Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone. I bought my daughter this incredibile little car that had been single owner less than 1000K was put in storage proper for 7 yrs. All records kept etc. MINT condition. She's a automatic SI. All wheel drive is not on it. So we have changed the oil/fluids/filters 2 times since we woke her up. New CA exhaust/cat. I drive it to and from work to shake it down and see what needs to be done before I drive it to CA to hand over to our daughter. Drive will be from WA to CA Santa Monaca. I have no idea how to or when to use the Sport mode. Is there a Prelude Club in or near Santa Monaca? She will need help and support. PLEASE anyone.

·
Registered
241 Posts
WTF, 1 MILLION Miles?? Isnt that a record Guys? LOL! As Sean will tell you, because of lack of parts he wont suggest it to be a daily driver, but from what I have read, once you get everything up to snuff, they are 1 of the MOST RELIABLE cars ever to be produced, right up there with the air cooled VW Beetle, its just when they do need help, parts arent that EZ to find. Wheels Magazine 1987 Car of the year. The 4WS steering version even beat that years Porsche on the Skid pad test. Since my Accord decided to die, my Prelude has been my primary ride for the last 4 months.

Use the S4 button when you want to drive some twisties

In 1987, Road & Track published a test summary that shows the 1988 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4WS outperforming every car of that year on the slalom, with a speed of 65.5 mph (105.4 km/h), even besting exotics such as Porsche and Ferrari. For reference, the 1988 Chevrolet Corvette C4 took the same course at 64.9 mph (104.4 km/h).
The Prelude was Wheels magazine's Car of the Year for 1987.

·
Registered
47 Posts
WTF, 1 MILLION Miles?? Isnt that a record Guys? LOL! As Sean will tell you, because of lack of parts he wont suggest it to be a daily driver, but from what I have read, once you get everything up to snuff, they are 1 of the MOST RELIABLE cars ever to be produced, right up there with the air cooled VW Beetle, its just when they do need help, parts arent that EZ to find. Wheels Magazine 1987 Car of the year. The 4WS steering version even beat that years Porsche on the Skid pad test. Since my Accord decided to die, my Prelude has been my primary ride for the last 4 months.

Use the S4 button when you want to drive some twisties
Let's be fair now. He did say LESS than a million miles. :)

·
3rd Gener
452 Posts
I think he meant less than 100k...

Yes there is a So-Cal Prelude club. I have not been in 4(?) years myself. They are mostly 4th and 5th gens. I am up the PCH in Ventura, CA. My '89 only comes out on the sunniest of days and then I usually only go out to the Mountains with it anymore. I just transferred everything from my previous body (rusted out, was a VA car) to my current body. Everything includes: motor, full interior, full suspension, EDM center tail (has the euro rear fogs)(still need to wire this back up), the exhaust is the stock exhaust that was on the new (to me) body as mine was a 48 state non-carb on the previous body. I have owned a 3rd gen since 2001, this one is my 5th (2 88's, 2 89's, and 1 91). Only 1 has gone to the crusher, the for mentioned rust bucket.

Don't see many 3rd gens running around anymore. Will be nice to see another from time to time.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Yes there is a So-Cal Prelude club. I have not been in 4(?) years myself. They are mostly 4th and 5th gens. I am up the PCH in Ventura, CA. My '89 only comes out on the sunniest of days and then I usually only go out to the Mountains with it anymore. I just transferred everything from my previous body (rusted out, was a VA car) to my current body. Everything includes: motor, full interior, full suspension, EDM center tail (has the euro rear fogs)(still need to wire this back up), the exhaust is the stock exhaust that was on the new (to me) body as mine was a 48 state non-carb on the previous body. I have owned a 3rd gen since 2001, this one is my 5th (2 88's, 2 89's, and 1 91). Only 1 has gone to the crusher, the for mentioned rust bucket.

Don't see many 3rd gens running around anymore. Will be nice to see another from time to time.
I still drive my '89 Prelude Si (450K+). I had the engine rebuilt around 430K and all else is good. Around '94 I had some ball joint and related problems. After the mechanic fixed them he advised me to just walk away from the car. I didn't see the logic of THAT and here I am 15 years later. I love keeping that beauty going and every month after about '94 I've relished the lack of a car payment. 26 years and no car payment. Life is full!

·
3rd Gener
452 Posts
I still drive my '89 Prelude Si (450K+). I had the engine rebuilt around 430K and all else is good. Around '94 I had some ball joint and related problems. After the mechanic fixed them he advised me to just walk away from the car. I didn't see the logic of THAT and here I am 15 years later. I love keeping that beauty going and every month after about '94 I've relished the lack of a car payment. 26 years and no car payment. Life is full!
Oh I don't drive mine cause it is un-reliable... Like 1funryd, I don't want to loose my car to some other idiot on the road. I enjoy driving mine every time I take it out. The wifes '17 sits out in the drive so the Lude can sit in the garage. :p

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hello, everyone. I bought my daughter this incredibile little car that had been single owner less than 1000K was put in storage proper for 7 yrs. All records kept etc. MINT condition. She's a automatic SI. All wheel drive is not on it. So we have changed the oil/fluids/filters 2 times since we woke her up. New CA exhaust/cat. I drive it to and from work to shake it down and see what needs to be done before I drive it to CA to hand over to our daughter. Drive will be from WA to CA Santa Monaca. I have no idea how to or when to use the Sport mode. Is there a Prelude Club in or near Santa Monaca? She will need help and support. PLEASE anyone.

yes, less than 100k miles I think he meant, or he paid less than $1000 for it ! I also daily drive an 89 Prelude 3rd gen and it is my 5th prelude and 4th color; sun faded blue! I also have a black V-Tech 97 with 1/4 M miles on it that i would like to unload. Runs great, standard with all new clutch & PP & FW package done before I parked it 3 years ago. Don't like driving it, don't like the dash, interior layout, etc. I'll take the older 83-89 series anyday over the newer ones. They ruined the design as they got newer in my opinion. Rust is already trying to take this one away from me but at 185,600 miles it is only 1/2 used up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello Everyone and thank you for the replies. My daily driver is my Delorean with a Stage 2 , thus the DMC.LoveThemLumpyGirls email address. Sorry about the mileage typo.It has less than one thousand miles. But Sadly I do not feel this wonderful little car is what my daughter needs in CA. She is not a person who drives often or with confidence.I have gone over it complete, fluid change twice,new exhaust from front to back,battery,cap/rotor/plugs/alignment all the way around etc,
I drive it daily to sort it proper, and it has been. But have decided to put it up for sale, and yes I did figure out how to use the sport mod. It's no DeLorean, but fun enough. If any one knows were the best place to put it up for sale for the proper buyer please let me know. Otherwise all I know to do is put it on CA CraigsList or Ebay.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hello Everyone and thank you for the replies. My daily driver is my Delorean with a Stage 2 , thus the DMC.LoveThemLumpyGirls email address. Sorry about the mileage typo.It has less than one thousand miles. But Sadly I do not feel this wonderful little car is what my daughter needs in CA. She is not a person who drives often or with confidence.I have gone over it complete, fluid change twice,new exhaust from front to back,battery,cap/rotor/plugs/alignment all the way around etc,
I drive it daily to sort it proper, and it has been. But have decided to put it up for sale, and yes I did figure out how to use the sport mod. It's no DeLorean, but fun enough. If any one knows were the best place to put it up for sale for the proper buyer please let me know. Otherwise all I know to do is put it on CA CraigsList or Ebay.
Ok OK, now you mean less then ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND MILES??? If not, u have the FIND of the Century.... A 30 year old Prelude with > 1000 miles on the odometer...😳🤣🤣😊

·
Registered
60 Posts
100, 1000, 100k, or 1000k, the condition looks very good. Since your daily is Marty McFly’s car, why not just keep another classic car for preservation purposes? The Prelude, in my opinion, isn’t going to appreciate like certain other Hondas.
I literally didn’t believe your daily driver until I saw the picture. And you have more than one too.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
That's a great pic with the Deloreans in the background. Is that one under the blue tarp too? Looks to have similar body lines. Anyway, finding a 3rd gen Prelude with under 1k miles on it was a great find. But because of the low mileage, there could be other issues that you wouldn't have with a car that was driven 100k miles in that same 30 years. I would not drive it again until you replace the timing belt at the very least. 30 year old rubber tends to turn hard and brittle. You wouldn't want to have to deal with the aftermath of that breaking. Is the car in CA now, or still in WA?

Ok OK, now you mean less then ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND MILES??? If not, u have the FIND of the Century.... A 30 year old Prelude with > 1000 miles on the odometer...😳🤣🤣😊
It's not a great pic, but in looking at that car I would tend to believe it could have that few of miles. All the trim you can see in the pic is still black. It even has what appears to be a factory lip. I'd love to have that 3rd gen, even though it's an auto.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Well, he has YET to confirm the CORRECT mileage.... 1st its less then 1 million miles, then its less then 1000 mles..... WTF is the mileage?? Is it that hard?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts