Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
azianlude said:
Hi everyone this is my first post on this forum, My name is Shawn and I drive a 2001 Prelude base. This may be a noob question but i have searched and cant seem to find the answer, I needed to replace my ecu and got one on order i should be receiving it friday.Since i am getting a new ecu do i have to get new keys or reprogram my old ones because of the immobilizer?Any help will be much appreciated, thanks
I hope you have the red learning key if not your going to need a new immobilizer unit to go with the ECU there are 2 ways of getting around this if you can soilder good and have a temp controlled iron just swap out the immobilizer board. the other is to replace the immobilizer board out with a bypass board. or you can just pay the $200 for the new immobilizer unit and have honda cut new keys and program the keys (expensive) or another option is to get the whole set if buying a junkyard ecu is to get the key immobilizer box + key and taking the key and having a T5 copy made.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Blue01 said:
I've been wondering about the immobilizer - ecu relationship for awhile. The common theme has been that the ECU is tied to the chip in the keys...

I'm currently running a P28, and the green light's behavior has been unchanged since I swapped out my OBD2 ECU.
the immobilizer is a system coded keys,immobilizer control unit ,ecu when the key in turned on the immobilizer unit reads the key if the code is in it's memory it will handshake the ECU and the car will start up if not the immobilizer control unit will cut out the starter and the ECU will cut spark & fuel. since you replaced the ecu with a P28 the car will start without a coded key as long as the starter works or is pushed started. so the immobilizer unit can be disconnected and the 2 starter wires jumped blue and grey wires it will start with any key.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Ricedadee said:
So that explains the green light key flashing on p28 ecu. the immoblizer unit is still there .. wow

I just wanted say that to be a part of the thread i personally still have the stock ecu so you guys can't take my car :)
the immobilizer control unit is under the dash on the left side of the colom it's black with white sticker on it that says honda lock.

I wouldn't say the the immobilizer is fool proof as honda keeps a database of the immobilizer brake brake code that alows the car to be driven with a standard metal key that can be cut with just the vin #

1 - 3 of 3 Posts