Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I just bought a 91 Prelude Si. It has 112k miles and I payed around $2500 for it. It is not perfect, but it runs, has A/C, new tranny and a CD player which is more than I can say for my last car. I will be asking lots of questions. The car is mainly stock except for some lowering springs and tint. Maybe I will post pics up later.

First things first is my power steering fluid is leaking like crazy. I wonder how much this will cost. Also the dipstick is missing. I heard that costs $40 from the factory. Any ideas. Other than that it runs great. See ya around the forum...

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Search for the power steering things...and just look for a junkyard lude with a dip stick...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Missing dipstick sounds awfully fishy to me. Get one ASAP! The engine in that car may not have seen 4 quarts of oil in a LONG time, and as such could be eating itself alive :/

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How do I find the source of my leak? There is fluid on TOP of the power steering resevoir cap!

alanoneil said:
Missing dipstick sounds awfully fishy to me. Get one ASAP! The engine in that car may not have seen 4 quarts of oil in a LONG time, and as such could be eating itself alive :/
Why would that be fishy? I will pick on up asap...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'd say, wipe down the whole area 'til it's dry. Then start the car while the hood's open. Get a friend to stare at that area (wear eye protection) while you give the steering a couple cranks.

Why would that be fishy?
Because the B21A1 engine in the 90-91 Prelude Si (search for more info) likes to burn oil like a mofo after 100k miles, give or take depending on how often oil changes were done it its life. This tells me that either the previous owner didn't know this and didn't care, or he DID know this and stole the dipstick so you wouldn't find out that your car may eat a quart of oil going to the grocery store. Either way, there's probably less than 4qt of lifeblood in the crankcase right now.

Get a stick, change your oil, and check the level every day. You do not want to be another rod-knock statistic.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
1991SI said:
What are those 2 things in front of your e-brake?
Tweeters.

Thanks for the info on the dipstick. He said it has been a month since the oil has been changed. I will look into getting a dipstick.

alanoneil said:
I'd say, wipe down the whole area 'til it's dry. Then start the car while the hood's open. Get a friend to stare at that area (wear eye protection) while you give the steering a couple cranks.

Because the B21A1 engine in the 90-91 Prelude Si (search for more info) likes to burn oil like a mofo after 100k miles, give or take depending on how often oil changes were done it its life. This tells me that either the previous owner didn't know this and didn't care, or he DID know this and stole the dipstick so you wouldn't find out that your car may eat a quart of oil going to the grocery store. Either way, there's probably less than 4qt of lifeblood in the crankcase right now.

Get a stick, change your oil, and check the level every day. You do not want to be another rod-knock statistic.
BTW, it is a 2.0. What is the difference between a 2.0 and 2.1 as far as HP etc? Also, is mine a VTEC?

·
Registered
159 Posts
wow that is clean, nice pick
looks like mine but i have black trim and black painted "ground effects" i guess you would call them
i got the same problem with the powersteering, i havent figured it out yet, it just seems like it is shooting out the top, its all over my hood

·
Registered
780 Posts
another whitelude.. welcome..

just dont' forget to check your oil dip stick.. everytime you fill up your tank..:)

otherwise.. your b21a will go kaboom...:wzbigcry:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
ChiroLude said:
BTW, it is a 2.0. What is the difference between a 2.0 and 2.1 as far as HP etc? Also, is mine a VTEC?
Well if it's a 2.0 why didn't you say so in the first place? You may be in luck, because the 2.0Si model had the B20A5 (you really should know the engine code of your own car, search for where to find it). This engine doesn't usually develop the insane burning problem unless it was seriously abused, so hopefully you've got a decent previous owner. But it's still imperative to check often!

There is a slight power/torque difference between the B20A5 and B21A1. Exact specs are around here somewhere, but the major consensus between B20A5 drivers is that you're not missing much, while B21A1 zealots will tell you that it's worth the oil burn for the extra 7 ft-lbs on a 16-year-old tired engine that could probably get 20 HP out of a simple tune-up :)

No, your engine is not VTEC. It is a plain and simple DOHC 2.0L motor (well, actually 1958cc, but whatever) that has great potential and can still kick the pants off of lightly modified single-cam VTEC riceburner Civics out there. But have no fear, if you're really achin' for the bacon, there is a good engine swap available to us (given hours of work and lots of parts cost), the beloved H22A! (search!)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The car is in decent shape. The main cosmetic problems are the hood and trunk as they have hail damage. Besides that, the car is pretty clean for it's age. I especially think the interior is rather clean. I just ordered myself a set of Polk db 650s for the front because the stock speakers are blown. There is a cheap JBL CD player already in the car and some cheap Pioneer speakers in the back. If these polks end up as good as people say they are, I might just order another pair for the rear! First things first, I need to get my power steering back and my car has developed a bouncing idle...

BTW, as you can see in the pictures, the wheels have been painted white (some of the paint is cracked/peeling). Is there a way to take that off and return it to the stock polished aluminum look? Or should I just repaint them black or something???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts