Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would give this a shot due to covid-19 and not being able to get to my tools at work. I bought a non-running prelude about a week back. Today after reconnecting everything that the previous owner had disconnected, got it running by feathering the throttle. Sat above 1000 rpm surging between 1200-1500 rpm. Left it running for about 10 min and after it started to bring temp up it leveled out, did not seem to be missing at all no odd noises. Gave it a few small depresses on the accelerator pedal and it died out. Now when I go to start it I get a back fire and wont start it does try though. Has headers, exhaust, intake, glow gauges on the dash which are not hooked up. Plan is to do a tune up on it because of not knowing the history. Not sure if there are any items that could be causing this other than the basics that I am going to replace (plugs, wires, cap and rotor). If it helps from Canada so temps dip not to low at this time of year. Sorry if there is a thread with this in it already I searched my general issues and could not find anything. Its a 2000 Prelude 260xxx Kms/ 161xxx Miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Surging is an indicator of a vacuum leak, or dirty IACV. Why was it not running before?
No idea, guy who had it before me only drove it for a couple hours max before it started up any scan tool is at work seemed but that would actually make alot of sense as when I feathered the throttle it did fire up cold. I'll pull it of and clean it after getting everything else done this week and give it scan.

·
Registered
15 Posts
if you rev the throttle on mine it usally dies or runs very low and recovers(but id good runner otherwise and doesnt die in city driving) but it does sound like you have problems.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts