Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to rebuild my motor, it has 170000 miles on it but it runs rather well. Regardless, I would feel much better knowing the motor was rebuilt as further future plans may involve supercharging with ~6psi, just enough Boost to have some fun-but thats irrelivant here. I just want to know from a build/rebuild standpoint.

Pistons- Do I go with forged pistons, rods and sleevs or stay with the stock pistons and get new rings? Basically I just want 100% compression.

Bearings- New bearings for the crank and rods?

Seals/Gaskets- I'd replace the head gaskets, cam cover gasket, oil pan gasket...what other gaskets/seals would be worth getting while the motor is torn down?

Oil Pump- Replace, leave alone, or high performance(if it exists)?

Water pump and Timing belt- Get those while I'm in there?

Head- Port and Polish? Performance valvetrain (valves, springs, retainers, etc)?

What else down low or up top would it benefit me in the long run to replace? I'M NOT LOOKING SO MUCH FOR POWER HERE, I'M JUST LOOKING TO STRENGTHEN THE MOTOR A LITTLE SO I DON'T NEED TO WORRY ABOUT BENDING A ROD, BLOWING A HEADGASKET, RUNNING INTO SEVERE LEAKAGE OF SOME SORT, ETC. I WANT THIS REBUILD TO BE A STARTING POINT FOR FUTURE MODIFICATIONS, BOLT ON, NA OR FI.

-JB

·
Registered
541 Posts
ide say if your only gonna be pushing 6 psi....use stock replacment stuff...only thing i used on my car that was a little dif..was chromemolly rings...there harder to seat..but they take the stress a lil better when you beat up on the motor...i used felpro head gasket, i reused my oil pan gasket caus it was 80$ and special order from like japan or some shit...dealer item only..i replaced my fuel pump, oil pump, water pump...and all that good stuff...rod bearings and main bearings...then i used a stage 2 clutch...and its a pretty stout set up... only thing i can see being a problem for high revs is your valve springs and retainers...along with a stock cam... so be prepaired to dish out some serious cash..

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
always prepared for that!

Honda_Quaalude86 said:
chromemolly rings...there harder to seat..but they take the stress a lil better when you beat up on the motor
This a DIY thing? I'm somewhat mechanically inclined and if it doesn't require any high-tech special expensive tools, I could probably do it. Just curious if its better to have this done for you or not.

If I choose to go with new performance pistons such as some higher compression or whatnot, is it mandatory to have the block sleeved? Or are they the same diameter as the stock pistons?

-JB

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bump...please...help...me...:unclesam:

·
Registered
65 Posts
h22? If it is you HAVE to sleeve it for new pistons. The stock FRP sleeves wont take anythint but stock pistons. I cant remember how it is with the h23.

·
bangin' gears
15,676 Posts
EX0 said:
h22? If it is you HAVE to sleeve it for new pistons. The stock FRP sleeves wont take anythint but stock pistons. I cant remember how it is with the h23.
not true. And its FRM.

Mahle and JUN forged pistons work with stock sleeves.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2.2L said:
not true. And its FRM.

Mahle and JUN forged pistons work with stock sleeves.
Would there be any real benefit to resleeving the cylinders if I go with MAHLE or JUN's? Realistically all I'm looking to do is build up N/A possibly with nitrous.

·
Registered
36 Posts
if u resleeve the block and get performance pistons...lower compression you can run more psi and have even more fun :Rock: . But yea thats what im gonna do in the future except im turbo charging not supercharging.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
if u resleeve the block and get performance pistons...lower compression you can run more psi and have even more fun :Rock: . But yea thats what im gonna do in the future except im turbo charging not supercharging.

im going to reword this so it is accurate.
if you resleeve the block, you can use forged pistons.
if you set it up for lower compression you can run more boost with lower octane, but you'll lose power out of boost. you can run high boost with any compression safely and reliably, just the higher the compression and/or the higher the boost, the higher the octane of fuel you need.
ie: you can run 12:1 compression with 20psi perfectly safely and reliably with a good tune and 110 octane race fuel

·
Registered
189 Posts
We'll b4 the rebuild your gona have to chose one, NA or FI. but for NA i would say go for the Type-s pistons.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We'll b4 the rebuild your gona have to chose one, NA or FI. but for NA i would say go for the Type-s pistons.

just supercharged

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Supercharged = forced induction = FI.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts