Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a 1985 honda prelud edual carbs 1.8l engine. It runs good, but the idle sucks. Every time I stop, the tachometer hits 0 and the engine dies. I was thinking of swaping the current carbs for a Weber. Which Weber do I need, and do I have to do something else in order to put the Weber in?

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'd try cleaning them first I've ripped mine apart to Manny times and got rid of all the vacuum lines well most of them there's a write up on here untangling the spaghetti and do that good write up

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Webers

take a look at this thread

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328341

This will help you find a manifold to suit.

Trouble is it's not just one carb you need, you'll need pair of Weber Carbs, unless you had a custom manifold made up that you could fit a single Weber DCOE carb to but would have to be a big one like 45 or 50 DCOE, or even a 55 if you want decent amount of power.

Also finding decent 2nd hand webers is like needle in hay stack buying new is much less risky and you'll get quite a few years touble free motoring out of them, they are also best used not for sitting around and going crusty.

Dual Weber's in the UK cheapest place I've found is near me about 50 miles and for a pair your still looking at around £700 and then add linkage kit and inlet manifold so for dollars including tax and shipping could be about $1000 easy then you have to find someone that can tune them VW beetle shop your best bet or any other vintage car tuner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome information, but yeah it does seem pricey. How about throw in keihins? Which ones would fit?

·
Registered
1985 Prelude
2 Posts
This may fix your problem, or at least provide a temporary workaround. Try adjusting the idle speed and mixture screws. See diagram below.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts