Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey -
FNG here. I've searched threads but didn't find my answer.
88 Si 4WS. Had a front left wheel bearing replaced by a local Honda shop. Took just the steering knuckle in cuz I had the car up on stands replacing axles. When I put it back together there was way too much play in the wheel. Took the knuckle off & back to the shop. They looked at it and said it was OK, that the factory says to leave the bearing a bit loose and tighten it by over-torqueing the axle nut to seat it then back off and torque it to spec.
WELL! After trying a 600 ft-lb impaxct wrench AND wringing the tip off of 2 breaker bars (OK I used a 4 ft jack handle for a cheater - I'm not that much of a he-man) I've decided that this ain't workin.
My next step is to take it to another machine shop and have them press the bearing all the way in.
Anybody have any suggestions or experience with this?
I appreciate any help you all can give me. I need to get this car back on the road. I'm goin broke buying gas for my truck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THe bearing seems to be where the play is - I can see it move slightly on the inner side of the knuckle when i wiggle the hub with the knuckle out of the car.

When installed, there is play visible between the knuckle and the CV housing, so it is not fitting as far into the knucle as it should.

FWIW, this is a new axle, which I had a hard time matching up because the tranny is apparently from a 90-91. I put the old drive-axle back in and it doesn't work either, so the problem is definitely with the bearing job.

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
There is a BIG circlip that snaps into a groove in the backside of the knuckle. The outer bearing race is supposed to bottom out on this circlip. Make sure the circlip is in place and the outer bearing race is resting against it. If it is, that's correctly installed.

There is a thin steel shield cover that you must pop loose in order to see the circlip. You can just pry it out with a screwdriver and knock it back in again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info Dano. I won't have time to check it out till later in the week.

Has anyone ever heard of this partially pressed in wheel bearing procedure? Sounds pretty strange to me - you don't think the service guy was d!cking with me do you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts