Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I want to thank everyone, that was dealing with all my dumb question this is my first build and I don't want to mess up to hard. And I'm pretty young and have little experience.
(91 2.0L)
Anyways, I need to do a head gasket and a motor mount and I was thinking instead of paying someone to do that why not just build the engine from there with the money I have for the mechanic ( i already have the parts need for the fixes.)

I eventually want to turbo the car but right now I want to so internals, like pitsons, rods, cams, ect

I really don't know what aftermarket part I can get if any are even available. Could I get a little advice on where to go with this build?

·
Registered
1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si, 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4ws, 1990 Honda Prelude Si 4ws, etc.
817 Posts
Check the FAQs, first of all - lots of answers to questions you haven't even asked, and if you continue asking questions of the forum without searching for them first, you'll be flamed for it without a doubt. I'm a nice guy, so I'm pointing you in the right direction. ;) A common mild cam upgrade is to use the Exhaust cam from a B21A1 if you can find one. Some have also used a cam from a B18C, but it requires some machining or other workaround as it is not a direct replacement like the B21A1 cam. Pistons and rods are far more involved than you're going to get just replacing a head gasket and motor mount, but if your intention is to remove the engine for complete disassembly and rebuild, everything is on the table....but a good portion of all of that is addressed in the FAQs and Tips and How-tos sections. Lots of good info.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the FAQs, first of all - lots of answers to questions you haven't even asked, and if you continue asking questions of the forum without searching for them first, you'll be flamed for it without a doubt. I'm a nice guy, so I'm pointing you in the right direction. ;) A common mild cam upgrade is to use the Exhaust cam from a B21A1 if you can find one. Some have also used a cam from a B18C, but it requires some machining or other workaround as it is not a direct replacement like the B21A1 cam. Pistons and rods are far more involved than you're going to get just replacing a head gasket and motor mount, but if your intention is to remove the engine for complete disassembly and rebuild, everything is on the table....but a good portion of all of that is addressed in the FAQs and Tips and How-tos sections. Lots of good info.
[/QUOTE

Thanks man for the advice! And thanks for telling me about the cam upgrade, again what I have found on here nothing to my knowled mentioned many parts I can use from a b21a1 anything do you know that I can use off of that engine I have a pull parts car the only difference is I have a b20a5 in my car and a b21a1 in the parts car (I bought it because it had 4 wheel steering and I want to swap it over including a few other things) but can I use anything else from the b21a1 for upgrades in my b20a5? Thanks man for the advice this is my first car build and my mechanics teacher hated me so I didn't really learn anything in school when I was there

·
Registered
1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si, 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4ws, 1990 Honda Prelude Si 4ws, etc.
817 Posts
Thanks man for the advice! And thanks for telling me about the cam upgrade, again what I have found on here nothing to my knowled mentioned many parts I can use from a b21a1 anything do you know that I can use off of that engine I have a pull parts car the only difference is I have a b20a5 in my car and a b21a1 in the parts car (I bought it because it had 4 wheel steering and I want to swap it over including a few other things) but can I use anything else from the b21a1 for upgrades in my b20a5? Thanks man for the advice this is my first car build and my mechanics teacher hated me so I didn't really learn anything in school when I was there
All of that 4ws equipment will transfer over, but it's not the easiest thing in the world to accomplish, and it is messy, time consuming and knuckle-busting, especially changing over the front rack. What kind of shape is the 4ws lude in? It might be easier for you to take the B21A1 out of it and drop your B20A5 in its place, depending on what years they are (for emissions purposes). The FAQs are going to be your friend! Seriously, just go there and click on anything that sounds interesting. Just outta curiosity, how many miles are on the B21, and is the block intact? (I ask because I have one with a hole in the block thanks to the idiotic previous owner, and I'm performing....more of a fix-it-so-it-can-drive project than a hot rod, and I'm interested to know what the availability of certain parts is like in case I need to buy some from someone else.)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Have you ever driven a 4 wheel steering Prelude ? I have and found it to be spooky. I'm not the only one I can assure you.
I dunno if "spooky" is the word I'd choose, but the handling is different than traditional. It doesn't take too much getting used to, but it is noticeably sharper. They make awesome autocrossers. I've never seen another car that could out-corner it on a cone-course, and that's where the 3g 4ws truly shines - the short gearing helps it out and the lack of top speed doesn't hurt it, etc. Mine are all daily drivers, not track cars, but I've been very satisfied with how they perform. They're not fast, but they're quick enough for me - in good running order, the B21A1 and B20A5 go like they're angry.

There's a decision to be made at this point: If you're building a track car, don't pretend you're going to drive it on the street. If you're building a street car, don't pretend it's a race car. Feel free to do some minor mods that are easy and relatively cheap, but know where to stop and be happy with what you have - this keeps you from having it perpetually up in the air, dumping untold amounts of cash into parts that don't make it run or improve the car just because it sounds cool to have them. The important thing is being able to drive the car, so fixing what's broken and addressing safety concerns like bad ball joints and such should be your priority. Driving it is the fun part. If you never get to do the fun part, it's not really worth keeping, so focus your attention on getting it roadworthy first is my advice (running engine and suspension and brakes that work like they're supposed to). Think about what else you'd like to do after you've been driving it for awhile and have a frame of reference. Stay away from things that aren't broken and don't need replacement or modification. For example: I advise you not to lower it unless you're making a track car - The stock ride height is already pretty low by even modern standards, and taking it down further will make the handling twitchy, the ride will suffer (read harder), make it tough to change a tire if necessary (after I lowered my first one, I discovered I couldn't fit a even a low profile floor jack under it without lifting up on a fender at the same time I was trying to get the jack in position - it was a two person job to put the car up in the air just to change a tire!), the car will bottom out and throw sparks on the smallest little bumps- even relatively smooth railroad crossings, and it will mess with your camber and suspension geometry in a way that you'll have to correct it with expensive aftermarket parts that no shop will be willing to install and calibrate/align for you due to warranty concerns, and you'd have to rotate and change tires regularly. Track cars are made for this treatment, and you don't drive them enough to make those things a concern. Daily drivers are just a complete hassle under these conditions and in my opinion, not at all worth it. Add the fact that a set of K-sport coilovers cost almost what Kelley Blue Book says the car is worth in decent used shape, and the key term "cost effective" comes to mind.

Make the decision about what you're building before you start. It'll be easier to know what your goals are so you can plan things out and educate yourself on how you're going to accomplish them in advance. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts