Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a 1986 Prelude with a 5 speed manual transmission and 1.8 dual carb. I recently stripped a 1987 2.0 SI with an auto trans. 5th gear is out of the manual so I'd like to put the auto trans in the '86. My problem is, on the SI the kickdown cable went from the throttle body to the trans. My '86 has dual carbs and from what I can see on a PDF the cable should go from the gas pedal to the trans on a 1.8 carb...does anyone have any pictures of how this set-up should look? Or even better, have some parts to sell?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Back a long time ago I had similar vintage Accord 1.8 carb. As I recall, the kickdown cable went into the firewall, came around the front of the engine and swooped down into the trans area. Seems to me, the setup looked a lot like what a 5 speed setup looks like.

Now, I could be wrong, this was 20+ years ago! But I'm pretty sure it looks like the clutch cable setup on a manual. Check under your dash at the gas pedal, see if there are extra spots for another cable to go onto. Likely, Honda only has one gas pedal P/N that is used on both AT and MT.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gas pedal has a plastic clip on the top, but no hole in the firewall which is why I'd love to see how it came from the factory.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Don't do that auto boxes are 4 speed and not reliable 5th gear fix is so easy to do as plate covers the gear so full strip down is not required . Just most likely the synchro and hub gone which if not too badly damaged can be machined or buy new ones or 2nd hand ones from accords

1 - 4 of 4 Posts