Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bearderator
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted this with my local forum, figured I'd post it here too.

Yea, I've got the real inside scoop, not even Timmy knows about this...

In response to the reputation of being expensive to repair, needing more repairs than are necessary, having limited reliability, and many other complaints, the engineers at Volkswagen have turned to third world countries (yea, third world countries!) to find out how they make their Volkswagen's last.

Under heavy examination of these third world VWs, Volkswagen soon discovered it's flaws in it's extreme precision engineering. They've found solutions to problems they never expected, and what's more the solutions are cheap. Following these street side repairs and even replacements of VW parts for those of a non-VW make, Volkswagen has come up with quite a bit of a surprise.

The new Volkswagen they've designed is both a far departure from the line we've come to know, yet it's styling cues are so familiar to the VW's of the past you will definitely look twice when you see this car pass by you on the street. Encompassing weight reduction (an understatement IMO), new aerodynamics, mechanical simplification, and a hybrid drivetrain, Volkswagen claims this is their most reliable vehicle to date! They've even returned to using an air-cooled power train! I'm going to highlight and explain a bit more on those things below. There is a pic to follow too!

Like many of us, Volkswagen has noticed a trend in modern cars: Bigger & heavier. That's something that Volkswagen did not do, and something that has lead to their demise. This new model excludes everything that has made Volkswagen's big and heavy, and coupled with the mechanical simplification, the overall vehicle weight has dropped to such a low curb weight that you will question the engineers and salesmen as to whether or not they're pulling your leg. Add to this the new hybrid drive train and you're left with fuel economy that is simply astronomical. In a literal sense of miles per gallon, Volkswagen engineers filled the gas tank of a test vehicle with ONE gallon of 87 octane, and handed the vehicle to a typical civilian who commutes through the city. According to reports, the results were astounding. So much so actually, that despite after having the vehicle for a whole day of use, the engineers initially thought the change in gas volume was due to evaporation alone! After checking to make sure everything was sealed properly and the gas cap was indeed on, they were left almost speechless. They've decided to do three more test runs to verify the results prior to releasing the figures. The initial test suggested at well over 100 miles to the gallon though, with no exact figure given.

Due to the mechanical simplification we do notice two specific drops. The first being in price, and the second being in amenities. While I'm certain most VW drivers won't lament the loss of cupholders with the drop in price, the base model of this new design does not include air conditioning or power steering. Yea, the power steering can be a deal breaker, especially with the intended use of this vehicle: city driving ( Initially. A more powerful drive-train is in the works to allow speeds more appropriate for highway travel and long distance efficiency.) While the lack of power-steering may look bad on paper, VW engineers assure us that the car actually "turns like a bicycle" in feeling, obviously not in body motion. They say that this is actually due to the weight reduction and simplified mechanics of the new steering rack.

Now what about the air conditioning you're thinking. That's where the new aerodynamics come into play. Due to certain tweaking in shaping causing an obvious change in airflow, the engineers claim that when you're moving you feel the wind as if "the doors aren't even there". Quite an amazing feat if it's true. Furthermore, due to the aero changes side and rear visibility is now unobstructed and truly unparalleled by competitors vehicles.

Finally, a photo and a bit of background. The photo and the story (albeit I changed it a bit to make the English more understandable) were passed to me via a contact in Brazil. He's a photographer there, and was asked by VW to document the progress of this new vehicle. So, without further adieu, gentlemen feast your eyes on the new, most reliable Volkswagen ever...

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Perfect fal, perfect. This forum is really turning against VW's. I see bad things in this forums future "foreign policy". :laugh:

·
Bearderator
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bah! Every car make has it's defects. Try and find a Honda that doesn't rust. Go ahead, I dare ya! :p

Besides some of my friends have VWs, I poke fun at them all the time and they laugh along. You and I both know the only VW owners who'd take offense to this are the ones with their heads up their own asses.

·
Registered
732 Posts
vdubs are a bitch to have. but they can be fun cars. its all about maintenance with these cars and many other cars. the prices for parts are not cheap lol

·
Registered
941 Posts
lol i read the whole thing too b4 i seen the pic haha im not into vdubs that much my friend nearly died in a vr6 jetta running from the popo

·
Bearderator
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I call shenanigans pIERCE! I'ma find a spec of rust on your car and then won't you be cross!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I even scrolled down a little to see if there was a pic b4 reading but not far enough i guess

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's pretty funny. I have actually owned a few VW's over the years, and every single one of them never left me stranded. Neither have any of my Honda's, but all of us know who makes the better car overall. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts