Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 9056 Posts

·
Cunninglinguist
8,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm taking the initiative, hopefully this will end up being stickied, so that I can be immortalized in my glory for such a brilliant idea.

So here you go...if you're new to preludepower, or if you're too stupid and lazy to use the valuable search tool, or if you tried searching and you're afraid of getting yelled at for making a new thread, then ask your question here. Almost every question a noob has to ask has been covered before, so instead of having 7 thousand threads a day that the mods have to lock after 2 replies...ask here...we'll *try* to go easy on you.

To help keep this from being a clusterfuck, if you're answering a question, please quote the question in your reply....if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I'm taking the initiative, hopefully this will end up being stickied, so that I can be immortalized in my glory for such a brilliant idea.

So here you go...if you're new to preludepower, or if you're too stupid and lazy to use the valuable search tool, or if you tried searching and you're afraid of getting yelled at for making a new thread, then ask your question here. Almost every question a noob has to ask has been covered before, so instead of having 7 thousand threads a day that the mods have to lock after 2 replies...ask here...we'll *try* to go easy on you.

To help keep this from being a clusterfuck, if you're answering a question, please quote the question in your reply....if that makes any sense.
could you point me in the direction of a radiator replacement write up for a 89 2.0si (stock)

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
look in the third gen stickies at the downloadable copy of the manual for the car. it will tell you step by step what to do. or you can go to 1funryd's page and download it from there, or you could go to prelude3g.com and download it there too.

·
Cunninglinguist
8,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
could you point me in the direction of a radiator replacement write up for a 89 2.0si (stock)

radiator is pretty easy, you just drain the coolant into a catch (take the coolant for proper disposal) then disconnect the fans and the fan switch at the bottom of the radiator, take off the hoses, detach the ac hoses from the fans, unbolt the bar across the top and it should slide up.

the radiator comes out with the two fans mounted on it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
boost

Well first of all Im Russ from okc, ok.. Im new to the site but ive had several 3rd gens... at the current time I have an 89 si 4ws, that is currently on blocks.. lol Im doing a full suspension and brake rebuild... So the car is completely undrivable. I have 95% of the parts i need to rebuild just no time. I have been thinkin about turbocharging.... while its down...

heres my ????????

is there any way to achieve 300 hp with a JDM b20a TURBO SETUP???
Without resleaving or rebuilding? What would be the best turbo to use to achieve high hp on the b20a... I am aware of the obd1 swap that has to occur as well as compatible ecu's, and about 450cc dsm injectors..just not the size, spooling and whatnot.... Any help would be awesome

thanx

·
Premium Member
16,601 Posts
Well first of all Im Russ from okc, ok.. Im new to the site but ive had several 3rd gens... at the current time I have an 89 si 4ws, that is currently on blocks.. lol Im doing a full suspension and brake rebuild... So the car is completely undrivable. I have 95% of the parts i need to rebuild just no time. I have been thinkin about turbocharging.... while its down...

heres my ????????

is there any way to achieve 300 hp with a JDM b20a TURBO SETUP???
Without resleaving or rebuilding? What would be the best turbo to use to achieve high hp on the b20a... I am aware of the obd1 swap that has to occur as well as compatible ecu's, and about 450cc dsm injectors..just not the size, spooling and whatnot.... Any help would be awesome

thanx

read here: Sticky: OBD1 Conversion for Tuning and Fuel Management (
1 2)
1funryd

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
msd

I also found a brand new msd 6al ignition system for 200 would i be able to use this on my 89 3g????

·
Cunninglinguist
8,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does lsd Still make the manifold and downpipe??? and if i use the dsm t-25 what hp range would i be in roughly??
I have a 14b turbo and manifold with downpipe made by Gladman. The welds are really messy but if you cleaned it up it could pass for a decent manifold. I could let it all go for pretty cheap if you're interested.

I don't know if LSD makes them anymore...email Mike at [email protected] and tell him Devin sent you. The LSD manifolds I've seen are actually VERY well done and absolutely beautiful. They do good work.

as for the no sleeve and no pistons...I wouldn't if I were you, but I'm not you...and I don't have spare blocks just sitting around to throw in all willy-nilly. Well, I have ONE block, but I wouldn't use it without building it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a 14b turbo and manifold with downpipe made by Gladman. The welds are really messy but if you cleaned it up it could pass for a decent manifold. I could let it all go for pretty cheap if you're interested.

I don't know if LSD makes them anymore...email Mike at [email protected] and tell him Devin sent you. The LSD manifolds I've seen are actually VERY well done and absolutely beautiful. They do good work.

as for the no sleeve and no pistons...I wouldn't if I were you, but I'm not you...and I don't have spare blocks just sitting around to throw in all willy-nilly. Well, I have ONE block, but I wouldn't use it without building it.

sweet sweet What do ya want for it all???? If tuned right what would the hp gains be??? also ive heard jdm b20a's handled boost well... is this correct

·
Cunninglinguist
8,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, PM me when you get a couple bills together, we'll talk more then. You'll need at least that much to buy an LSD manifold anyway.

I'd take pics for you but I can't find the fucking battery charger for my camera. If I ever find it...I'll get some pics over to you. The turbo is in pretty good shape, I've never used it, but there's no shaft play.

·
Premium Member
16,601 Posts
Does lsd Still make the manifold and downpipe??? and if i use the dsm t-25 what hp range would i be in roughly??
Mike Succar is who you are looking for, and as of last conversation which was about a year ago, he told me that LSDMotorsports was going a different route and getting out of the fabrication field.

They sell parts that are already mass produced or that they still have jigs for. But do what Devin said and contact him first.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I bought my manifold from pp member super soviet soldier. He has a few more last time I checked.

·
Cunninglinguist
8,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, For now LSD is still selling already produced parts. They may or may not get back into fabrications...it's just that Mike is basically running EVERYTHING, and he's only one man and can only do so much.

LSD Motorsports is going to be doing some great things in the upcoming year or so...lots of expansion, so don't count them out altogether. They've already branched out into selling wheels and tires, I'll most likely start buying all my tires from LSD once they start running out.

If only they did motorcycles....

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
me again...so i replaced the radiator & all is well.

but whenever i drive on the highway like 55-65mph, it feels like my engine is straining itself to pull even that off & the rpms are really high. is there any way to i guess lower the rpms at higher speeds? if that makes sense...other than swapping the engine & transmission

'89 si

·
Me+you+your friend=fun
1,547 Posts

but whenever i drive on the highway like 55-65mph, it feels like my engine is straining itself to pull even that off & the rpms are really high. is there any way to i guess lower the rpms at higher speeds? if that makes sense...other than swapping the engine & transmission

'89 si
Yes you can get a accord 5th gear but that requires taking your tranny apart and taking your old 5th gear out and putting that accord one in.

If thats something you want to look into than search it.

·
Premium Member
9,113 Posts

'89 si
How hir are your rpms? You should be turning the engine a little more than 3k rpms at 60 mph in 5th gear, (d2j3 or d2j5 transmission). This is normal for these cars.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
How hir are your rpms? You should be turning the engine a little more than 3k rpms at 60 mph in 5th gear, (d2j3 or d2j5 transmission). This is normal for these cars.
yea i figured it was normal...just not ideal i guess. i read somewhere that either the 4th or 5th gen can do 100mph in fourth gear before shifting to fifth no problem...jealous

i guess i should just start saving for my h22/23 swap, i'll need it eventually anyway seeing as how i'm running around with 178k miles :nervous:

·
Premium Member
9,113 Posts
yea i figured it was normal...just not ideal i guess. i read somewhere that either the 4th or 5th gen can do 100mph in fourth gear before shifting to fifth no problem...jealous

i guess i should just start saving for my h22/23 swap, i'll need it eventually anyway seeing as how i'm running around with 178k miles :nervous:
178k is nothing on these engines. The majority of 3rd gens I see in junkyards have well over 225k miles on them, and many are there because of collision damage. As long as you properly maintain it, the b20a5 should easily go 250k+ miles. From what everyone says about the b21a1, it will most likely not go that far. But I have no experience with that engine.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
178k is nothing on these engines. The majority of 3rd gens I see in junkyards have well over 225k miles on them, and many are there because of collision damage. As long as you properly maintain it, the b20a5 should easily go 250k+ miles. From what everyone says about the b21a1, it will most likely not go that far. But I have no experience with that engine.
yea i know i didn't say soon, just eventually

1 - 20 of 9056 Posts