Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 88 si few months back. I am not a car guy at all but have tackled some of the easier jobs with good success such as end links, control arm bushings,new shocks,new audio system, and new rear seats.
The car has 132,xxx miles and when i got it at 124,xxx the guy said the previous owner replaced the timing belt at 80,xxx miles. but he wasn't absolutley sure. I have purchased a new belt,pulley, pump, seals and gaskets. I just don't want to attempt to do it without ever having done anything like this before. I also don't have a whole lot of tools. The big draw back right now is I am out of work and am soon going to be out of the place I live if something doesn't happen soon with all these job interviews I am going on.
So what I am asking is if there is anyone in the Chicagoland area that would be willing to help a fellow luder out and could give me a hand. I am willing to do as much of the work myself and would buy food and drinks.
I just have to make sure its done properly and soon. Its my daily driver and I really need to have a car.I would be forever grateful and would pay you back one day when you need help.

·
Registered
7,644 Posts
Tell you what, why not check the belt. If the belt was recently replaced, the manufacturer's printed graphics, on the outside of the belt, should be pretty easy to see. If you can see NO printing what so ever, the belt is old. I know this is pretty subjective but it does help if you have no history of the car.

The most difficult part of changing the belt is breaking the crankshaft pulley bolt loose. If you don't have access to an air impact wrench or heavy duty sockets, breaker bar and lengths of pipe, you will have big problems. If you do have this stuff, just follow the procedure in the on-line manual...to the letter...and you should be OK.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tell you what, why not check the belt. If the belt was recently replaced, the manufacturer's printed graphics, on the outside of the belt, should be pretty easy to see. If you can see NO printing what so ever, the belt is old. I know this is pretty subjective but it does help if you have no history of the car.

The most difficult part of changing the belt is breaking the crankshaft pulley bolt loose. If you don't have access to an air impact wrench or heavy duty sockets, breaker bar and lengths of pipe, you will have big problems. If you do have this stuff, just follow the procedure in the on-line manual...to the letter...and you should be OK.
Thank for the encouragement but to be honest i don't want to take the chance.Like I said I am willing to help with the work I want someone whos done it before, and knows their shit, and is 100% sure that its done correct looking over my shoulder. I can't take a chance, its my only thing going if and when i get a new job.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I live in the northwest suburbs and I have a shit ton of tools. Danktank and kingprelude also live in the chicagoland area. I've only done a timing belt once before so I don't know if you'd want someone with more experience or what. But if we run into any trouble my family could help you out too.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in the northwest suburbs and I have a shit ton of tools. Danktank and kingprelude also live in the chicagoland area. I've only done a timing belt once before so I don't know if you'd want someone with more experience or what. But if we run into any trouble my family could help you out too.

Well I appreicate it. I just want to get it done for peace of mind. do you have a place to do it? I have a garage but I am in far south burbs...let me know what you think

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have a 4 car garage we could do it in. Send me a PM and let me know when you want to get this done and all that extra stuff

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 4 car garage we could do it in. Send me a PM and let me know when you want to get this done and all that extra stuff
PM sent....i am free anytime...thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've removed a timing belt on an F22 91 accord, a b18b and b16a but the last two were out of the car. I'm in Bensenville (n/w sub.) What I have used was either a special hex socket on the harmonic balancer that has a hole in the center for another socket to remove the bolt. Also a chain wrench can grip the harmonic balancer. It takes, I guese 400-600 lbs of force to break that center bolt free because of the locktight that the factory used while the torque for it is around 180 ft lbs. You'll need pipes to fit over the breaker bars and two people turning against one and another.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How about tomorrow (sat.) ...looks like the best day. Also have guy from chicagoprelude coming to help...between the 3 of us, should be aok...:emthup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts