Posted via Mobile
yea no doubt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts