Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
need some help with this brake stuff quick!!!!!!

I searched and didn't see anything on this.. I just put my back passenger side brakes on.. it took me a few tries to realize that the little nub on the back of the brake pade had to fit into one of those grooves on the piston. I couldn't get the rotor to go into the caliper because that was pushing it out too far. well everything went back together real easy after I figured that out. then i put my speedbleeder screws in there and proceeded to pump the brakes and bleed the back passenger side.. now that wheel is stuck so tight with the brakes on it that I can barely turn the wheel at all with all of my might.. is this a problem or it just needs to settle in?? I got my car on the jack right now so help quick.. thanks..

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
man..... I just did the other side an no problems.. so I take the problem side back off.. everything seems to be ok.. I put it back together.. rotor spins freely until i tighten the two bolts holding the caliper on all the way up.. then its locked up.. whats the deal??? I have to get this thing out of the garage and moved real soon..

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
dano said:
I don't mean to insult you....but you do know that the rear caliper pistons SCREW in, right ??
hehe.. you make it sound so easy... they just screw in :rolleyes:

mine are a bitch to do. they in no way like to be turned.

stupid design IMO.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Something happened to my post where i said I have one of those little square tools that has the parts for screwing them in.. so yes i screwed them in.. If I leave the 14mm caliper bolts about 3 turns loose then the rotor will spin like it should.. or if I take the two screws out of the rotor and then tap it with a hammer it will turn a little bit then stop.. then i tap it and it spins again then stops.. its like once i tighten down those bolts it cocks something wierd or soemthing..

Also I have done about 30 honda brake jobs for my family and friends and never had this happen before.. the old rotor that I took off also had some funny wear on it.. about half of the outside face of it was rusted.. like the outer half..

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
you're sliders are sticking. which is also the cause of the outside of the rotor being worn funny and partially rusted. take the sliders out if you can and take a wire brush to them and load them with buttloads of grease. reassemble them and wipe off all grease that splooges out.

the sliders should come out fairly easily. they are sticking, so they may be tough to get out. if you cant get them out at all, you need a new caliper or bracket, i forget which part the sliders slide into.

·
Registered
45 Posts
As far as the rotor thing goes, your rotors are probably warped, you need to get them turned or replace them. The rotor being warped may have something to do with your brakes hanging up, when you slide the caliper on does it slide over the rotor easily or do you have to apply some pressure to get it on? If you have to apply pressure to get it on, i would go out and buy a rotor put it on, set the caliper on, and if it still hangs up a bit take it for a short trip around the block and see if it goes away. You dont have to replace the rotor, but if its warped it will eat your brakes up and you will feel some vibration when braking(do you feel a vibration when you brake) if you felt a vibration when braking that is a good indication that your rotor is bad. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
they are brand new brembo rotors. so they arent warped.. the only two things that I can come up with are that the little nub on the back of the brake pad has moved so that its now not in the groove of the piston, or that the brake sliders are stuck.. the back brakes on these cars are prone to sticking arent they?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would make absoulutely sure the piston is all the way in. Also as said before take the slides out and clean them, use antiseize for grease, regular grease WILL NOT WORK, it is not maid to withstand the heat. Also make sure the mounting surface on the hub is flat, take a wire brush and clean it off. Hope that works for you.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
CADster said:
hehe.. you make it sound so easy... they just screw in :rolleyes:

mine are a bitch to do. they in no way like to be turned.

stupid design IMO.
That's why you open the bleeder to relieve the pressure. Then they'll screw right in. ;)

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
:emthup:
Unless the piston is starting ot sieze, in whioch case they will get stiffer to turn.

the discs are not warped & that suggestion wasn't a good one.

Sounds like you have either:
not srewed the piston back in far enough. They should be adjusted so they just touch the pads.
or the sliders are sticking.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK.. to answer the piston not far enough back part.. I turned the piston all the way back in.. i then put the calipers over the rotor very easily.. they went right on. I didnt have to fight with it or anything..if the piston had not been turned far enough back in I would not have been able to do this.. in fact it may have been the easiest one I have ever done.. which leads me to my next thought.. I wonder if ther ewas enough space between the back of the pad and the piston that when i pumped the brakes the piston turned a little and that little nub on the back of the pad that goes into the x groove of the piston is now setting out of the groove.. I will check this tomorow..

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
The piston will not turn when you press the pedal. Nor will it cause the brakes to sieze unless you put them in badly.

88SE Lude said:
Sounds like you have either:
not srewed the piston back in far enough. They should be adjusted so they just touch the pads.
or the sliders are sticking.
I guess you didn't pay any attention to my previous post then.

I do believe that is in the online manual as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts