Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this is the car:

1996 Prelude SI with JDM H22a W/ 5 Speed JDM Tranny swap
Stage 2 performance Clutch,
Cold air intake
Performance short shifter
Brand new Radiator
Performance Headers
Custom 2.5 inch front to back exhaust system with bolt on catalytic converter assembly, high performance catalytic converter and high performance muffler with silencer
Front upper and rear lower strut tower brace
New tire rod ends
Front and rear cross drilled and slotted performance rotors with Metallic brake pads.
17 Inch white ADR performance wheels with low profile Continental Tires
Pillar mount dual gauge pod with Autometer Voltmeter and Oil pressure gauges
VAFCII controller with VTEC control set to 5,500 RPM instead of factory 6,000 RPM
12 Inch Performance steering wheel complete with hub adapter assembly
Remote paging car alarm with remote entry and remote cold start
Currently running and used as daily driver with no mechanical or non mechanical problems. 105 K miles on body and approx 45K on engine. ABSOLUTELY NO RUST, very responsive and quick with no issues. Sale will include additional parts like jdm ignition switch with matching door lock, 4 stock OEM Honda 15 inch wheels, 2 black steelies with slicks. Email for pics and additional info.

this is the story:

1. Changed wheels from the white to silver
2. no sound system (prolly stock one in there)
3. automatic to manual conversion, professionally done since he's mechanic

this is the history:

This is an ex NJ car that I bought off cars.com about 2 yrs back with 78K miles on the car from a kid who couldnt fix a control arm. The car had gone out of his control in rain and he ended up totalling the car and collecting from insurance on it. Their definition of a total was a bent control arm and bent steering rod...anyways..I drove it home from NJ in 9 hour and 5 blown tires including doing a wheel alignment on NJ turnpike..after that I bought another prelude from ebay which had had a front end collision and proceeded to merge the two into this one since the body and frame on this one was good...I have titles for both the cars....and this one currently holds a clean va title since I had it inspected

This is the deal:

$6,000 and he also does a 60kmile service (timing belt and balance belt with tensioners, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket and water pump)

I'm going crazy trying to decide. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I guess the question is how do you feel about having a Frankenstein car...?

Also, vtec is set at 5k out of the factory. Though I'm not positive it's 5k on JDM h22's...

·
Registered
285 Posts
shadowed said:

Also, vtec is set at 5k out of the factory. Though I'm not positive it's 5k on JDM h22's...
actually, stock...the vtec engages around 5400 rpms. i have mine set at 5000

as for your answer...id say go for it. seems like the car was really well cared for to go through all this work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shadowed said:

thats the thing, i'm not sure. i guess i'd feel kind of uncomfortable. i'm comparin the car to this:

http://cars.com/go/search/detail.js...ICE+descending|Q-descending|Z-20705&aff=wpost

pros:
no questionable history
about the same mods, give and take a few

cons:
rear suspension needs to be replaced, he has a lifetime warranty so all i have to do is pay for shipping and have a friend install it
no power steering, i just need the belt
and a few dings and scratches here and there

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
vtec engages at 5200 ish from the factory (in a 5g with h22)... and i'm pretty sure it's the same on the jdm h22. the jdm h22 has different compression. as far as the vtec engagement, if the car is well tuned, you shouldn't be able to "feel" vtec kick in. it shouldn't be a big kick. If it is, I'd probably set engagement back down until you know the tune is good/get a tune, whatever floats your boat. 5500 isn't really that much of a diff tho.. so.. it's up to u

it sounds like a decent deal, but i'd take it to a body man for information on the accident. if the car wasn't that old and was still worth a bit, chances are the damage was worse than told. i'd also play the accident like crazy when i was bargaining for a lower price.

Depending on the year the engine was produced, you might want to see if it has an auto tensioner or a manual tensioner. was it out of a 5g or 4g? I'm not sure if the jdms carry the auto for the 5g engines, but they can be quite a problem if not maintained and they fail. if it's an h22a without a #, it prob has a manual tensioner anyway.

read through this http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229086&highlight=jdm+h22a

what part of va are you from?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2qu1k4u said:
vtec engages at 5200 ish from the factory... and i'm pretty sure it's the same on the jdm h22. it sounds like a decent deal, but i'd take it to a body man for information on the accident. if the car wasn't that old and was still worth a bit, chances are the damage was worse than told.

what part of va are you from?
i live in maryland, baltimore to be exact

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts
its_me_again said:
actually, stock...the vtec engages around 5400 rpms. i have mine set at 5000

as for your answer...id say go for it. seems like the car was really well cared for to go through all this work.
Well until reading this post I was 100% confident that VTEC engagement was 5100 rpm on the usdm h22, but geez we got 3 differing opinions on that?

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

1 - 8 of 8 Posts