Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so me and my friend were working on my 88 prelude last night and he decided to be a genius and snap a head off of one of the pressure plate bolts

what i need to know to prove whoever wrong is
will it effect anything?
is it bad to leave it like that or should i tap out the rest of the bolt and replace it?

also
there seems to be a flywheel bolt missing... will that effect anything???

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
YEA!!!! That is really bad it will throw the weight off and you need to extract it or rethread it cause it will only cause problems for you in the future and lots of balance problems. And replace that missing bolt you need all the blots on there

·
Registered
263 Posts
if it won't turn, Don't drill it out and re-tap it, Drill a small hole in the middle of it and get an EASY-OUT and try that. Easy-out will usually bring the bolt out because there is no pressure on the bolt itself if the head is snapped off.. just the threads are holding it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks now i can throw it in his face of how much of a dumbass he is cause he said it would be just fine like that and i really done think that missing bolts and shit is good cause it will cause shit to be off balance and cause uneven wear on the new clutch and flywheel i just put in cause the pressure plate will engage and lift up on the spot where there is no bolt
leading to even more problems.....

also i have had no luck in finding anything other than bosch 02 sensors
can someone give me a good site or something that works with paypal so my car doesnt run like shit cause of bosch lol

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
thanks now i can throw it in his face of how much of a dumbass he is cause he said it would be just fine like that and i really done think that missing bolts and shit is good cause it will cause shit to be off balance and cause uneven wear on the new clutch and flywheel i just put in cause the pressure plate will engage and lift up on the spot where there is no bolt
leading to even more problems.....

also i have had no luck in finding anything other than bosch 02 sensors
can someone give me a good site or something that works with paypal so my car doesnt run like shit cause of bosch lol
Maybe you shouldn't have asked him to help you if he doesn't know what he's doing. How the hell did he snap the head off the bolt?

But then again, how long will he continue to be a friend if you call him a dumbass and throw things back into his face?

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
those are two of the most important bolts in the entire engine. having them missing will have drastic affects on engine life and running conditions, and thats just if it stays together. if it comes apart, heh, good luck picking the pieces out of your passenger's legs.

the pressure plate bolt should be easy to get out without drilling anything. you could prob get it out with just a screwdriver and a small hammer.
get a new pressure plate bolt and flywheel bolt and install them immediately. DO NOT drive the car without them

the pressure plate bolt is the most important. it throws the weight off which can affect bearing life, and give wierd vibrations which can actually damage almost every other part in the motor. it also only has 6 bolts in total, so missing one is obviously a very bad thing. having one missing will cause the clutch to wear much much faster and unevenly, can cause the pressure plate to crack, and can cause the flywheel to crack.

in total, we're talking damage to all internal engine parts, and the flywheel and the clutch. and if it comes apart, it'll come through the bellhousing and through the firewall and into the car. this is why race cars have whats called a scatter shield, to prevent flying broken pieces from killing or mangling the driver or passenger.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe you shouldn't have asked him to help you if he doesn't know what he's doing. How the hell did he snap the head off the bolt?

But then again, how long will he continue to be a friend if you call him a dumbass and throw things back into his face?

i prove him wrong all the time.... he is a beginner at a local full service shop so he thinks he can fix anything
when i went away for a little bit he grabbed the torqe wrench and set it to high... then trys to say that it was the wrenches fault lol
so now i have to drill out the stud thats stuck in my new flwheel...

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
i suggest you find a new brand of bolts if it broke off that easily..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
those are two of the most important bolts in the entire engine. having them missing will have drastic affects on engine life and running conditions, and thats just if it stays together. if it comes apart, heh, good luck picking the pieces out of your passenger's legs.

the pressure plate bolt should be easy to get out without drilling anything. you could prob get it out with just a screwdriver and a small hammer.
get a new pressure plate bolt and flywheel bolt and install them immediately. DO NOT drive the car without them

the pressure plate bolt is the most important. it throws the weight off which can affect bearing life, and give wierd vibrations which can actually damage almost every other part in the motor. it also only has 6 bolts in total, so missing one is obviously a very bad thing. having one missing will cause the clutch to wear much much faster and unevenly, can cause the pressure plate to crack, and can cause the flywheel to crack.

in total, we're talking damage to all internal engine parts, and the flywheel and the clutch. and if it comes apart, it'll come through the bellhousing and through the firewall and into the car. this is why race cars have whats called a scatter shield, to prevent flying broken pieces from killing or mangling the driver or passenger.

thank you i think im going to email this to him then call him and idiot...
he tried to say after he snapped the head off the bolt that its not going to effect anything that you dont need every bolt... i said bullshit to that right away lol
anything internal thats uneven is going to cause bad shit.... thats why if a tire is out of balance it can vibrate and wear unevenly or even break the studs off...

thanks and have a good day

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
what shop does he work for?
i want to know which shop never to go to..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i suggest you find a new brand of bolts if it broke off that easily..

yeah i want to but this is the great state of washington and nobody has shit for parts or anything for ludes....
i live in snohomish county and i think ive been to every wrecking yard and auto parts store within a 90 mile radius lol
and nobody can even get one little flywheel bolt
and if a place says they can get you one right when you ask dont believe them... they will have you wait 4 weeks then tell you that they cant find anything...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

dont let a geo owner work on a honda...
they break things thinking it will work....

he owns a geo storm "GSI" :hehe:

which he thinks is a race car and better then anything... my lude beat his little geo in second with a bad clutch
he had to shift more times then i blinked in the minute we were "racing" lol
i just stayed in second and went lol

·
Registered
561 Posts
Just go to the Honda dealership and get the bolts, and make sure you tell them its a MT. I bought all new bolts when I did the auto to mt swap, it doesn't cost that much.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
so now i have to drill out the stud thats stuck in my new flwheel...
you dont have to drill anything! i dont know why you keep saying that!
flatblade screwdriver and a hammer. just tap the broken bolt out by tapping it in a rotational pattern, it'll come right out

and if you can't buy the bolts at the junkyard, get them from the honda dealership, or from an online dealership like majestic. they're only a couple bucks and you'll have them within a few days

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
yeah.. go to a honda dealership.
majestic is good too, but youll spend more cuz they have a minimal shipping charge of 4.95.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts