Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i was on my way back to chicago from nashville where i attend college and i blew out my rear main seal in my b20a3. i have been wanting to do a swap for a long time but have next to no cash. and the b20a5 does not have the aftermarket support that i would want it to for later down the line mods. the h22 is a very expensive engine and i cant afford that. :wzbigcry: so i did some research and came up with this. in the 4g prelude the h22 was offered v tec and the f22b was offered non v tec. the lude with the h block has chassis code BB the lude with the f22b has chassis code BA which happens to be the same chassis code as the 3g lude. this engine can be found with trans and harness for 600. which is still more than i have right now but my b is dyin and i am going to have to get a new engine soon. has anyone ever heard of this being swapped? any info on it? if it has the same chassis code then the engine mounts should theoretically be the same or relatively close right? or am i horribly mistaken? if this can be done relatively easily then there is a swap alt. to the h22 that is much cheaper and has a 160 hp. a respectable starting point. any info or opinions on this would be greatly appriciated. thanks

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
mounts for the f22 would be about the same or identical to the mounts you would need for an h22. i dont know about our chassis code compared to 4th gens, but i know that even if they are the same, it doesnt make the f22 a direct fit. all the work needed to swap in a f22 is the same as swapping in a h22

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
ok well thats the thing though. the lude with the h22 has a different chassis code than the lude with the f22b. i looked at some pics and it looks VERY similar to the a5 dohc. so im thinkin that you wouldnt need anywhere near the mods to do the f22b that you would the h22 and its a cheaper engine by far. 850 shipped with all sensors harness ecu and trans. sounds promising. that and 4g cars didnt all come with the h22 and to swap one in req motor mounts so like i said. it could be easier. if i can just find out what the chassis code means. all 3g ludes carbed or inj b20 or b21 have code BB and the jdm 4g is BA with vtec but the non vtec f22b has code BB just like ours. so yeah. chassis code?

so yeah what is a chassis code and what does it refer to? does it refer to the engine mounts at all?

·
Registered
326 Posts
the reason u cnat just drop those engines in is cuz of our "gangsta lean" if hte f22b leans back like ours it might be easier. but still guna be alot of work. might be worth it though

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
its the same amount of work to install an f22 as it is an h22. mounts are not the same as ours, so no matter what you need new mounts, axles, and all of the other install process as installing an h22. exact same process for both to install in our cars. and chassis code has nothing to do with the motor mounts. that, and why would you want an f22? its weaker then an h22, and costs the same to install. maybe a little bit cheaper for the motor, tranny, harness, and ecu, but not enough cheaper to make it worth the lower power and lower upgradeability

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ah i c. and to answer previous questions i looked into this because i have little to no cash and my engine is steps away from death and i dont want to get the b20a5 because aftermarket does not exist for it. i want a dohc fuel inj motor. and i dont feel like payin 3g for the engine and shit to put it in. i looked at the f22b in alot of pics and the mounts look to be very similar to mine. and also take into consideration that the 4g lude with chassis code BB was a japan only model all the ones we got here in the us are BA vtec or not all the us spec ludes are BA code. this engine is out of the japanese si non vtec with our chassis code. so it could in some ways be easier right? sorry i just want this to work cuz i dont want to get rid of my lude but i cant afford an h22. anyone know what the mounts on the jdm f22b are like?

·
Registered
750 Posts
ok so you dont want the b20a5 cause there is no aftermarket support...but you have no money..and if you have no money whay r u worried about aftermarket parts, you cant afford them. so i think the most logical thing to do is go with the least expensive engine so you can get your car going. but thats just a thought :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
I dont think the f22 has tham much more aftermarket support than the b20a5. Most peopl that have the f22 swap to h22. If your low on money i would just get a b20a5 cuz it'll be alot less work just a straight remove and replace. Or get a jdm B20a, it'd still be cheaper than the f22 (about $700) and its a drop in.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
exactley what everyone else has allready said......... its just as hard to swap in as the h22, plus, it does not make 160hp it makes 135 with 140 tq

F22B: 135hp 140tq
H23a1: 160hp (not sure on the tq)
h22a1: 190hp (in the 4th gen) about 160tq

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
dank, im going to say this one last time. the f22 would not be any cheaper or easier to install in a 3g than an h22 would. and aftermarket support for the f22 isnt that great like you seem to think it might be.

like what has been said over and over in this thread, stop considering an f22. its either b20a5, b21a1, or b20a. f22 and h22 will be just as expensive and just as difficult as each other to install, and f22 is a crappy motor to choose of the two if you're going to do it.

leave it at that and stop talking about chassis codes lol.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok well thanks for all teh help and i apric it. but 1 last thing here.
SPECIFICATIONS
» Jdm Engine : F22B
» Year : 93
»
Valve train
: DOHC, 16 Valve
»
Jdm transmission
: Hydraulic
»
Displacement
: 2.2L
»
Horsepower
: 160 HP
»
Torque : [email protected]
»
Compression :
8.8:1
» Price : 600.00$ (USD)

YOUR JDM F22B SWAP INCLUDES
»
Jdm motor

» Jdm engine
» Distributor, Wiring Harness
» Complete Intake Manifold
» Alternator
» A/C Power Steering Pump
» All Brackets and Sensors
thats off the site i found the engine on and what nots so there is a dohc 160 hp version of the f22b just a fyi. but i think for now ill just try to put some crap in the oil that will hopefully slow the leak so i can stick this engine out a lil longer. thanks guys

·
REST IN PEACE
16,451 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
http://www.naganojapanese.com/jdm_f22b.htm thats a site with a baisic pic. i havent found much else and i think this can be done. i am having trouble locating many more pics of this engine but it really really looks like the a5 engine and if this would drop in with minimal convincing us 3rd genners have a cheap swap that yeilds more stock ponys and has a bit better of an aftermarket support. please anyone who can find some pics look into this for us and im doing what i can.

oh and also www.enginereplacement.com has chassis code and engine code info.

update: my friend who works at a performance shop says that the chassis code has EVERYTHING to do with the engine mounts so i think i may have found a simple remedy to our carbs! any other input or info ie links pics or anything my bretheren can come up with here would be most apriciated!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts