Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,260 Posts
CRAP.

It looks to be the same exhaust size as stock, it's not even a name-brand. Judging by the construction and info provided... it's junk. 10-15hp from a cat-back exhaust? :sleepy:

Save your money and buy a REAL exhaust. There's a reason it's only $150... you always get what you pay for.

·
Registered
581 Posts
yeah ebay stuff is junk, the saying u get what u pay for has a lot of truth when it comes to ebay. the quality sucks, save ur money and get something worth putting on ur car.

Ace

·
Registered
759 Posts
while i agree alot of ebay stuff is junk, but i want to point out two things,

first, you guys do know a lot of people recommend to just get any large ebay cold air intake and a K&N filter right? sometimes a metal pipe is just a metal pipe.

and 2, from the specs and pics, it is not crap. it is much larger than stock exhaust, unless mommyslittlemonster's stock exhaust came ~2.5" with a ~3.5" tip. i think not.

by most exhaust theories, this exhaust looks like it meets all the requirements

it's almost 2.5"
it's mandrel bent
looks like clean computer controlled welds
stainless steel
doesn't look like a chambered muffler so it'll flow through nicely, but loud

if it wasn't for the ugly propane can style muffler, i would try this myself if i didn't have an exhaust. why?

well, i'm not a racer
i don't get my car tuned
a muffler to me and a lot of others is purely for looks and sound. (even the op only asks for how it fits and sounds, didn't mention anything about power gains)
and the hp gained from an exhaust solely by itself is negligible, all in your head. just because you sound louder does not mean you go faster, i see civic's making that mistake in judgement all the time

but yes, i still agree not to get it. but for different reasons. it doesn't have any solid proof of giving you any appreciable gain. and while you, the op, may not care about gains now, you probably will in the long run. the exhaust is usually the first of many steps towards the addiction we know as modding a 5th gen prelude.

and you have no idea how it sounds. the piping on that looks fine, but the muffler is very questionable. i'm not into mufflers like those, n1 style, because they generally are very loud, even with the silencer and i'm not a fan of the flame burned coloring on the tip.

everyone's wrapped up in brands and hear say. you know there are even ebay replica jdm fogs now, is that ebay made in china trash? probably. but as long as it works that's all that matters.

oh don't forget ebay no name strut bars, plenty of people use those too. a piece of steel is sometimes just a piece of steel.

in brief, name brand and test proven products will be what you want in the long run. do it right the first time or don't do it at all, unless that's how you do things.

·
Registered
581 Posts
gains aside, i would be worried about it rusting, cracking, falling apart all together regardless of what the ad says. other than the reliability issue, if gains come second to looks and sound it seems reasonable.

although u could probably get looks and sound alot easier by puttin a set of chrome tips on the stock pipe or polishin the stock tips and removing the resonator and guttin the cat.

·
SoCal Prelude Member
746 Posts
My friend got an ebay exhaust for his integra. It cracked after 6 months. You get what you pay for..

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
Buying a non-stainless steel performance exhaust is asking for trouble. Exhaust are the first thing to rust on a car as they are constantly heat cycled. If you get it at least paint it with high temp primer and several coats of high temp ceramic paint made for BBQ grills or engines.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
please do not buy those ebay knock of shit, i personaly got S2 exhasut and i love it fitment perfect, for example my friend bought a cat back exhaust for hit 2000 civic si and the tip of the exhaust go side way after we put it on( not tilt the jdm way) so please dont

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
save up man - if its one thing ive learned about our cars is the fact that you either pay small and get crap... or you empty your savings, take out a loan, borrow from a few friends and get amazing haha - go hard go home - good find though - if you really want it i say get it to hold you off til you can get a really good one

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
the worldsport2 98bb6sh is selling is a great exhaust, definitely think about that one.

otherwise i remember there's a greddy evo2 somewhere for sale, and i believe that's one of a few exhausts mass manufactured with larger than average size piping.

·
Registered
458 Posts
you get what you paid for. decent exh setup costs around 500-1000 for our cars.

edit: might want to look into these brands. apexi, vibrant, greddy, and theres mugen and so on.

·
Registered
581 Posts
check out the exhaust clips for the 5th gen and base ur decision on that. personally i have a thermal CL that ive had for about a yr and a half and love it.

slightly larger than stock, great exhaust note and decent power gains. its ~500 on kidimport.com, u might need to do some savin first but its worth it.

Ace

·
Registered
316 Posts
Or you could let a shop do it custom, personally I found it to be the best price per gain when it comes to exhaust. Not to mention you can have any muffler you want. I went really far on my last lude, I had done a 2.5 collector with 2.5 High flow cat, resonator and muffler for about $350.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts