Honda Prelude Forum banner

9041 - 9059 of 9059 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,715 Posts
ive been working on my 1990si that i saved from people that didnt love it. It was a complete electrical mess, still kind of is. i bought a broken 1989si that i could take parts from. i took the wiring harness from the 89 n threw it in the 90 as the one in the 90 was cut up and thrashed by previous owners. i was wondering what vss comes in the 1990 prelude si or would i now need to convert to a different vss of some kind?
What wiring harness are you referring too? The engine harness or the interior harness??
The 90Si B20a5 uses the same VSS as the 91Si, so its a mechanical/electrical hybrid VSS.
Picture below - 1990-91

The 88-89 both use purely mechanical VSS.
Picture below - 1988-89:

·
Registered
3 Posts
What wiring harness are you referring too? The engine harness or the interior harness??
The 90Si B20a5 uses the same VSS as the 91Si, so its a mechanical/electrical hybrid VSS.
Picture below - 1990-91
View attachment 27109

The 88-89 both use purely mechanical VSS.
Picture below - 1988-89:
View attachment 27108
Engine harness sorry. Also where would i even find the 90 - 91 vss ive looked at my local LKQs. No luck. Anyways for now i have to put the prelude on hold as it keeps overheating and i dont have the time right now to mess with it like i want too. Thank you for responding ive been looking at your shop alot ever since i got my 90s lude.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am not exactly a noob to the board - I've been on here multiple times just not recently (since before the makeover - very nice, btw)... but I've searched the board and can't see anything relating to my problem which is...

I've got a 1989 4WS SI and the connecting pipe for the water pump to the thermostat housing rusted out and I dropped all my coolant. Anyway - the part (19505-pk2-660 or 19505-pk2-750) is discontinued and I can't find it anywhere. Any ideas on where I can get one or if there's a way to manufacture it somehow? The car is dead in the water until I find an answer. This happened to one of my other Preludes, so it has to be a fairly common issue.

Anyway - any help would be greatly appreciated. And thanks to whoever runs the board - I've found a lot of answers in the past here - this is a valuable resource for us Prelude folks!

·
Premium Member
16,715 Posts
I am not exactly a noob to the board - I've been on here multiple times just not recently (since before the makeover - very nice, btw)... but I've searched the board and can't see anything relating to my problem which is...

I've got a 1989 4WS SI and the connecting pipe for the water pump to the thermostat housing rusted out and I dropped all my coolant. Anyway - the part (19505-pk2-660 or 19505-pk2-750) is discontinued and I can't find it anywhere. Any ideas on where I can get one or if there's a way to manufacture it somehow? The car is dead in the water until I find an answer. This happened to one of my other Preludes, so it has to be a fairly common issue.

Anyway - any help would be greatly appreciated. And thanks to whoever runs the board - I've found a lot of answers in the past here - this is a valuable resource for us Prelude folks!
Your only option is to have the existing pipe repaired, there is no other options.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Need some info for what size tires and wheels people were running on their 3rd gens. I wanted to go with a 16 just don't know how wide i can go and what offset.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i got my 89 awhile ago and have put about 2k miles on it figuring it out and familiarizing with it. I have so, so many questions. i almost feel like making a progress thread where i can dump all of this but i dont know, forum ettiquet always confused the hell out of me, i much prefer imageboards. anyways here we go.

1. i need a replacement ac knob for my dash, old one broke apparently not for the first time since it was clearly glued together. ill measure one and try my hand at making a 3d printable model for it once i get the part.

2. i could also use the 3d model for the mirror cover, im missing that too and want to try color matching the printer fillament. if anyone here has it that would be awesome if you could share the file.

3. i would love to go through and replace every line, hose, and cable on the car, but im new to this and dont know what i should even look for let alone what im doing. pls help.
on that note i see in some threads you guys saying "there are no aftermarket replacements for X tube" or something to that effect, and im always curious why theres not a generic part that could be modified to fit. seems to me a radiator hose is a radiator hose etc, but im new to this.

4. i would also love some new fancy brake pads (akebono maybe), but i dont trust the automatic parts picker on most parts websites, if i could get a code or number or something that would be ? (new rotors too)

5. i can almost gurantee the 4ws on my car was added by a previous owner, i would love to find out what other options were added to it after the fact by them (i have fog lights for example, not sure if my car began life with them however). is there a way to check what was factory and what was tacked on later?

6. any suggestions for "premium" fluids in places benefits could be derived is a plus, i plan to flush every liquid in the car that can be flushed just so i know the intervals for replacement. same goes for belts or really anything else that may need to be replaced at somewhat regular intervals.

7. no matter how hard i yank on the seatbelt, it doesnt lock or ratchet, i swapped the coils thinking that would fix it but nope. suggestions and solutions welcome.

there are quite a few other things id like to address, like the non-functioning ac, lack of floor mat anchor points, power window motors bogging down (but working!), cassette player usually not accepting tapes, my desire to pick up some original rims instead of the aftermarkets ive got now, and quite a few other things im forgetting as i type, but ill focus on those later.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
linksgard2, regarding #7--I believe there was a factory recall on the seat belt retractors. I don't know if it's still in effect because I've never dealt with recalled parts, but it's probably worth a look.

I was going to recommend a part number for the brake pads, but then I realized I'm using '94 VTEC calipers and rotors. However, just know that this brake swap is a viable option and is pretty easy to perform. With the swap I'm able to run Hawk HP+ pads, which are awesome.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm taking the initiative, hopefully this will end up being stickied, so that I can be immortalized in my glory for such a brilliant idea.

So here you go...if you're new to preludepower, or if you're too stupid and lazy to use the valuable search tool, or if you tried searching and you're afraid of getting yelled at for making a new thread, then ask your question here. Almost every question a noob has to ask has been covered before, so instead of having 7 thousand threads a day that the mods have to lock after 2 replies...ask here...we'll try to go easy on you.

To help keep this from being a clusterfuck, if you're answering a question, please quote the question in your reply....if that makes any sense.
Does anyone know if coil springs for a '91 si 4ws are available or if any other models are compatible?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there I haven't been on here in ages but some may know me as 91JDMsi I have my 91 lude up for sale H22 swapped boosted 501 whp near mint body besides the candy red fading lol but I'm asking 5k obo no trades If interested you can call me at 865-599-9346 thanks Dustin

·
Premium Member
16,715 Posts
Does anyone know if coil springs for a '91 si 4ws are available or if any other models are compatible?
There are other coils that can be used but why not just use what is already produced specifically for 3rd gens?

- BG / B&G S2 Lowering Springs - Honda Prelude 88-91 | eBay

- H&R 88-91 Honda Prelude Sport Spring incl AWS | eBay

But if you want the best bang for your dollar then just talk to me about getting you into a new set of Ksport Kontrol Pro's with lowering, damper control made specific to our chassis.

Email me at: [email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I've got a Prelude with a B20A5 and I'm in the process of replacing all the old coolant hoses. While pulling one of the hoses off the inlet pipe, the barb on the inlet pipe that the hose was attached to popped clean off with it! It was the one for the roughly 1/2" hose that goes into a T joint, then to the thermostat housing with the smaller hose to the intake manifold. I'm planning on bypassing the intake manifold, so my question is; will this hose between the inlet pipe and the thermostat housing still be necessary with the intake manifold bypassed? If possible I'd rather just weld a patch over the hole on the inlet pipe.

·
Premium Member
16,715 Posts
Hey, I've got a Prelude with a B20A5 and I'm in the process of replacing all the old coolant hoses. While pulling one of the hoses off the inlet pipe, the barb on the inlet pipe that the hose was attached to popped clean off with it! It was the one for the roughly 1/2" hose that goes into a T joint, then to the thermostat housing with the smaller hose to the intake manifold. I'm planning on bypassing the intake manifold, so my question is; will this hose between the inlet pipe and the thermostat housing still be necessary with the intake manifold bypassed? If possible I'd rather just weld a patch over the hole on the inlet pipe.
Upload pics please to give us a better perspective. This is the internet and some of us have forgotten more than others remember.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Okay so i’ve been looking at coilovers for a 1990 SR and i saw the megan racing coils but i wanna know if anyone has them? What are they like? Good bad? Pros? Cons? Any help would be great. If they’re trash i’ll just go with Ksports.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm taking the initiative, hopefully this will end up being stickied, so that I can be immortalized in my glory for such a brilliant idea.

So here you go...if you're new to preludepower, or if you're too stupid and lazy to use the valuable search tool, or if you tried searching and you're afraid of getting yelled at for making a new thread, then ask your question here. Almost every question a noob has to ask has been covered before, so instead of having 7 thousand threads a day that the mods have to lock after 2 replies...ask here...we'll try to go easy on you.

To help keep this from being a clusterfuck, if you're answering a question, please quote the question in your reply....if that makes any sense.
Trying to find a source for a timing belt cover on a 91 2.05si. I know nothing of using these sites but I have posted with no responses to this point so I must be doing something wrong? I would love to have some help.

·
Premium Member
16,715 Posts
Okay so i’ve been looking at coilovers for a 1990 SR and i saw the megan racing coils but i wanna know if anyone has them? What are they like? Good bad? Pros? Cons? Any help would be great. If they’re trash i’ll just go with Ksports.
They are fine.

I personally prefer Ksports.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
Trying to find a source for a timing belt cover on a 91 2.05si. I know nothing of using these sites but I have posted with no responses to this point so I must be doing something wrong? I would love to have some help.
I might have one but I'm not sure. I have a lot of parts I need to go through now that I don't own a 3rd gen anymore. I'll try to remember to look when I go home tonight.

Assuming you live in Idaho judging by your username. Where in Idaho?

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have a 1990 honda prelude si a very beautiful car anyways i need help finding out what engines will bolt in and fit in my prelude because the last guy blew the b21a1 motor please help me soon thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello friends, I need to replace the oil pump of my prelude 89, what can I do? Where do I buy it or is the question that another oil pump works on my b20a5?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone! I finally made it back! My 4ws got stollen from the front of my house a few years ago and smacked into a curb during a pursuit. The guy got away on foot... so I show up to where they were and try to drive it away, not happening. So I talk the cops into letting me come pick it up the next day with my own trailer rather than a tow. So the thief comes back, steals it again and takes it to his house where he was then busted and I had to deal with getting my baby out of a covered parking stall at an apartment. It’s been sitting for a number of years :( but I’m about ready to get her back on the road. I’ve got a CB strut tower bar, the bracket looks like it may be a little bent, gotta check that in greater detail, but the lower control arm and crossmember are bent and blown out at mounting location. I’m hoping the 4ws gears and shaft aren’t bent. Anyway I haven’t looked around the site much but I’m sure there’s still a parts thread or something like that. I’m glad to rejoin yalls!!

9041 - 9059 of 9059 Posts