Honda Prelude Forum banner

new lude :) Help!

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  m_alvarado09 
#1 ·
I just got my 99 prelude about three weeks ago.
it's red with the leather package
114,xxx miles and nothing mechanically wrong
everything is completely stock
i got it through a trade in for my old VW Jetta so it was a hell of a deal if you ask me

but anyways about a week after I had gotten it
i was on the highway when all of a sudden it lost all power
i pulled over and found one of my spark plug wires had come loose
I replaced the spark plugs and spark plug wires with a set of NGKs

but after that incident I'm throwing code P0420, "below threshhold"
my guess is that the faulty spark plugs and spark plug wires weren't igniting the gas how they should've so the gas that wasn't ignited went down to the catalytic converter and burned there along with some of the converter...

so my thing is that I want to get a whole new exhaust system for it
I was looking at the Apexi WS2 catback along with some DC headers
but my question is
what kind of cat should i put in with that?
I found a website where I can get the stock cat for about $450
but that's a litttle pricey
or are there better cat options out there that offer less airflow restriction?
i dont want a test pipe or anything like that though...

Help!

See less See more
#4 ·
You can install a test pipe (cat eliminator) with the O2 sensor relocation chamber to really increase your air flow and avoid paying $450 for a new cat. This assumes that there is no emission testing where you live!

#5 ·
just get a universal carsound/magnaflow cat off ebay for like $60 then have a muffler shop weld on the flanges for you. By the way, dont get a DC header, you will gain almost nothing from it.

#8 · (Edited)
Ok Alvarado. You need to hit me up on the cell or just swing on by. I'll give you the run-down on everything you need to know. Plus, you'll get to see my pretty girl.

Disclaimer: This is a sincere invite. "Pretty girl" refers to my car. Any attempts at viewing my hot girlfriend will cost you.

#10 ·
Ok Alvarado. You need to hit me up on the cell or just swing on by. I'll give you the run-down on everything you need to know. Plus, you'll get to see my pretty girl.

Disclaimer: This is a sincere invite. "Pretty girl" refers to my car. Any attempts at viewing my hot girlfriend will cost you.
lol i live in tulsa man
and i just checked out the hytech headers on ebay
and it says beacuse of the long tube design
it'll remove the stock catalytic converter
so would it connect straight to the catback?
and would that trigger the CEL?
where can i find a test pipe with a relocation chamber?

#9 ·
thats what the relocation chamber does. gets rid of that p;roblem
and just cause you are getting that code doesnt mean the cat is bad...get ahold of a meter that can read live data and see whats kicking the code on. could be a simple o2 sensor. it could be the cat but it could also be something a lot cheaper

#11 ·
Just because you're getting a code thrown doesn't mean you should go blow a bunch on a new exhaust, but if that's what you were going to do in the first place, then whatever.

Have you resest the comp to see if it comes back? Try putting the old shit back on, see if it goes away, if it was just loose, I don't understand why replaced it, jsut put it back?

#13 ·
yeah i was gonna get that exhuast on it anyway
the spark plug wires were in bad condition
so i had to replace them
and yeah i took it to advanced auto parts and the guy reset it for me
but it came back on later that night
but that was before i had gotten the NGKs
so should i try resetting it again?

#12 ·
Although if you do the cat eliminator you may see a decrease in low end torque and get worse gas mileage due to the decreased exhaust backpressure. I wouldn't remove the cat personally unless I had a built engine with aftermarket cams, etc.

#14 ·
Tulsa is only an hour drive if you speed like me.

Your plugs/wires will have no effect on that exhaust code. You either have a bad cat or a bad O2 sensor. If you are looking at getting the HyTech replica, I strongly recommend you replace your entire exhaust. It's not designed for a stock exhaust system and you will not see the gains as much on a stock system. You can choose to use a cat or not. It's up to you, but I would use one. Read my installation/picture/dyno/review thread.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2506208

It doesn't fully say, so here's my exhaust system:

HyTech replica header
2.5"x6" flex pipe
2.5" Carsound universal highflow cat
O2 simulator
2.5"x18" SS resonator
2.5" custom crushbent exhaust
2.5" (In), 7"x11"x18" oval straight-through muffler w/ dual 3.0" tips

#16 ·
No no no no. First, it's far simpler to just remove the clock/radio fuse. Second, as I already stated, your plugs/wires will have no effect on this code. It will just come right back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.